Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Neptune 1.0

   (1 review)

4 Screenshots

About This File

A LaunchBox Custom Theme I developed to help me understand the code behind themes. Because of this, most items within the XAML files are commented, which were added in order to help me keep track of what was going on. Sources of inspiration include the Lambda theme and GOG Galaxy.

The notable item this theme accomplishes is the tab approach to the Game Details Page.

Please feel free to use parts of this theme in your own creations.

Installation

  • Extract the Neptune folder into LaunchBox\LBThemes
  • In LaunchBox, open Options, under Visuals > Main Window Theme and select Neptune from the dropdown.

What's New in Version 1.0   See changelog

Released

No changelog available for this version.

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4
 Share


User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Will definitely check this out. @faeran, based on your knowledge, would it be possible to make a dual-screen theme? For example, to have the system tree and games list on one screen, with the game details pane (including info, video, snapshots etc) on the other? This is something I would really like to do if possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

Will definitely check this out. @faeran, based on your knowledge, would it be possible to make a dual-screen theme? For example, to have the system tree and games list on one screen, with the game details pane (including info, video, snapshots etc) on the other? This is something I would really like to do if possible. 

Currently not possible, but is on my list of things I'd personally enjoy tackling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That would be awesome @C-Beats. Would open up a world of possibilities theme-wise, enable a more immersive experience and really make use of the available screen real estate! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trying this out now @faeran. First impressions:

Platform tree and game images view are nice and clean, due to the dark grey background. There seems to be a tiny amount of change to the background when a game is selected; does an image load in the background but just very dark or with maximum transparency? I think it would be nice to have this effect a bit more visible. In the game images view, is the box art faded a little? When you hover the mouse cursor over a game it brightens. I'm not keen on having the artwork faded - would rather show it properly.

I like the way that the selected platform is clearly highlighted in the platform tree. Would it be posslbe to also highlight any parent platforms/categories for the selected platform? This way the user can quickly see which platform category, platform and playlists is being selected.

In terms of the game details pane, I love the tabs. Much better than scrolling through one big list. It would be great to have 3 tabs however - for game description, info and images. Currently the game description and game info are grouped together in the same tab, necessitating the game info to be in a much smaller font and in a different colour text - and still necessitating scrolling in some cases. A separate tab would allow the game info to be displayed properly in all its glory. I note that for MAME, the MAME high scores is in a separate tab, which is nice.

I'm not a big fan of the top half of the front box image being displayed in a slightly faded fashion at the top of the game details pane - especially when the game video plays over the top of it. It's a bit distracting, cluttered looking and also likely a duplication of media as most users would probably be browsing by front box art anyway (though 3D boxes probably come a close second). Faded fanart or screenshot might serve better here. The video itself could probably be made a bit bigger.

Do you think it would be relatively easy for me (a coding n00b), given that you have commented most items within the XAML files, to make the above adjustments?

Edit: perhaps not so easy lol. My rudimentary attempt at creating an extra tab failed. I just copied the below in the hope that it would add an extra tab:

                            <TabItem Header="Info 2">
                            <ScrollViewer VerticalScrollBarVisibility="{Binding ScrollBarVisibility}">
                                <StackPanel Orientation="Vertical" HorizontalAlignment="Center">
 
                            </TabItem>

But on starting Launchbox I get the error " An error occurred while parsing the custom GameDetailsView. The default view is shows instead. Details on the error are below: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException: The 'Stackpanel' start tag on line 223 position 34 does not match the end tag of 'Tabitem'. Line 230, position 21."

Something else - in the image tab, thumbnails are shown, which is great. However, some are incorrectly labelled (despite being correctly labelled in Launchbox, according to the game edit window) and some images are missing altogether. See the Bomberman II image tab for NES below:

image.thumb.png.48874a07d8b1adb0cfa8610e8952051b.png

The thumbnails only show 4 images though there are actually 10. It shows the game cartridge under screenshots. Also, it doesn't show any of the box artwork (front, back, 3D), advertisement flyer or anything else. It would be great to have the images grouped here under box art (including cart/disk/etc), screenshots, other (including advertisement flyer, clear logo) and fanart.

 

 

 

Edited by Retrofrogg
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments!

21 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

Trying this out now @faeran. First impressions:

There seems to be a tiny amount of change to the background when a game is selected; does an image load in the background but just very dark or with maximum transparency? I think it would be nice to have this effect a bit more visible.

There's actually a couple things going on here. There is a color that goes overtop the main background image. The change you see is the game's background image (if you have this turned on in the options). There's a blur effect that a user would also control for this image within the options as well. The only thing the user cannot control here is the color that goes overtop this image. This can be adjusted within the theme files itself.

21 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

In the game images view, is the box art faded a little? When you hover the mouse cursor over a game it brightens. I'm not keen on having the artwork faded - would rather show it properly.

This is the same effect as in the default theme. When you see it "brighten" it's a white color that goes overtop the image to make your mouse over selection stand out a bit more. There may also be a Black color over the rest of the images to dim them out a little, but if there is, it would be very slight, and just for a little bit of color control.

21 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

I like the way that the selected platform is clearly highlighted in the platform tree. Would it be posslbe to also highlight any parent platforms/categories for the selected platform? This way the user can quickly see which platform category, platform and playlists is being selected.

This is a tough one. Remember that any parent item can also be independently selected from its child. Therefore, how do you tell exactly which item you are selected if multiple items look the same? There's a possibility here for some changes, but would have to think on how to best handle that.

21 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

In terms of the game details pane, I love the tabs. Much better than scrolling through one big list. It would be great to have 3 tabs however - for game description, info and images. Currently the game description and game info are grouped together in the same tab, necessitating the game info to be in a much smaller font and in a different colour text - and still necessitating scrolling in some cases. A separate tab would allow the game info to be displayed properly in all its glory. I note that for MAME, the MAME high scores is in a separate tab, which is nice.

Good idea, although I probably won't be including this in the main version of the theme. I'd be glad to help you out with doing this in PM.

21 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

I'm not a big fan of the top half of the front box image being displayed in a slightly faded fashion at the top of the game details pane - especially when the game video plays over the top of it. It's a bit distracting, cluttered looking and also likely a duplication of media as most users would probably be browsing by front box art anyway (though 3D boxes probably come a close second). Faded fanart or screenshot might serve better here. The video itself could probably be made a bit bigger.

This should be controlled by a user's image priority setting and not theme specific. The theme itself is just telling it to put a background image in that spot. Go into Options > Background Priorities and deselect anything you don't want to see, like any of the box images. I usually try and put all the different Background images and a Screenshot - Gameplay image in there.

The video will scale to the size of the window, with a max height, so it doesn't overtake the rest of the content. That max height can be adjusted in the theme files.

21 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

Something else - in the image tab, thumbnails are shown, which is great. However, some are incorrectly labelled (despite being correctly labelled in Launchbox, according to the game edit window) and some images are missing altogether. See the Bomberman II image tab for NES below:

image.thumb.png.48874a07d8b1adb0cfa8610e8952051b.png

The theme would not actually be controlling this. My guess is that either your Screenshot image priorities includes Cart images, or that the Cart image is mislabeled as a screenshot. A little investigation should clear that up for ya.

 

Send me a PM and I can do my best to guide you through adding a new Tab in Game Details.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...