About This File
Nostalgia uses the amazing platform videos created by @viking to create a per-system theme; thanks to viking for letting me derive from and name my theme after his work. It's designed for 16:9; tested at HD but not 4k since I don't have a 4k setup. Please let me know if you spot problems or have suggestions. It relies on a set of plugin controls I created, so you'll have to unblock either the entire zip file, or more specifically the DLL files in the theme's Plugins folder (see below). Due to its reliance on certain plugin features, the current version of this theme requires LB version 10+. Bundled with Nostalgia are some clear logos from viking's silver ring set, along with a few extras. Also bundled are platform banners created by @Grila and @Omen. For the best experience (including CRT curvature effects for videos), I recommend setting BigBox to use Windows Media Player.
- Platform Views: Background as the current platform (from viking's video set) including a video playing within the arcade cabinet, TV screen, etc. If there is no video for the selected platform, category, or playlist, a random list of relevant game videos are played instead. If no vids are available, screenshots are used. Platform, category, or playlist details are displayed to the left of the screen.
- Game Views: Selected game is displayed within a platform-specific background. If no game video exists, the game's screenshots are played as a slideshow while the game's soundtrack (if found in your LB setup) is played in the background. If neither game nor screenshots exist, a video of TV static plays. Game details are displayed to the left of the screen.
- Filter Views: E.g., Genres, Series, etc -- in this view, a random list of game videos for the selected Series, etc. will play.
KNOWN ISSUES: (1) 3DS and DS videos do not display properly. This is due to how they were captured, i.e., with both screens on these dual screen devices being squished into a single video. A potential workaround is to crop out the auxiliary screen from these videos and use on the part from the main screen. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. I think handbrake would work for batch cropping. (2) There are missing platform backgrounds. I tried to include the most common platforms. Viking's background set is quite thorough; please send me any requests.
NOTE: Unblocking the ZIP file will also unblock the DLLs (e.g., Ao.Bigbox.Themer.dll and others) contained therein, giving your computer permission to run these DLLs. This is an issue with all plugins you might download from this forum. It's a Windows security feature. You basically have to vouch for a file before Windows will use it. I liken it to how a MS office document you download from an email runs in Protected Mode until you unblock it for printing, editing, etc. Below is the error you'll see if you don't unblock the file, as well as a screenshot of the solution.
What's New in Version 1.0-beta1 See changelog
* FIXED: exception on text-wheel view backing out from games to platforms
* FIXED: text-wheels are now sorting properly considering "A", "An", "The"
* FIXED: plat/cats/playlists guess release year if games missing a year; @Retro808
* FIXED: changed to StaticResource when possible (though doubt performance gain)
* FIXED: when game list entered from playlist, platform bg was not being shown
* FIXED: performance improvement for transition of plat/cat/playlist bg (Crosslite)
* FIXED: Nintendo NES background image was not properly aligned when rendered
* FIXED: metadata icon visibility was not being promptly and appropriately set
* ADDED: pseudo-platform bg for Steam and ScummVM for peeps who use those
* ADDED: platform bg SNES (Europe), Sega Mega Drive (Europe and JPN); @neil9000
* ADDED: platform bg for Xbox One and PS4 (thanks to Omen who made them); @Omen
* ADDED: platform bg for Famicon Disk System; @Retro808
* ADDED: couch bg as default for playlists and categories
* ADDED: platform category bgs based off of viking's stuff; @Retro808
* ADDED: improved bg for Virtual Boy created by Omen; @Omen
* ADDED: different font for text-based wheel views to stylize it a bit
* ADDED: new monospaced vertical year font for text views (transition looks nicer)
* ADDED: randomized play of random game videos when there is no plat/cat/playlist video
* ADDED: asychronous image loading to boost performance (most notably when WMP is used)
* ADDED: decoding of images loaded to just the height needed (possible performance boost)
* ADDED: caching of LB images downsampled to size needed for theme, performance gains
* ADDED: pooling of mediaplayer elements to (hopefully) improve performance with WMP
* ADDED: use of placeholder empty strings (---) in metadata table when field not defined
* ADDED: plugin for plat/playlist fanart in GAMES detail (activate in Nostalgia.xaml); @alnyden