LaunchBox Community Forums

Tool to Import Metadata for MAME ROMs (from MAME.dat or arcadehits.net)

Jason Carr

kmoney2315 said
Jason Carr said Not currently, but I can review that to see if we can integrate it or similar. Can you get me that XML file for review?
I am not sure if imgema got a xml over to you or not but that would be an awesome feature in order to use a hyperspin xml file to weed out the junk. Basically if you use Don's Hyperspin Tools (it is a program that makes it real easy that you can rename roms or create your own xml files among many other things) it is a program that makes it really easy to weed out mame clones,adult games,bios,mahjong,etc. and you can include anything or remove anything you wish and then it will generate a xml file. Also some example clones that you want to keep are pacman and tmnt2po (2 player version of tmnt) and etc. It was originally created for hyperspin but the xml files it creates can be used with any frontends that has the ability to read xml files. In fact I have all my xml files located in the database folder inside of Launchbox so Rocketlauncher can read them to get the info for the fade and etc. that rocketlauncher uses when I use LB. I imported my mame games last night in LB and chose all the options to remove clones, bios and etc. and while it removed the majority of it , it still left a lot of junk behind that I need to figure out how to remove. If it had the ability to read an xml file that already had the stuff you don't want removed that would be awesome!Smile
I co-sign this request. Running latest beta and the MAME import still isn't good enough. Hyper Spin xml functionality would be awesome for all systems.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
I'm writing a tool that does a lot of what you guys are saying already. It uses a ton of different source files for parsing local data (mame.dat or listxml, series.ini, catver.ini, nplayers.ini, history.dat, so almost all information available for mame at this point) and uses your current Mame folder structure to capture the images. Also, it's blazing fast. Please follow my thread here if you want to know more: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/features/lightspeed-mame-importer-teaser/page-3 Current Gui: lightspeedA-1.png -Kris

• 4 months later...
Antropus said I'm writing a tool that does a lot of what you guys are saying already. It uses a ton of different source files for parsing local data (mame.dat or listxml, series.ini, catver.ini, nplayers.ini, history.dat, so almost all information available for mame at this point) and uses your current Mame folder structure to capture the images. Also, it's blazing fast. Please follow my thread here if you want to know more: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/features/lightspeed-mame-importer-teaser/page-3 Current Gui: lightspeedA-1.png -Kris
I used this tool amd ir works absolutely great! Thanks alot for developing this! Now if you only could use it for console based systems as well and choose to exclude certain control types and genres that would be awesome. Is something like this possible? For Hyperspin i used Don' Hyperlist creator which works great!