About This File
WootLauncher provides game load/exit screens, bezels/overlays and a pause menu with built-in PDF viewer for manuals, as well as support for emulator savestates and images to remind users of emulator control mappings. I looked into using RL but didn't feel like going through the trouble of setting it up, so I instead ironically went through loads of trouble creating this plugin. It's not meant to do everything RL does (caveat: I've never used RL), but maybe it does enough and you'll find it useful. It's designed to be easy to setup but also quite customizable. It will not support all emulators but should support "enough"; tested with RetroArch, MAME, Dolphin, Demul, and PCSX2 which I think are the more common ones used (anyway what I use). It should work with other emulators, too.
The PDF bundled with the download describes how to quickly setup and also how to customize ... so I'll not repeat that here. You can also download the PDF guide separately. Please use the support thread if you have any questions or spot bugs. When reporting issues, supply the log file and any relevant screenshots to help troubleshoot. It's worth mentioning this is not compatible with the new built-in game startup screens for LB/BB, and it likely never will be as it uses a different window management strategy. Absolute requirements for using WootLauncher are:
1. LaunchBox / BigBox version >= 9.2
2. Disable the built-in LB/BB game startup screens (which are present as of 9.2)
3. Do not try to use both RL and WootLauncher; it will not likely work
4. Configure your emulators to run in windowed mode
NOTE: If criteria 1 and 2 are not met, the plugin will simply disable itself.
ADDITIONAL PLUGINS: The following plugins are inactivated by default, but they are included in Ao.Bigbox.Dropins and you may activate them by editing Ao.Bigbox.Dropins.dll.config. Look for the Active parameter in the GAME MANUAL VIEWER and PLAYLIST GENERATOR sections of this file.
GAME MANUAL VIEWER: Adds menu item "Game Manual 8D" (this string is customizable ) to the game details menu, if the game has an associated PDF manual. When activated, the PDF will be read and converted to images on the fly for display within BigBox; it will not launch an external program. As occasionally some manuals take a few seconds to load, an animated GIF is displayed while you wait. The gif is currently a space invader, but I might add customization to this in the future. When viewing the PDF manual, use the keys below. These are the standard keys used to navigate around BigBox; gamepads are supported based on how buttons are mapped in BigBox:
- PgUp: advance to next page (if there is one)
- PgDn: advance to previous page (if there is one)
- Arrow Keys: pan around the image for a particular page if zoomed in
- Enter: zoom in by one step, and if already at max zoom with wrap around to min zoom
- Escape: close the viewer (viewer also closes when clicking out the box or alt-tabbing)
PLAYLIST GENERATOR: This adds playlists to your library but does not otherwise alter your library. Playlists are regenerated each time LB/BB is started. You can add your own media (videos, banners, etc) for the playlist, in the same way you would for manually generated playlists in LaunchBox. This media will not be overwritten when the playlists are regenerated. You can customize the names of these playlists and number of games added to each. See the enclosed documentation for more info, but briefly:
- Everything: all games in the library
- Favorite: 10 most favorite games, per the star rating you assign to games in your DB
- Frequent: 10 most frequently played games, according to play count tracked by LaunchBox
- Random: 10 randomly selected games
- Recent: 10 most recently played games