LaunchBox Community Forums

16 Screenshots

About This File

Nostalgia uses the amazing platform videos created by @viking to create a per-system theme; thanks to viking for letting me derive from and name my theme after his work. It's designed for 16:9; tested at HD but not 4k since I don't have a 4k setup. Please let me know if you spot problems or have suggestions. It relies on a set of plugin controls I created, so you'll have to unblock either the entire zip file, or more specifically the DLL files in the theme's Plugins folder (see below). Due to its reliance on certain plugin features, the current version of this theme requires LB version 10+. Bundled with Nostalgia are some clear logos from viking's silver ring set, along with a few extras. Also bundled are platform banners created by @Grila and @Omen. For the best experience (including CRT curvature effects for videos), I recommend setting BigBox to use Windows Media Player.

• Platform Views: Background as the current platform (from viking's video set) including a video playing within the arcade cabinet, TV screen, etc. If there is no video for the selected platform, category, or playlist, a random list of relevant game videos are played instead. If no vids are available, screenshots are used. Platform, category, or playlist details are displayed to the left of the screen.
  • Game Views: Selected game is displayed within a platform-specific background. If no game video exists, the game's screenshots are played as a slideshow while the game's soundtrack (if found in your LB setup) is played in the background. If neither game nor screenshots exist, a video of TV static plays. Game details are displayed to the left of the screen.
  • Filter Views: E.g., Genres, Series, etc -- in this view, a random list of game videos for the selected Series, etc. will play.

KNOWN ISSUES: (1) 3DS and DS videos do not display properly. This is due to how they were captured, i.e., with both screens on these dual screen devices being squished into a single video. A potential workaround is to crop out the auxiliary screen from these videos and use on the part from the main screen. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. I think handbrake would work for batch cropping. (2) There are missing platform backgrounds. I tried to include the most common platforms. Viking's background set is quite thorough; please send me any requests.

NOTE: Unblocking the ZIP file will also unblock the DLLs (e.g., Ao.Bigbox.Themer.dll and others) contained therein, giving your computer permission to run these DLLs. This is an issue with all plugins you might download from this forum. It's a Windows security feature. You basically have to vouch for a file before Windows will use it. I liken it to how a MS office document you download from an email runs in Protected Mode until you unblock it for printing, editing, etc. Below is the error you'll see if you don't unblock the file, as well as a screenshot of the solution.

5934737766ef0_PluginSecurityError.jpg.a7a39192a7887d8c342ac8a0a08a239d.jpg5934737219c73_ErrorFix.thumb.jpg.980d4fb15c165b106399b7899b39a6d5.jpg

What's New in Version 2.0   See changelog

Released

* FIXED: upgraded to Ao.Bigbox.Themer v3.9.6 (requires LB-10+)
* FIXED: deferring video engine implementation to BigBox setting
* FIXED: removed mediaplayer pooling, little/no utility as of now

Ao.Bigbox.Themer Changelog...
https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/1747-aobigbox-customs/

• Like 16
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

35 minutes ago, bdog019 said:

I did everything u said and still the same.

That's odd. What version of LaunchBox are you running? Are any BigBox themes other than the default theme working?

32 minutes ago, bdog019 said:

is there a way to reset the settings to start over from the beginning like I first installed it

You mean reinstall LaunchBox? Someone else should probably weigh in on this, but look in the LaunchBox\Updates folder. You should be able to re-run the setup exe, though it shouldn't reset your settings. Before you do any of this, see my questions above.

Share this comment

7 minutes ago, bdog019 said:

im running version 8.3 and yes I have mort theme working and glass working

Okay that's good. Please try one of my other themes as a test -- MinimalX, Refaktor, or FluxCRT. They all use a common plugin library, so we can see if that's a common denominator to this problem. Also, do any error messages popup when you try to use the theme?

Edit: Got to go so I probably won't answer until tomorrow, but please let me know how the test goes.

Edited by eatkinola

Share this comment

ok I figured it out I had the nostalgia folder in the themes folder in another folder so essentially a folder inside a folder in the themes folder. and one other thing is the video that is on the tv screens supposed to be very dim if not how do I change it to make it brighter thanks

Share this comment

15 hours ago, bdog019 said:

ok I figured it out I had the nostalgia folder in the themes folder in another folder so essentially a folder inside a folder in the themes folder. and one other thing is the video that is on the tv screens supposed to be very dim if not how do I change it to make it brighter thanks

Videos may appear a little dim due to a scanline effect which is baked into the background images. The only way to make the videos brighter is to manually remove the scanlines from background images, which would be very painstaking and I do not recommend it. I might generate a set of images in the future without scanlines, but I don't have time to do that now.

Share this comment

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:19 AM, eatkinola said:

Glad you like it. These instructions are in the bundled PDF, but I admit they're not that visible and do contain a mistake: "If you don’t like the platform or game notes scrolling across the bottom of the platform’s simulated screen, look for the text OverlayFlava4Bottom in Nostalgia.xaml (mistake said FluxCRT) and simply comment out that entire line." So, the file Styles\Nostalgia.xaml should be made to look like this (just use a text editor):

<!--
        <Setter Property="OverlayFlava4Bottom" Value="Notes" />
        -->

That should do it, but please let me know if otherwise. I'll probably make it easier to configure in the future.

thank you. That worked great. My other issue is this text on my arcade playlist title. I checked the details on that playlist and it doesn't have the simpsons game title in description.  So any idea why is it pulling that text and repeating it on every game within that category.

thank you!!

Screenshot (4).png

Share this comment

oh also to add to that post above... the first game it lands on within that playlist is The Simpsons. Also found the same issue occurring on other playlists too, but it will repeat the initial game title that was first loaded for that playlist.

Share this comment

46 minutes ago, Nonamer66 said:

oh also to add to that post above... the first game it lands on within that playlist is The Simpsons. Also found the same issue occurring on other playlists too, but it will repeat the initial game title that was first loaded for that playlist.

That's a strange one. What view are you coming from when you land on that view? I'll have to see if I can reproduce it (so far I can't), then I can look for a solution.

Share this comment

9 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

That's a strange one. What view are you coming from when you land on that view? I'll have to see if I can reproduce it (so far I can't), then I can look for a solution.

here is a screenshot of my view settings. I'm using playlist  as my initial view and simpsons is the first game it displays and repeats under the arcade playlist. If I change it to platform view it works like it should. I'm only using playlist because I wanted to narrow down my games without deleting them from the platform.

thanks

Screenshot (6).png

Edited by Nonamer66
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 8/16/2018 at 7:42 PM, Nonamer66 said:

My other issue is this text on my arcade playlist title. I checked the details on that playlist and it doesn't have the simpsons game title in description.  So any idea why is it pulling that text and repeating it on every game within that category.

Found the bug and will include a fix in the next update. Thanks again for providing a nice description of the problem.

Share this comment

1 hour ago, eatkinola said:

Found the bug and will include a fix in the next update. Thanks again for providing a nice description of the problem.

awesome. thank you for the excellent theme along with support!

• Like 1

Share this comment

Updated to v1.5, with bugfixes as mentioned above -- see change log on download page for details. The most notable additions are toggles to easily deactivate the platform and game notes overlay, and to turn off the sidebar details so the selection list/wheel always remains visible. Also updated to themer plugin library v3.8, which includes its own bugfixes and a way to specify controllers used for certain games as a queue for the user.

Share this comment

Any ideas?

I am running Launchbox 9.3. I have also unblocked the zip file before extracting it and have it in the themes folder.

image1.jpeg

Share this comment

On 1/14/2019 at 7:23 PM, MattyCakes said:

Any ideas?

Hmm, that's one I've not seen before. It almost looks like the download or "install" of the theme is corrupted and missing some files. I assume you're using the most recent theme version. Could you try downloading and installing the theme again? Perhaps you could also try downloading one of my other themes such a MinimalX to see if there is a common problem?

Share this comment

I actually figured it out. Just had to remove the properties from the windows markup files in the "styles" folder. Just highlight them all and go to "properties" then "details" then click "Remove Properties and Personal Information." Now it works perfectly. Thanks for a great theme!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

just wanted to say thanks @eatkinola I was about to make this myself but figured I'd at least search for it first. This theme is exactly what I've been looking for! Thank You!

• Like 1

Share this comment

@eatkinola @Jason Carr Not sure what happened, but with the most recent beta updates, these themes are no longer working. I tried both the latest updated versions of Nostalgia and MinimalX and they're both broken. The platforms and games list are blank, among other weirdness

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

40 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

@eatkinola @Jason Carr Not sure what happened, but with the most recent beta updates, these themes are no longer working. I tried both the latest updated versions of Nostalgia and MinimalX and they're both broken. The platforms and games list are blank, among other weirdness

I actually just noticed that this morning as well. Mine shows a "Genre" list instead of platforms and its blank, and actually entering a platform shows nothing. Worked fine the last time i ran it.

Share this comment

Platform view hovering on SNES.

1180051931_ScreenShot08-21-19at10_46AM.thumb.PNG.59afa3c970073fa29e49705faece5434.PNGAnd this is what i see when actually entering the SNES platform.

698869917_ScreenShot08-21-19at10_47AM.thumb.PNG.1e78943977fd536b744ce077c0818662.PNG

Share this comment

2 hours ago, bundangdon said:

@eatkinola @Jason Carr Not sure what happened, but with the most recent beta updates, these themes are no longer working. I tried both the latest updated versions of Nostalgia and MinimalX and they're both broken. The platforms and games list are blank, among other weirdness.

Yes, thank you. I updated the themer library to support recent changes Jason needed to make for LB 10+. I was gonna wait and post theme updates until after LB 10 was released, but I can post sooner if you like.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

I actually just noticed that this morning as well.

Thanks, Neil. The update resolves these issues.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

1 hour ago, eatkinola said:

Yes, thank you. I updated the themer library to support recent changes Jason needed to make for LB 10+. I was gonna wait and post theme updates until after LB 10 was released, but I can post sooner if you like.

Thanks, Neil. The update resolves these issues.

No worries. I can wait for a while and no need to rush out the update. Just wanted to bring this to your (or someone out there's) attention. Thanks for the quick reply!

• Like 1

Share this comment

@bundangdon, @neil9000 -- updated to support LB10+ ... Turned off by default is when then selection wheel fades to platform/game details. You can turn this back on if you want by quickly editing Views\Styles\Nostalgia.xaml ... near the top of the file, and the bundled PDF describes what to change.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment