About This File
MinimalX started as a variant of Grila's MinimalHD. It was first released in 2016 as Minimal-AO, and after incorporating a slew of plugins I rebranded it as of version 5.0 MinimalX. Due to its reliance on certain plugin features, MinimalX requires LB version 9.4+. I wanted to emphasize a simple setup and design elements that gracefully degrade if you are missing metadata for some games, etc. Its views have a consistent layout which I think makes navigation very easy. I settled on displaying all videos at 4:3 because I think that's better than displaying all at 16:9, and I think they look nice that way. MinimalX is skinnable; for instructions how to customize MinimalX and turn some features off/on (for example if you want to see metadata in the sidebar as in the final two screenshots), read the PDF document bundled with the download. Some of the features:
- System Info: Just because I wanted to figure out how to display that stuff.
- Metadata Banners: Such as category, platform, genre, play mode, star rating etc.
- Icon-augmented Text List: For quickly navigating based on a platform or game metadata.
- Dynamic List Header: Helps you keep track of where you are when navigating through BigBox.
- AO Video Engine: It will by default play the current category, platform, or game video. If a platform (or playlist or filter) video is not found, it will loop through a random selection of that platform's games with crossfading action. If no platform or game videos are found, it will fall back to looping through a set of pertinent images. For game views, if a game video is not found, it will play a slideshow of the game's title screen, options, gameplay, etc, while the game music (if available) plays. The video engine supports VLC and WMP as configured in BigBox, though it works better with WMP in my opinion.
NOTE: Unblocking the ZIP file will also unblock the DLL (e.g., Ao.Bigbox.Themer.dll) contained therein, giving your computer permission to run this DLL. This is an issue with all plugins you might download from this forum. It's a Windows security feature. You basically have to vouch for a file before Windows will use it. I liken it to how a MS office document you download from an email runs in Protected Mode until you unblock it for printing, editing, etc. Below is the error you'll see if you don't unblock the file, as well as a screenshot of the solution.
And here is a shameless plug for my other themes:
What's New in Version 5.7 See changelog
* FIXED: updgraded Ao.Bigbox.Themer to version 3.9.2
* FIXED: above themer engine upgrade supports LB 9.4+
* FIXED: defaulting media player to that set in BigBox
* ADDED: title of game current selected in thumbnail lists
* FIXED: multiple issues resolved to jive with updated LB/BB 9.4+
* FIXED: EmbeddedAssembler was not being thumped to handle updated BigBox refs
* FIXED: properly setting PlayerImpl for all components of VideoLooperFramed
* FIXED: support for VLC 3.x, leveraging Meta.Vlc within Unbroken assemblies
* FIXED: marquee scrolling speed for short strings was too slow
* FIXED: changed EmbeddedAssembler to log instead of throw errors
* FIXED: memory leak in AVLF related to timers for datetime update
* ADDED: marquee scrolling stop-point alignment left/right/center
* ADDED: banner/button items to support additional game play modes
* ADDED: speed tweak for notes in AVLF, range 0.2-5x
* ADDED: Portuguese translation for theme elements