WootLauncher provides game load/exit screens, bezels/overlays and a pause menu with built-in PDF viewer for manuals, as well as support for emulator savestates and images of control mappings. I looked into using RL but didn't feel like going through the trouble of setting it up, so I instead ironically went through loads of trouble creating this plugin. It's not meant to do everything RL does (caveat: I've never used RL), but maybe it does enough and you'll find it useful. It's designed to be easy to setup but also quite customizable. It will not support all emulators but should support "enough"; tested with RetroArch, MAME, Dolphin, Demul, and PCSX2 which I think are the more common ones used (anyway what I use). It should work with other emulators, too. In addition to the built-in look-and-feel, WL can be integrated with Bigbox themes for a seamless experience; here it is integrated with FluxCRT:
The PDF bundled with the download describes how to quickly setup and also how to customize ... so I'll not repeat that here. You can also download the PDF guide separately. Please use the support thread if you have any questions or spot bugs. When reporting issues, supply the log file and any relevant screenshots to help troubleshoot. It's worth mentioning this is not compatible with the new built-in game startup screens for LB/BB, and it likely never will be as it uses a different window management strategy. Absolute requirements for using WootLauncher are:
1. LaunchBox / BigBox version >= 9.2
2. Disable built-in LB/BB startup and pause screens (see PDF)
3. Do not try to use both RL and WootLauncher; it will not go well
4. Configure your emulators to run in windowed mode
NOTE: If criteria 1 and 2 are not met, the plugin will simply disable itself.
ADDITIONAL PLUGINS: This DLL (Ao.Bigbox.Dropins.dll) contains additional plugins besides WootLauncher, but they are inactivated by default. You can activate these other plugins by editing the DLL's config file (Ao.Bigbox.Dropins.dll.config). See the Ao.Bigbox Customs download page for additional details about these other plugins.
* FIXED: WL slightly jarring transition when quitting from the pause menu
* FIXED: WL load/exit window size off by one pixel, bumped margin from 6 to 7px
* FIXED: WL occasional error or lockup when BB exiting if W32 hooks still alive
* ADDED: WL pause keyboard/gamepad button combo can also resume from pause; @JaysArcade
* ADDED: WL handling for multiple keyboard-command mappings in BB (as of 9.8b1 update)
* ADDED: WL themeable (all views), BB theme-specific WL overrides are also now allowed
* ADDED: WL built-in versions of Loading and Exiting screens for more efficiency
* ADDED: WL loose versions of pause menu dialogs, for tweakability and to give examples
* ADDED: log error message when using more than one instance of a dropin; @JaysArcade
* ADDED: PlatformExporter option to include broken/hidden games when exporting
* ADDED: identifying menu icon for LB dropins PlatformAuditor, Exporter, etc.