LaunchBox Community Forums

Neon Deluxe Arcade - Big Box Theme v2.1

(2 reviews)

18 Screenshots

About This File

Note: This thread will not be pushed to the front in the "whats new" section once updated in the future, if you want notifications for future updates be sure to follow this page by using the follow button in the upper right corner.

Neon Deluxe Arcade - Big Box Theme

Huge thanks goes out to @Hexxxer for his amazing theme (FutureState) framework and controls (HexControls.dll), without his work I couldn't have made this theme.

-----------------------------------------------------

INTRO

This theme is a sequel to my previous Futurestate Neon Deluxe theme, it looks a lot like the theme but has some features that the prequel had not; like embedded fonts (no need to install fonts, thanks to @Jason Carr) and much more, you just have to see it for yourself. My main goal with this theme is to create a virtual arcade building kinda like 'New Retro Arcade'.

Neon Deluxe Arcade is a series of themes and elements, if you like you can download these to accompany the complete theme:

Neon Deluxe Arcade - Launchbox Theme

Neon Deluxe Arcade - Startup Theme (Street)

Neon Deluxe Arcade - Startup Theme (Inside)

Mr. RetroLust's Realistic Retroarch Bezels (Same style > Dimmed lit retro gaming)

This theme uses a softer version of Marquee screen FX, if you like there is more choice at Realistic Marquee Monitor FX

Transparent background Mame PCB's (circuit boards): Over here

You can find transparent background arcade cabinets here at Arcade Cabinets Project 2.0

Video of early version:

Video of v2.0 with a new view:

-----------------------------------------------------

INSTALLATION

Download the theme from Big Box's theme manager or download the zip file here and extract the content to Launchbox/Themes/NeonDeluxeArcade/

You might need to unblock the .DLL's in the plugin folder for them to work properly.

To make the placeholder work which shows the Cabinets/Advertisement Flyer - Back/Box Back in the screenshots it first needs some changes in your image priority settings within Launchbox. As the cabinets don't have their own placeholder to be coded in a theme I used the Cart 3D placeholder as I figured most people will only use one cart view or can set Cart 3D in image priorities to Cart Front. You can control a lot to your liking within image priorities, as long as you remember it's Cart 3D for this placeholder.
My setup in image priorities within Launchbox options:

727268982__ImagePrioritysettingsexample.thumb.png.3c7761005ade76d872eb6d5317a0fe02.pngTIPS

1. This theme uses images and video pretty heavy, it could run slower on older systems. I recommend doing the following to speed up Big Box greatly: 

• Uncheck all Background Images in launchbox/settings/image priorities
  • Set all transitions to "None" in BigBox settings
  • Use the Clean Up media tool in launchbox/tools/Clean Up Media... (this can really speed up lists with thousands of games and duplicate media)
  • Let Launchbox cache your images

2. This theme is probably only fit for use on a 16:9 aspect ratio.

3. If you use a 4K display you probably have to set the Windows dpi settings to 200% in order to keep the layout intact.

Hope you like and enjoy! 🤘

What's New in Version v2.1   See changelog

Released

Changes in v2.1
- Adjustments in view 3 (the arcade cabinet view) video/screenshot screen is now centered/scaled better so you can still see details on the edges of the screen. The marquee above the cabinet is also centered/scaled better so there won't be any cut-offs from the marquee images.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Holy sh*t! This looks AMAZING!

I need to get home and give it a try! Hopefully my minipc can handle it :)

Thank you as always Lust for your insane and sexy work!

• Game On 1

Share this comment

50 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

Holy sh*t! This looks AMAZING!

I need to get home and give it a try! Hopefully my minipc can handle it :)

Thank you as always Lust for your insane and sexy work!

Haha and thank you for your support brother ;) Please let me know if your mini pc could handle the views, theview with the smaller video and all boxart should run smoother I hope.

Share this comment

7 hours ago, Rincewind said:

Looks fantastic @Mr. RetroLust I've not been home yet but it's working on an old computer at work fine. Great work on this as always

Thanks so much bro ;) Good to hear it's working on older systems!

Share this comment

Update 1.2

• Clock is now visible on all options pages, it has a different font and style and it's positioning is now fixed

221410983_OptionsView.thumb.jpg.92946be1736b60330503498474f5a0c1.jpg

• Like 1

Share this comment

2 minutes ago, kpop said:

the 4.3 layout does not work now, would there be a way to have both ratios?

in the future I might be able to make it in another aspect ratio

Share this comment

Update 1.3

1. Year, developer, publisher text in details/list view now have a lighter color to make 'em pop more

2. Marquee overlay image (scratches and reflection) path wasn't linked correctly (linked to external folder), now it's included in theme's images folder and linked correctly

3. Platform marquee view now has the same effects as game marquee view

4. Rating image icons set to higher quality rendering in some views (no more jagged edges)

5. Text Year, Ratings and filename in Wheel Games Views font sizes now fixed; as large as the description text, unless long filename it will scale down to fit space

6. Background image file 'backgroundwithlogo.jpg' now has more neon light glow

7. Replaced some unused views with default xaml files as some gave errors when switching themes (due to leftover coding experiments)

Share this comment

@Mr. RetroLust Thanks for both themes, they are amazing!!

I'm facing an issue with bigbox, it seems that the video and images looks big and some of the right screen is bloqued due this... any idea??

Thanks again for your effort on this!

Captura.PNG

Share this comment

16 minutes ago, barra51 said:

@Mr. RetroLust Thanks for both themes, they are amazing!!

I'm facing an issue with bigbox, it seems that the video and images looks big and some of the right screen is bloqued due this... any idea??

Thanks again for your effort on this!

Captura.PNG

Resolution or Windows scaling issue?

• Like 1

Share this comment

12 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Glad you like @barra51

What @neil9000 said, and mostly check if your text scaling settings are correct. At which resolution are you running big box? 

Thanks @neil9000 and @Mr. RetroLust for your help with this.

At the moment, i don't modify anything from resolution settings, before I had another theme: unified running with no issues.

Also, I have applied your theme to launchbox, but seems that the font and "top" bar is different than yours..

Captura.PNG

Share this comment

23 minutes ago, barra51 said:

Thanks @neil9000 and @Mr. RetroLust for your help with this.

At the moment, i don't modify anything from resolution settings, before I had another theme: unified running with no issues.

Also, I have applied your theme to launchbox, but seems that the font and "top" bar is different than yours..

Captura.PNG

Seems your resolution is below 1080p is that correct?

Share this comment

6 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Seems your resolution is below 1080p is that correct?

I don't know how to check that in launchbox/bigbox configuration, but my screen resolution is 1360*768

EDIT1: I have tried modifying multiple configurations from launchbox/bigbox but still some weird screens are not configured, pfaCaptura2.thumb.PNG.38e65bc8f615bdc3358a50f5213819d6.PNGCaptura.thumb.PNG.a0d2e94c5537cafba7ca12674dc10941.PNG

Edited by barra51

Share this comment

Ok that explains a lot, I haven't tested these themes on lower than 1080p resolutions. Like I said in the description of the theme; "

2. This theme is probably only fit for use on a 16:9 aspect ratio, as I did use some absolute positioning of elements.

3. If you use a 4K display you probably have to set the Windows dpi settings to 200% in order to keep the layout intact."

You can try to lower the dpi text scaling in windows so hopefully you get the text to fit the same aspect ratio or switch to a higher resolution monitor.

Share this comment

Changes in 1.4
- Vertical wheel game views; the Star rating bar has been replaced with Developer/Publisher, both star ratings can be found in left details panel
- Current time is now displaying in upper right corner through digital clock
- Game details and text list view now have video or screenshot beneath text

Share this comment

Here my resolution is 1080p and still it cuts parts of the theme, especially in the view that shows the back box on the right side.
This error also occurs in the startup theme, which carts and boxes are also cut.☹️

Share this comment

3 hours ago, alissongamer said:

Here my resolution is 1080p and still it cuts parts of the theme, especially in the view that shows the back box on the right side.
This error also occurs in the startup theme, which carts and boxes are also cut.☹️

Have you tried changing dpi scaling? Please add some screenshots/photos of what you're seeing.

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

Share this comment

Great theme.

One qustion though. Using Big Box, I have set Fanart images in the Platforms but when the wheel stops at a Platform, the background does not change and keeps showing the Neon deluxe arcade wallpaper.

Any hit?

Thanx

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Thanx. What is the best way to show somehow a picture of the system? (I guees on the wheel since th background is static)

Congratulations for your excellent aesthetics

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Wally said:

Thanx. What is the best way to show somehow a picture of the system? (I guees on the wheel since th background is static)

Congratulations for your excellent aesthetics

Within launchbox/images/platforms/--platform of choice-- are sub folders;

Banner - Images in this folder are used if you have a marquee screen set up. I use this folder for the most excellent images by @Styphelus in my own setup see: https://emumovies.com/files/file/3480-console-computer-and-arcade-system-boxes/

Device - Here you can put .png images with a transparent background of a console/device, you'll see I used this one for several views when cycling through the different platform views (you can assign a key or button to switch views in big box settings), there is a collection to download somewhere with transparent background consoles and devices you'll have to search for it in downloads or on emumovies I believe.

Fanart - This is used for background images in most themes but  it can be used for other images as well, you could use Styphelus images for this folder as well if you don't use a second (marquee) screen. In this example of platform view 2 you can see fanart used on the left side and device image on the right.

PlatformWheel2FiltersView-01.jpg.408e9e4

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Oh, so the "background" is not static as I thought. It can indeed be replaced by Fanart.

Strange is that I have put images into Fanart folders but nothing appears.

Once I get home I will check your useful links

Thanx again for your assistance!

Share this comment

The content of the fanart folder is being used to display a platform image on the left side in platform view 2 in this theme (see example image), other themes probably use it to display background images , I can't say for sure though. This theme uses its own background image. 

Share this comment