LaunchBox Community Forums

21 Screenshots

About This File

MinimalX started as a variant of Grila's MinimalHD. It was first released in 2016 as Minimal-AO, and after incorporating a slew of plugins I rebranded it as of version 5.0 MinimalX. Due to its reliance on certain plugin features, MinimalX requires LB version 9.10+. I wanted to emphasize a simple setup and design elements that gracefully degrade if you are missing metadata for some games, etc. Its views have a consistent layout which I think makes navigation very easy. I settled on displaying all videos at 4:3 because I think that's better than displaying all at 16:9, and I think they look nice that way. MinimalX is skinnable; for instructions how to customize MinimalX and turn some features off/on (for example if you want to see metadata in the sidebar as in the final two screenshots), read the PDF document bundled with the download. Some of the features:

• System Info: Just because I wanted to figure out how to display that stuff.
  • Metadata Banners: Such as category, platform, genre, play mode, star rating etc.
  • Icon-augmented Text List: For quickly navigating based on a platform or game metadata.
  • Dynamic List Header: Helps you keep track of where you are when navigating through BigBox.
  • AO Video Engine: It will by default play the current category, platform, or game video. If a platform (or playlist or filter) video is not found, it will loop through a random selection of that platform's games with crossfading action. If no platform or game videos are found, it will fall back to looping through a set of pertinent images. For game views, if a game video is not found, it will play a slideshow of the game's title screen, options, gameplay, etc, while the game music (if available) plays. The video engine supports VLC and WMP as configured in BigBox, though it works better with WMP in my opinion, and for this reason it forces WMP by default; this is configurable -- see the PDF manual bundled with this download.

NOTE: Unblocking the ZIP file will also unblock the DLL (e.g., Ao.Bigbox.Themer.dll) contained therein, giving your computer permission to run this DLL. This is an issue with all plugins you might download from this forum. It's a Windows security feature. You basically have to vouch for a file before Windows will use it. I liken it to how a MS office document you download from an email runs in Protected Mode until you unblock it for printing, editing, etc. Below is the error you'll see if you don't unblock the file, as well as a screenshot of the solution.

5934737766ef0_PluginSecurityError.jpg.a7a39192a7887d8c342ac8a0a08a239d.jpg

5934737219c73_ErrorFix.thumb.jpg.980d4fb15c165b106399b7899b39a6d5.jpg

And here is a shameless plug for my other themes:

• Refaktor - clean text-based view to suit 16:9 or 4:3 displays
  • Nostalgia - displays videos within viking's clean platform images
  • FluxCRT - displays videos within a mock CRT including curvature effect
  • Epoch09 - post-apocalyptic flavored theme (still a work in progress)

What's New in Version 5.9   See changelog

Released

* FIXED: upgraded to Ao.Bigbox.Themer v3.9.4 (requires LB-9.10+)
* FIXED: BitmapCache for grid compositions revised for snappier performance
* FIXED: Visibility="{Binding IndexVisibility}" in text views fixes memory leak

Ao.Bigbox.Themer Changelog...
https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/1747-aobigbox-customs/

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Game On 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Great theme. Im using Viking 4:3 video set and they look great on this theme. I would love a platform view where it has the platform details and notes on the left hand side of the video. Im going to try to do this myself but VS is pretty new for me. I work around developers but I am not one. Also, Could you put the Image selection in the game details instead of the game video playing. you already get to see the game video in the games wheel so I would rather see the box or the cart of the game.

• Like 1

Share this comment

I really like using this theme, but I have an issue that I'm not sure how to fix. Game titles with long text names go behind the TV in the Game Details. Is there any way to get the text to wrap to a second line? I attached a screenshot so you can see what I mean. Another issue I have seen is that some of the platform logos don't show up in the header in the Game List (screenshots for that too); doesn't effect all games, but it does for some of them. All that said, I really like the theme!!

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Share this comment

Awesome skin Eatkinola! Could I please bother someone for some help? How was the color of the text circled here changed from black to white? It is not modified by changing the DECO, MAIN, or EMPH parameters of the skin files. Thanks.

Untitled.jpg

Share this comment

4 hours ago, Xer0graV said:

Awesome skin Eatkinola! Could I please bother someone for some help? How was the color of the text circled here changed from black to white? It is not modified by changing the DECO, MAIN, or EMPH parameters of the skin files. Thanks.

Thanks!  Great question -- I'm redirecting your query to the theme's support thread (link is below).  I will post the answer there.

Share this comment

Eatkinola, just a quick que. How come the choice of Hellenic letter αΩ (alpha omega)?

Ευχαριστώ!

PS Great work btw!

• Like 1

Share this comment

Dunno really, I just like Hellenic letters. I certainly can't speak Greek, but google says "Παρακαλώ". ;) 

Share this comment

Great theme! My personal favorite =D

I just have one problem (i dont know if it's a config of bigbox or some kind of bug). UPDATE: NVM, it was a config from BigBox, it was changing to the mp3 musics, and it was really low the volume of them, my mistake!)

Edited by Hell_LordBR
  • Like 1

Share this comment

2 hours ago, Hell_LordBR said:

Great theme! My personal favorite =D

Glad you like it! Nice job figuring out that config issue.

Share this comment

On 9/1/2017 at 3:24 PM, eatkinola said:

I'll try to get to it this weekend.

@elitemanhood: Didn't have time to work on it this weekend, but have it on my todo list. I do have another theme in progress which has a time display; it's different than AO, but it'll be pretty sweet I think.

Share this comment

hello, I like very Much this Theme specially the vertical list view 3, but is there a way to make game list view 3 video to not stretch 16:9 video to 4:3 and just put the black bars?, i like the view because shows the front boxart and the rating but i don't like when i'm on platforms that the video is 16:9 to stretch to 4:3. (sorry for my elglish, I don't use it very often)

Share this comment

7 hours ago, DragoonDemon4 said:

is there a way to make game list view 3 video to not stretch 16:9 video to 4:3 and just put the black bars?

Great idea. I tried this in the past without success, which is why I made some views for 4:3 and some for 16:9 videos. It's not a perfect solution but the best I could do. In this case, the 16:9 view would be wheel 4.

While this doesn't fix the problem, you could check out a new theme I made that puts videos in the appropriate hardware, so videos are given the right aspect ratio. This theme is in alpha stages, but you can try if you want:

Share this comment

Hi, I'm new to launchbox so you'll have to pardon my ignorance on this, but is it possible to have a different background video per platform in Minimal-AO? As is, i am only able to change the background video for the entire catalogue, but it's the same background regardless of platform or game selected and I would really like to have the background change according to the platform and if possible, the game (the game video background would use the preview video for the game).

To be clear, I'm referring to the backgrounds found in Images/Styles/Backgrounds/MP4. These are the background I would like to change based on platform.

I am aware that I can place videos in either the theme videos folder or the main launchbox videos folder but these videos only show when cycling through the platform wheels, they don't actually play in the background (full window).

Edited by mcfilmmakers

Share this comment