LaunchBox Community Forums

WoodPanels 3.6.0

(5 reviews)

14 Screenshots

About This File

WoodPanels has the old school retro feel of playing games on an old TV in a room with bad, green carpeting, but golden wooden paneled walls.  The video game console or platform appears above or beside the television to match that look and feel.  It is paired with a set of 8-bit fonts to complete the experience.

• Designed for 16:9 screens on a 1080p monitor.
  • Unique views for 45 platforms with game videos, game 3D/2D box art, and game cart images.
  • Consoles are paired with one of five different TVs from the same decade they were released.
  • "Wall View" for looking at game boxes on shelves is accompanied by the platform logo and image of the original console packaging.

Trailer:

Installation and Setup Instructions:

Spoiler

Unzip in LaunchBox/Themes/WoodPanels. In BigBox under Options>Views>Theme> choose "WoodPanels"
1. To ensure you're viewing the image of the console and TV alongside the game list, go into the BigBox Menu (hit Esc on your keyboard or back on your controller) and select "View Platforms".
2. To view the carousel of devices in your platform view, go into Options>Views>Platform List View> and select "Platform Wheel 1".
3. Lastly, to make sure you keep this view the next time you start BigBox, go into Options>Views>Default Startup View> and select "Platforms".
4. For N64, SNES, Jaguar, Genesis, Sega 32X, Atari 5200, and NeoGeo, you need to download the game cart images AND you need to set your LaunchBox settings so your fallback images are disabled for this, otherwise when you have a missing game cart image it will pull something else and look...bad.  LaunchBox Options>Media>Cart Front Priorities>Uncheck all but "Cart - Front"
5. To enable a the "Wall View", change BigBox Options>Views>Games List View>Wall View.  Switch it back to "Text List with Details" if you decide to go back.

To replace the background image (in case you don't literally want wood panels), just replace the png with your desired 1080p background image (png file) under the directory:
\LaunchBox\Themes\WoodPanels\Media\Background\

Startup Video:

Spoiler

This is a startup video I created for my theme.  It features a logo for "Nescade" which is what I call my multi-emulator PC, as it sits inside of an old Nintendo's shell.  I commissioned Rushjet1 a while back to compose an original piece of 8-bit music specifically for this video.  Hope you all enjoy it!

Instructions for use: Place video file in the LaunchBox folder under /Videos/Startup/

Theme was created using the COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru

Edited by BMovieBen

What's New in Version 3.6.0   See changelog

Released

• Added the original Microsoft Xbox
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

2 hours ago, retrogamer459 said:

Excited for the version with additional info!  How close do you suspect you are to releasing it?  My project is coming along rather nicely and I think this will be the finishing touch to bring it all together.  3d printing a case to merge my external hdd with my mini pc now.

It's a lot of work to add that, believe it or not.  Can you give me a prioritized list of platforms/consoles?  I can get a version out faster if I don't have to do every single platform.

3 hours ago, retrogamer459 said:

Excited for the version with additional info!  How close do you suspect you are to releasing it?  My project is coming along rather nicely and I think this will be the finishing touch to bring it all together.  3d printing a case to merge my external hdd with my mini pc now.

Is adding it to the game list view platform specific?

I have pretty much every system on my build. Most of them arent supported by the theme and show up as the nes.

Nes

Snes

N64

Gamecube

Gameboy

Wii

Playstation

Playstation 2

Sega genesis

Im not really in a rush. But if you decide that you dont want to work on it and care to share files maybe i can teach myself how to do the rest of the platforms

Thanks for putting so much effort into this!  I greatly appreciate it. This is my dream build finally getting away from sbc like rpi

Edited by retrogamer459

On 1/25/2021 at 12:20 PM, retrogamer459 said:

Is adding it to the game list view platform specific?

Unfortunately the way I set it up, it is platform specific.  I treated each platform as special and unique so I could modify the width of the gameslist and size/placement of the box art and have more freedom overall with the look.  Making a universal change means making that change one at a time for every supported platform as a result (the tradeoff!)

You'll probably be ready to go before I get to this.  Attached to this post are the COMMUNITY creator project files for what I started (only modified the default gameslist view).  If you need any PSD source files for the TVs or Consoles let me know, I can send you a dropbox link.

WoodPanels Meta (in progress) COMMUNITY project files.zip

Update 2/25/2021: After looking into this some more, I have decided I will not be pursuing adding the metadata to the theme proper.  I'd have to add it one at a time to each platform, which is a lot of work, and it's not something I personally prefer with this theme.  You can still use the project files attached to extend the theme yourselves using the COMMUNITY theme editor, though!  Let me know if you have questions about the theme and I'll do my best to answer them.

Edited by BMovieBen
  • Like 1

I really enjoy this theme, it suits my lounge HTPC perfectly!

Will there be any further updates made to this theme post 3.3.0? Nintendo Switch emulation is getting better all the time, could we see a Switch theme added soon to this pack? :)

15 hours ago, russticles said:

I really enjoy this theme, it suits my lounge HTPC perfectly!

Will there be any further updates made to this theme post 3.3.0? Nintendo Switch emulation is getting better all the time, could we see a Switch theme added soon to this pack? :)

Sure I can add the Switch. Give me a few days to get to it. Any other systems you need while I'm in there?

4 hours ago, BMovieBen said:

Sure I can add the Switch. Give me a few days to get to it. Any other systems you need while I'm in there?

Wow, awesome!

No that's pretty much the only major system I can think of I'd like included. :)

On 4/7/2021 at 7:30 PM, russticles said:

Wow, awesome!

No that's pretty much the only major system I can think of I'd like included. :)

Nintendo Switch has been added to the latest version, please take a look.  It will take some time before it makes its way into the the Big Box theme gallery.

On 4/9/2021 at 12:40 PM, BMovieBen said:

Nintendo Switch has been added to the latest version, please take a look.  It will take some time before it makes its way into the the Big Box theme gallery.

Thank you so much!

• Game On 1