LaunchBox Community Forums

AllNightLong 1.31

(5 reviews)

18 Screenshots

About This File

AllNightLong is trying to be a clean simple theme with little animation and stuff going around.

Designed for 16:9, 16:10 and 4:3 screens.

Platform navigation features banner images for 52 different platforms. Includes default playlist image in the themes playlist folder.

Supported Views:

• Platform Wheel 1
  • Platform Wheel 2
  • Text Filters View
  • Text Games View
  • Horizontal Wheel 1 Games View
  • Horizontal Wheel 2 Games View  
  • Vertical Wheel 2 Games View
  • Vertical Wheel 2 Games View

Background color:

Change the background image/color. (LaunchBox\Themes\AllNightLong\Media\Custom Assets\).  The default background file name is "default-bg". So change the backgound file name to this and it will show up in the theme.

There are now 5 alternatives or you can make your own also. The only limiting factor is the text color, which will always be white, so white or very light backgrounds will not work.

Credits:

Theme was created by @thimolor
Theme was created using COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru 

Uses Google Fonts: Barlow and Barlow Condenced Designed by Jeremy Tribby.
Platform Text Filters View Screenshot uses video made by @viking as a platform background.
This theme uses some of the device images from EmulationStation theme Tronkyjared (https://github.com/cowboyjeeper/tronkyjared).
Many device images and system logos are taken from Wikipedia.

@Crylen did many new platform banners, that are now added to the theme.

Support:

Support will be slow, sorry for that. If you run into issues concerning the custom banner images, please refresh the images first. Also please check your LaunchBox image options for fallbacks. I could not test all the platforms so there could be file naming issues.

Special Thanks:

@bundangdon

@Retro808

@proghodet

@Tromzy

I received crucial feedback from these fine gamers. Without them, the theme would be less refined.

What's New in Version 1.31   See changelog

Released

- Changed Game Details View layout
- Platform Horizontal Wheel background images load faster
- Fixed few text overflows on 4:3 ratio

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4
  • Unusual Gem 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

6 minutes ago, Dexll said:

I created a Windows Platform Categories image and put it in \LaunchBox\Themes\AllNightLong\Images\Platform Categories\Device, but it still used the one from \LaunchBox\Themes\AllNightLong\Images\Platforms\Device.

Any way to make it use the 'Platform Categories' one so it matches the alignment the others?

I don't want to replace the one in 'Platforms' because it messes up the aligment of that view.

Windows.png

I don't think there is a way. Maybe someone wiser can prove me wrong.

Oh well.  I found it does work in Platform List View:  Platform Wheel 2.  Made this banner, dropped it in \LaunchBox\Themes\AllNightLong\Images\Platforms\Banner, and it sees it. 

But I do dig that lightening effect.  Maybe future update?  :) 

Windows.jpg

Edited by Dexll
  • Thanks 1

I want to preface this suggestion by first saying I feel this is an excellent theme.  Easily my stand out favorite by far.  The lights out vibe is appreciated and well executed.

That said, the only thing I find frustrating is how the video dims and gets covered by text just after switching to a game.  The video is the perfect size, but then it goes dark and is obscures by text.  Selecting the game then gives you a disappointingly smaller video.  Though to be clear, the size of the video on the game view is not a problem, it is only made a problem because I wanted to see the video without text on it.  If the video on the game select view didn't have text on it, the size of the video on the game view would be of no concern.  (albeit, I think it could be bigger :))  And I know it will be brought up, so I will say yes you can then choose to view it in full screen, but by this time the video has now restarted 3x and I feel it is completely unnecessary just to see the video.  

TL;DR:  I'd sincerely appreciate if the game description was either moved to the empty space left of the video or just be removed from game select view.

If this was changed, it would be IMHO... the perfect theme.

Untitled.jpg

I'am not making anymore official updated builds to this theme. Everyone who wants to change the wheel items and remove videos/texts, should build their own with the Community Theme Creator for BigBox

Hi there, me again. I'm missing the background to Gameboy Advance in BigBox. But looking at the image folder, I see it's there. How do I associate that background with the folder? It's labeled "Nintendo Gameboy Advance" so I don't know why it's not auto-grabbing the background. Thanks to you!

1 hour ago, Rockovissi said:

Hi there, me again. I'm missing the background to Gameboy Advance in BigBox. But looking at the image folder, I see it's there. How do I associate that background with the folder? It's labeled "Nintendo Gameboy Advance" so I don't know why it's not auto-grabbing the background. Thanks to you!

Is your platform named Nintendo Gameboy Advance? The image file name should be exactly the same. You could rename it again to be sure. Then remember to refresh the platform images from BigBox options.

1 hour ago, thimolor said:

Is your platform named Nintendo Gameboy Advance? The image file name should be exactly the same. You could rename it again to be sure. Then remember to refresh the platform images from BigBox options.

I found out what the problem was. The image was named "Nintendo Game Boy Advanced" and not "Nintendo Game Boy Advance". Thanks for setting me on the right path!

Edited by Rockovissi

8 minutes ago, Rockovissi said:

I found out what the problem was. The image was named "Nintendo Game Boy Advanced" and not "Nintendo Game Boy Advance". Thanks for setting me on the right path!

hmm, try to make a dummy image with the same name, if it shows up, then the original image file is messed.

4 minutes ago, thimolor said:

hmm, try to make a dummy image with the same name, if it shows up, then the original image file is messed.

The original file name was messed as it was “advanced” and not “advance”. I changed it to “advance” and it was showing up. I think it was in the fan art folder.

Edited by Rockovissi
  • Game On 1

Would it be possible to request a new View, based on this existing one (see attached screenshot), but instead of using the poster art, use Clear Logos? I'd also like to use this view with a custom playlist (Favorites only). I'm happy to make the code-level change myself, I'm just not sure where to look. Any guidance is appreciated. 

Image from iOS (7).jpg

22 minutes ago, megashub said:

Would it be possible to request a new View, based on this existing one (see attached screenshot), but instead of using the poster art, use Clear Logos? I'd also like to use this view with a custom playlist (Favorites only). I'm happy to make the code-level change myself, I'm just not sure where to look. Any guidance is appreciated. 

Image from iOS (7).jpg

Hi there, use this:

And this:

Have you tried my new theme? It's has a lot in common with All Night Long. There are also the Community Theme Creator Files for tweaking.

5 hours ago, thimolor said:

Hi there, use this:

I tried using the tool but nothing I've tried so far can get it to run right. I've tried unblocking the zip file, running it as admin, etc. Still can't get past the error it throws when you try to run it.

5 hours ago, thimolor said:

Have you tried my new theme? It's has a lot in common with All Night Long. There are also the Community Theme Creator Files for tweaking.

I took a look at it, but it looks like you're using covers/boxes for the game art too, and not clear logos. So I'd still need to tweak your theme as well, right?

Here's the part in AllNightLong's WheelGamesView.xaml that I think is what I need to edit:

<!-- Wheel -->
			<Grid x:Name="Wheel" Panel.ZIndex="230"  >
				<Grid.RowDefinitions>
					<RowDefinition  Height="{Binding ElementName=Prop_Wheel_H, Path=Text}" />
				</Grid.RowDefinitions>
				<Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
					<ColumnDefinition Width="{Binding ElementName=Prop_Wheel_W, Path=Text}" />
				</Grid.ColumnDefinitions>

<coverFlow:FlowControl x:Name="FlowControl" Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="0" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" CoverFactory="{Binding CoverFactory}"
					Opacity="1.0" ImageType="Boxes" CurveAmount="0" VisibleCount="5" PageSize="16"
					CameraZPosition="3" ItemZPosition="0.8" SelectedItemZPosition="1" Spacing="2" RotationAmount="0" MaxVerticalImageResolutionOverride="600" RenderTransformOrigin=".5,.5" >
					<coverFlow:FlowControl.RenderTransform>
						<TransformGroup>
							<RotateTransform Angle="0" />
							<ScaleTransform ScaleX="1" ScaleY="1" />
							<SkewTransform  AngleX="0" AngleY="0" />
						</TransformGroup>
					</coverFlow:FlowControl.RenderTransform>

If this looks right, would I just change ImageType="Boxes" to ImageType="Clear Logos", to start with?

5 hours ago, megashub said:

I tried using the tool but nothing I've tried so far can get it to run right. I've tried unblocking the zip file, running it as admin, etc. Still can't get past the error it throws when you try to run it.

I took a look at it, but it looks like you're using covers/boxes for the game art too, and not clear logos. So I'd still need to tweak your theme as well, right?

Here's the part in AllNightLong's WheelGamesView.xaml that I think is what I need to edit:

If this looks right, would I just change ImageType="Boxes" to ImageType="Clear Logos", to start with?

I can make you a version of the All Night Long theme that uses the clear logos. Wait just a moment.

Edited by thimolor

Hi again. I took a look at the theme and there already is a vertical view with clear logos. Just take a look at the screenshots:

Assign hotkey for the view change, so it's easier to browse through the different views.

5 minutes ago, thimolor said:

there already is a vertical view with clear logos

I swear I went through all the views in BB and didn't see one... but I'll go check again. Off the top of your head, would that view work for a custom playlist? I have an auto-populating Favorites list that I want to use this view on.  

Edited by megashub

30 minutes ago, megashub said:

I swear I went through all the views in BB and didn't see one... but I'll go check again. Off the top of your head, would that view work for a custom playlist? I have an auto-populating Favorites list that I want to use this view on.  

Yes, it should work fine.

11 hours ago, megashub said:

<!-- Wheel -->
			<Grid x:Name="Wheel" Panel.ZIndex="230"  >
				<Grid.RowDefinitions>
					<RowDefinition  Height="{Binding ElementName=Prop_Wheel_H, Path=Text}" />
				</Grid.RowDefinitions>
				<Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
					<ColumnDefinition Width="{Binding ElementName=Prop_Wheel_W, Path=Text}" />
				</Grid.ColumnDefinitions>

<coverFlow:FlowControl x:Name="FlowControl" Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="0" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" CoverFactory="{Binding CoverFactory}"
					Opacity="1.0" ImageType="Boxes" CurveAmount="0" VisibleCount="5" PageSize="16"
					CameraZPosition="3" ItemZPosition="0.8" SelectedItemZPosition="1" Spacing="2" RotationAmount="0" MaxVerticalImageResolutionOverride="600" RenderTransformOrigin=".5,.5" >
					<coverFlow:FlowControl.RenderTransform>
						<TransformGroup>
							<RotateTransform Angle="0" />
							<ScaleTransform ScaleX="1" ScaleY="1" />
							<SkewTransform  AngleX="0" AngleY="0" />
						</TransformGroup>
					</coverFlow:FlowControl.RenderTransform>

What errors were you getting when running the Theme Creator? take a screen shot of the errors

10 hours ago, thimolor said:

Yes, it should work fine.

Yeah... I'm officially a dumbass. I mapped a key to switch view, found it almost immediately and it's exactly what I was looking for. If LB/BB ever gets a built-in n00b tutorial or new startup tour mode, mapping this key and explaining that this is by far the best way to evaluate themes should be a requirement... it honestly never occurred to me to try using a switch view hotkey over just changing the options in the Views menu.

...now if I could just get BB to start up directly in the playlist and not have to select it first I'd be all set...

but it looks like that's still not an option?

1 hour ago, megashub said:

Image from iOS (4).jpg

this is because you did not unblock the .zip file before unzipping.

Download the latest version 1.0.8.97, UNBLOCK then unzip and you should be fine

1 hour ago, y2guru said:

this is because you did not unblock the .zip file before unzipping.

Download the latest version 1.0.8.97, UNBLOCK then unzip and you should be fine

That's what I meant when I said earlier that I'd unblocked the zip. Sorry I wasn't clearer. Still had the problem after doing that. I can try it again, but after a few tries already, I'd given up on it.

Update: I used a PowerShell command to forcibly Unblock the file, then deleted the previous attempt entirely, and unzipped it fresh. From there, it ran fine. /shrug

Now that I have it running, I tried to copy in the theme out of the Launchbox/Themes directory into the editor's My Theme Projects. When I run the editor, it sees the theme in the pulldown, but nothing about the theme displays in the editor... I tried Googling around a bit to see if anyone mentions a workflow to import existing themes into the editor, but so far I've not found anything. As always, any tips/tricks are appreciated.

Edited by megashub