LaunchBox Community Forums

16 Screenshots

About This File

Nostalgia uses the amazing platform videos created by @viking to create a per-system theme; thanks to viking for letting me derive from and name my theme after his work. It's designed for 16:9; tested at HD but not 4k since I don't have a 4k setup. Please let me know if you spot problems or have suggestions. It relies on a set of plugin controls I created, so you'll have to unblock either the entire zip file, or more specifically the DLL files in the theme's Plugins folder (see below). Due to its reliance on certain plugin features, the current version of this theme requires LB version 10+. Bundled with Nostalgia are some clear logos from viking's silver ring set, along with a few extras. Also bundled are platform banners created by @Grila and @Omen. For the best experience (including CRT curvature effects for videos), I recommend setting BigBox to use Windows Media Player.

• Platform Views: Background as the current platform (from viking's video set) including a video playing within the arcade cabinet, TV screen, etc. If there is no video for the selected platform, category, or playlist, a random list of relevant game videos are played instead. If no vids are available, screenshots are used. Platform, category, or playlist details are displayed to the left of the screen.
  • Game Views: Selected game is displayed within a platform-specific background. If no game video exists, the game's screenshots are played as a slideshow while the game's soundtrack (if found in your LB setup) is played in the background. If neither game nor screenshots exist, a video of TV static plays. Game details are displayed to the left of the screen.
  • Filter Views: E.g., Genres, Series, etc -- in this view, a random list of game videos for the selected Series, etc. will play.

KNOWN ISSUES: (1) 3DS and DS videos do not display properly. This is due to how they were captured, i.e., with both screens on these dual screen devices being squished into a single video. A potential workaround is to crop out the auxiliary screen from these videos and use on the part from the main screen. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. I think handbrake would work for batch cropping. (2) There are missing platform backgrounds. I tried to include the most common platforms. Viking's background set is quite thorough; please send me any requests.

NOTE: Unblocking the ZIP file will also unblock the DLLs (e.g., Ao.Bigbox.Themer.dll and others) contained therein, giving your computer permission to run these DLLs. This is an issue with all plugins you might download from this forum. It's a Windows security feature. You basically have to vouch for a file before Windows will use it. I liken it to how a MS office document you download from an email runs in Protected Mode until you unblock it for printing, editing, etc. Below is the error you'll see if you don't unblock the file, as well as a screenshot of the solution.

5934737766ef0_PluginSecurityError.jpg.a7a39192a7887d8c342ac8a0a08a239d.jpg5934737219c73_ErrorFix.thumb.jpg.980d4fb15c165b106399b7899b39a6d5.jpg

What's New in Version 2.0   See changelog

Released

* FIXED: upgraded to Ao.Bigbox.Themer v3.9.6 (requires LB-10+)
* FIXED: deferring video engine implementation to BigBox setting
* FIXED: removed mediaplayer pooling, little/no utility as of now

Ao.Bigbox.Themer Changelog...
https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/1747-aobigbox-customs/

• Like 16
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

4 hours ago, Rudy said:

Is there a way to change the clock to the 12 hour format?

Yes there is. Find the Nostalgia.xaml file in the theme's Styles subfolder. Look for the "NostTbClock" key. Add to this style the following child element:

<Setter Property="Hour12" Value="True" />

Share this comment

Arcade platform isn't showing up properly for me. Instead of showing the arcade cabinet, it is showing a default PC image (the one in your first image). How can I fix this? 

Share this comment

8 hours ago, Maul83 said:

Arcade platform isn't showing up properly for me. Instead of showing the arcade cabinet, it is showing a default PC image (the one in your first image). How can I fix this? 

This should be fixed in the next version. I have been working with the theme creator behind the scenes to get this fixed as I had the same issue as you, it is now working for me with a beta .dll I was provided. So look out for a update in the next few day's. :) 

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Hello, I like you to add 5 more systems that i have in my computer, 1 arcade clasics, 2 turbografx 16, 3 nintendo famicom , 4 nintendo super famicom and 5 wiiware, i bet you're working on all the platforms that @viking made on video format but these ones is my special request, for everything else the theme is great! good work.

Share this comment

also, I found that when BigBox try to play an .webm video the theme don't  show it  I use this format in the windows/steam category that laucnhbox download by default.

Share this comment

My Capcom Cps-1 and Cps-2 only appear as arcade, the image is a PC not an arcade cabinet, what can I do? Please if you have any idea about config, tell me. Thanks by your time, is a great job.

Arcade.jpg

Edited by cjrb007

Share this comment

57 minutes ago, cjrb007 said:

My Capcom Cps-1 and Cps-2 only appear as arcade, the image is a PC not an arcade cabinet, what can I do?

@cjrb007: When you named the Cps-1 and Cps-2 systems in LB, did you actually call them "Cps-1" and "Cps-2"? Look in the file Nostalgia\Views\Images\AVLF\Platforms\@INDEX.txt -- the background will be chosen based on how you name your platforms; it will try to match what's in the third or fourth column of the @INDEX file, then use the image on that row. You can edit @INDEX so either column 3 or 4 matches up with how you name your platforms.

If you placed your Cps-1 and Cps-2 games in a playlist called Arcade, then you can instead look at ...\AVLF\Playlists\@INDEX.txt

Please let me know if you still have trouble getting it to show the correct background. Glad you like the theme so far.

Share this comment

Thanks eatkinola, I understand what you say and I did it, at this moment Cps-2 is Ok but Cps-1 information and icon is not complete, please look  the pictures. Both emulators are in Arcade playlist.

Cps-1.jpg

Cps-2.jpg

Edited by cjrb007

Share this comment

4 hours ago, cjrb007 said:

Thanks eatkinola, I understand what you say and I did it, at this moment Cps-2 is Ok but Cps-1 information and icon is not complete, please look  the pictures. Both emulators are in Arcade playlist.

Cps-1.jpg

Cps-2.jpg

Just copy and paste those images from images/platforms/clear logo and images/platforms/banner into image/playlists/clear logo and images/playlists/banners.

Share this comment

Thanks neil9000 it works the only missing image is the logo in the systems list, at this moment Cps-1 appear like ARCADE logo. I can't find where has to be added.

Systems.png

Share this comment

11 minutes ago, cjrb007 said:

Thanks neil9000 it works the only missing image is the logo in the systems list, at this moment Cps-1 appear like ARCADE logo. I can't find where has to be added.

Systems.png

Its in nostalgia/images/platforms/clear logo, just copy it into nostalgia/images/playlists/clear logo. You may need to rename the image so that it matches how the platform name is in Launchbox,also you may need to refresh the cache in bigbox, options/image cache/refresh platform images.

Share this comment

Hi! I have a problem using this theme.

I unblocked the zip, but it has a error when i start bigbox :(

What can i do? Thanks!

Captura.PNG

Share this comment

1 hour ago, cvg said:

Hi! I have a problem using this theme.

I unblocked the zip, but it has a error when i start bigbox :(

What can i do? Thanks!

Captura.PNG

did you also unzip the theme so that it is just a folder called Nostalgia, with some other folders and files inside?

Share this comment

22 minutes ago, cvg said:

i have updated and the problem appear again :/

Is it still showing the same error? Can I see a picture of the error you are getting on 7.14? 

Share this comment

OK, thank you. I think the first line of the error says that bigbox could not find the current theme, but you must of used the ui to switch to it in the first place, so I am guessing its a folder structure issue of some kind. Do you have a Nostalgia folder inside on your Nostalgia folder.

Share this comment

No, there is only one folder "Nostalgia", i'm going to read the views archives.

If i find the error i will tell you.

Thank you! ;)

Share this comment

@cvg @neil9000: That's an unusual error -- my plugin assembly cannot find the following method that is part of the LB plugin api:

Unbroken.Launchbox.Plugins.Data.IStateManager.get_BigBoxCurrentTheme()

The plugin api was introduced in LB 7.10, but I'm pretty sure that method was added to the api in a later release. @Jason Carr would you please confirm?

Are you sure your version of LB really updated successfully to 7.14, @cvg?

Share this comment