LaunchBox Community Forums

Why no MobyGames.com support?

Jason Carr

It was just a thought. Google Translate isn't the only thing out there, but when we go from nothing to have at least something, that can be a big deal.

CPU is the most important part for LaunchBox, then RAM, then HDD, then GPU. GPU can help, in a cursory way that is inherent to how PC's work, but Jason doesn't actively take GPU power. You're on a slightly older laptop, and 50k is a lot. Increasing your LB Ram usage a bit can help, but since you have 8GB I would only put 512mb to 1GB, maybe.

23 hours ago, wirtual82 said:

Well, my specs are pretty decent. 8GB FAST DDR3 RAM, CORE I7, and GTX850M, and 2TB hard drive +SDD on board. What else should we expect to run 50k database. I deleted over 25K of almost blank imported games (C64), and it works a lot better. So I don't know. What specs do you suggest?

I have worked as a translator for a some time, and I would NEVER recommend Google translator to anyone. It is VERY weak. It cannot handle even simple grammar, not to mention other terrible language errors. 

Core i7 doesn't really mean anything anymore, unless you know exactly which version it is.  The "Core i7" has been a processor line since 2008.

• Jason Carr unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

@SentaiBrad  He could use incentive bounties from users to prioritize features as well as to hire an additional developer on a feature basis (not permanent contract). allowing users to bid with cash for bounties is very popular in many small software projects and they are a great way to get feedback from the community on what they want. Implementing features that the community desires is also a great way to keep them renewing their licenses every year.

I would gladly pay for having more scrapers to fill the missing box art from Mobygames etc. I don't mind watermarks - it's more important to have a digital replica of my old physical collection

5 minutes ago, kim-kong-il said:

@SentaiBrad  He could use incentive bounties from users to prioritize features as well as to hire an additional developer on a feature basis (not permanent contract). allowing users to bid with cash for bounties is very popular in many small software projects and they are a great way to get feedback from the community on what they want. Implementing features that the community desires is also a great way to keep them renewing their licenses every year.

I would gladly pay for having more scrapers to fill the missing box art from Mobygames etc. I don't mind watermarks - it's more important to have a digital replica of my old physical collection

Although we don't have a bounty system we do run polls on a regular basis to probe the community for what they feel should be implemented into the program next, and what priority they should have.

Below is a link to the results from our last poll.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-V9D22LCH8/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kim-kong-il said:

Feel free to find someone that can make plugins and pay them to make one for you.

8 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Feel free to find someone that can make plugins and pay them to make one for you.

My comment was simply a suggestion as a response to the low amount of developers in the project. I find it more sensible to crowdsource money for features that everyone gets to enjoy rather than individuals paying for plugins that are left for few to enjoy or are left undeveloped due to individuals themselves not having enough money to pay for developers alone. My comment was in no way meant as a negative towards the developer, I quite like Launchbox and that's why i recently bought a license.

I think a bounty system works fine for projects like Retroarch where you have many different devs and several different emulator cores and it's a free product / project.

But for something like Launchbox which is a paid product everyone who has paid for the license gets their chance to vote on things so it's fair to everyone rather some guy with a bunch of money getting his personal pet features implemented.

Like I said feel free to find a person who can make plugins and pay them to make one for you. This is one of the nice benefits of the plugin feature and people are free to charge money for their plugins if they wish. You can make a bounty post asking for someone to make a plugin to do it rather than a bounty system to pull Jason from the main development of Launchbox as a whole.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I think a bounty system works fine for projects like Retroarch where you have many different devs and several different emulator cores and it's a free product / project.

But for something like Launchbox which is a paid product everyone who has paid for the license gets their chance to vote on things so it's fair to everyone rather some guy with a bunch of money getting his personal pet features implemented.

Like I said feel free to find a person who can make plugins and pay them to make one for you. This is one of the nice benefits of the plugin feature and people are free to charge money for their plugins if they wish. You can make a bounty post asking for someone to make a plugin to do it rather than a bounty system to pull Jason from the main development of Launchbox as a whole.

Yeah, that's a quite good point - people could skew the development if bounties were connected to core development. Setting up community bounties for plugins is a good idea.