About This File
MinimalX started as a variant of Grila's MinimalHD. It was first released in 2016 as Minimal-AO, and after incorporating a slew of plugins I rebranded it as of version 5.0 MinimalX. Due to its reliance on certain plugin features, MinimalX requires LB version 9+ (Minimal-AO runs on older versions of LB, and you can still download it here but I do not plan to update AO). In many ways, MinimalX more closely resembles Grila's MinimalHD. I wanted to emphasize a simple setup and design elements that gracefully degrade if you are missing metadata for some games, etc. Its views have a consistent layout which I think makes navigation very easy. I settled on displaying all videos at 4:3 because I think that's better than displaying all at 16:9, and I think they look nice that way. Like AO, MinimalX is skinnable; for instructions how to customize MinimalX and turn some features off/on (for example if you want to see metadata in the sidebar as in the final two screenshots), read the PDF document bundled with the download. Some of the features:
- System Info: Just because I wanted to figure out how to display that stuff.
- Metadata Banners: Such as category, platform, genre, play mode, star rating etc.
- Icon-augmented Text List: For quickly navigating based on a platform or game metadata.
- Dynamic List Header: Helps you keep track of where you are when navigating through BigBox.
- AO Video Engine: It will by default play the current category, platform, or game video. If a platform (or playlist or filter) video is not found, it will loop through a random selection of that platform's games with crossfading action. If no platform or game videos are found, it will fall back to looping through a set of pertinent images. For game views, if a game video is not found, it will play a slideshow of the game's title screen, options, gameplay, etc, while the game music (if available) plays. The video engine supports VLC and WMP as configured in BigBox, though by default it's forced to WMP because this works better at this point and is more stable than VLC.
NOTE: Unblocking the ZIP file will also unblock the DLL (e.g., Ao.Bigbox.Themer.dll) contained therein, giving your computer permission to run this DLL. This is an issue with all plugins you might download from this forum. It's a Windows security feature. You basically have to vouch for a file before Windows will use it. I liken it to how a MS office document you download from an email runs in Protected Mode until you unblock it for printing, editing, etc. Below is the error you'll see if you don't unblock the file, as well as a screenshot of the solution.
If you still want to use the 'ol Minimal-AO, you can download it on this page, and here is the support thread:
And here is a shameless plug for my other themes:
What's New in Version 5.6 See changelog
* FIXED: updated to Ao.Bigbox.Themer v3.9.1 (bugfix) ... changes as follows
* FIXED: AutoscrollListbox was bombing out for Basic/Classic Win7 themes; @andyco47
* FIXED: windows perflib counters, now catching exception if corrupted; @andyco47
* FIXED: VLC player was broken with recent incorporation of BigBox.exe reference
* FIXED: game selected header was not working well for non-text game views