About This File
Nostalgia uses the amazing platform videos created by @viking to create a per-system theme; thanks to viking for letting me derive from and name my theme after his work. It's designed for 16:9; tested at HD but not 4k since I don't have a 4k setup. Please let me know if you spot problems or have suggestions. It relies on a set of plugin controls I created, so you'll have to unblock either the entire zip file, or more specifically the DLL files in the theme's Plugins folder (see below). Due to its reliance on certain plugin features, the current version of this theme requires LB version 10+. Bundled with Nostalgia are some clear logos from viking's silver ring set, along with a few extras. Also bundled are platform banners created by @Grila and @Omen. For the best experience (including CRT curvature effects for videos), I recommend setting BigBox to use Windows Media Player.
- Platform Views: Background as the current platform (from viking's video set) including a video playing within the arcade cabinet, TV screen, etc. If there is no video for the selected platform, category, or playlist, a random list of relevant game videos are played instead. If no vids are available, screenshots are used. Platform, category, or playlist details are displayed to the left of the screen.
- Game Views: Selected game is displayed within a platform-specific background. If no game video exists, the game's screenshots are played as a slideshow while the game's soundtrack (if found in your LB setup) is played in the background. If neither game nor screenshots exist, a video of TV static plays. Game details are displayed to the left of the screen.
- Filter Views: E.g., Genres, Series, etc -- in this view, a random list of game videos for the selected Series, etc. will play.
KNOWN ISSUES: (1) 3DS and DS videos do not display properly. This is due to how they were captured, i.e., with both screens on these dual screen devices being squished into a single video. A potential workaround is to crop out the auxiliary screen from these videos and use on the part from the main screen. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. I think handbrake would work for batch cropping. (2) There are missing platform backgrounds. I tried to include the most common platforms. Viking's background set is quite thorough; please send me any requests.
NOTE: Unblocking the ZIP file will also unblock the DLLs (e.g., Ao.Bigbox.Themer.dll and others) contained therein, giving your computer permission to run these DLLs. This is an issue with all plugins you might download from this forum. It's a Windows security feature. You basically have to vouch for a file before Windows will use it. I liken it to how a MS office document you download from an email runs in Protected Mode until you unblock it for printing, editing, etc. Below is the error you'll see if you don't unblock the file, as well as a screenshot of the solution.
What's New in Version 1.8 See changelog
* FIXED: updgraded Ao.Bigbox.Themer to version 3.9.2
* FIXED: above themer engine upgrade supports LB 9.4+
* FIXED: defaulting media player to that set in BigBox
* ADDED: alternate/optional views removing vertical year; @drunkfists
* FIXED: multiple issues resolved to jive with updated LB/BB 9.4+
* FIXED: EmbeddedAssembler was not being thumped to handle updated BigBox refs
* FIXED: properly setting PlayerImpl for all components of VideoLooperFramed
* FIXED: support for VLC 3.x, leveraging Meta.Vlc within Unbroken assemblies
* FIXED: marquee scrolling speed for short strings was too slow
* FIXED: changed EmbeddedAssembler to log instead of throw errors
* FIXED: memory leak in AVLF related to timers for datetime update
* ADDED: marquee scrolling stop-point alignment left/right/center
* ADDED: banner/button items to support additional game play modes
* ADDED: speed tweak for notes in AVLF, range 0.2-5x; @Kikitomancer
* ADDED: Portuguese translation for theme elements; @Kikitomancer