LaunchBox Community Forums

Translating LaunchBox

Jason Carr

Okay. It's for the best anyway, it's better if there's just one or two translators to keep a consistent language. Like when choosing what to translate "Close" to for example. I can choose either "Stäng" or "Avsluta". They both mean kind of the same thing.

However, I've noticed that Zeta isn't really that awesome... for one thing, it cannot find my Swedish dictionary files, even though I've put them in the correct folder and named them in every way possible. The only thing that works is to name my Swedish dictionary en_US, thus replacing the English dictionary, which feels dumb.
And Zeta has close to zero support too... But I'll try my best to work with it :D

• Like 1

Hi!!

I uploaded the Full Translation of Launchbox. It was a tougher job than I thought!!!! 
Because Greek language does not have the simplicity of the English language, i  have to see the translation in real time and perhaps some texts have to be changed or translated freely.
In MainForm.el-GR i couldn't save the $this.AccessibleName field (LaunchBox Main Window). The Greek translation is: Κύριο Παράθυρο Launchbox

Launchbox_Greek_Translation_16_02_18.rar

Edited by sxetikos
  • Like 1

@Goldug The best way is to start Zeta Resource Editor, then click "Open Resource Files". There you highlight the (for example) Strings.resx and the Strings.sw-SW.resx and open them.

Then your screen should look like this: zeta.thumb.png.3390343a1a397df6f719035f5552519e.pngThen you just need to type in the translation in the swedish column. You can leave the line empty if the text doesn't need to be translated.

If you're finished, hit the "Save all files" button at the top, close the files and go on to the next files.

I hope i could help you a bit.

Edited by Opak
tag corrected
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Opak said:

@Goldug The best way is to start Zeta Resource Editor, then click "Open Resource Files". There you highlight the (for example) Strings.resx and the Strings.sw-SW.resx and open them.

Then your screen should look like this: zeta.thumb.png.3390343a1a397df6f719035f5552519e.pngThen you just need to type in the translation in the swedish column. You can leave the line empty if the text doesn't need to be translated.

If you're finished, hit the "Save all files" button at the top, close the files and go on to the next files.

I hope i could help you a bit.

Yeah I have no real problem with that part, but it's the spell-check thing I mentioned that's a problem.

Thanks though ?

Just a little update: I haven't really started translating yet, been a bit busy with IRL stuff, but I'm gonna get going soon.
I just thought it would be a good idea for me to post updates a little now and then, seeing how the last translator disappeared without a trace.

Oh and BTW, I might look into another app for translating, but it's for Linux. Don't know if it'll work though, so I'll always load the finished translations in Zeta just to be sure you can open them too :)
The Linux distribution is called Tuxtrans. It's a Ubuntu-based dist aimed at translators. It comes fully loaded with all kinds of translation tools and apps that you could ever use, so you don't have to be a linux wiz to use it either :)

5 hours ago, Goldug said:

Just a little update: I haven't really started translating yet, been a bit busy with IRL stuff, but I'm gonna get going soon.
I just thought it would be a good idea for me to post updates a little now and then, seeing how the last translator disappeared without a trace.

Oh and BTW, I might look into another app for translating, but it's for Linux. Don't know if it'll work though, so I'll always load the finished translations in Zeta just to be sure you can open them too :)
The Linux distribution is called Tuxtrans. It's a Ubuntu-based dist aimed at translators. It comes fully loaded with all kinds of translation tools and apps that you could ever use, so you don't have to be a linux wiz to use it either :)

Yeah, do be careful, because the last thing we want is to end up with a complete translation that we can't use. The important thing is that it ends up in the correct .resx format. :)

On 2/16/2018 at 1:15 AM, sxetikos said:

Hi!!

I uploaded the Full Translation of Launchbox. It was a tougher job than I thought!!!! 
Because Greek language does not have the simplicity of the English language, i  have to see the translation in real time and perhaps some texts have to be changed or translated freely.
In MainForm.el-GR i couldn't save the $this.AccessibleName field (LaunchBox Main Window). The Greek translation is: Κύριο Παράθυρο Launchbox

Launchbox_Greek_Translation_16_02_18.rar

Thank you! I'll get this into a beta here shortly. :)

13 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, do be careful, because the last thing we want is to end up with a complete translation that we can't use. The important thing is that it ends up in the correct .resx format. :)

Uh-huh. I experimented a bit and found some interesting ways to do it. One of them worked very well when it comes to translating .resx files, but it couldn't export into .resx for some reason...

Another method involved converting .resx to .pot files and then back again. However, without a template-file for the translation files it includes everything, along with garbage (the first line in the converted file was "Bottom")... But it would be awesome to have/create a template-file first. Don't have the time/energy for it though.

Edit: I just noticed that Zeta can convert to excel-files. I wonder if that would help?

Edited by Goldug

10 hours ago, Goldug said:

Uh-huh. I experimented a bit and found some interesting ways to do it. One of them worked very well when it comes to translating .resx files, but it couldn't export into .resx for some reason...

Another method involved converting .resx to .pot files and then back again. However, without a template-file for the translation files it includes everything, along with garbage (the first line in the converted file was "Bottom")... But it would be awesome to have/create a template-file first. Don't have the time/energy for it though.

Edit: I just noticed that Zeta can convert to excel-files. I wonder if that would help?

Converting to Excel files doesn't sound like it would help unless it can go the other way (convert from Excel back into resx). Ultimately, it's the resx files that the app uses so that has to be the end result. Conversions do scare me a little since we have run into problems in the past with extra entries in the resx files, etc. So if you do find a new way to do it, it would probably be best to test it with one file before proceeding with the rest. :)

On 2/20/2018 at 6:14 PM, Jason Carr said:

Converting to Excel files doesn't sound like it would help unless it can go the other way (convert from Excel back into resx). Ultimately, it's the resx files that the app uses so that has to be the end result. Conversions do scare me a little since we have run into problems in the past with extra entries in the resx files, etc. So if you do find a new way to do it, it would probably be best to test it with one file before proceeding with the rest. :)

Yes of course I only try it one file at a time :)
And Zeta have the option to convert to excel and back from excel. I don't really know exactly what it does though, if it keeps all the info back and forth. I'm gonna look at the file in notepad++ before and after, just to see what really happens :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So hello. Really want to translate this amazing software to russian. As i see last person to take part in it, last visited site in 2016, so it probably means no one translating it right now. I will be glad to have access to translation doc. Please reply.

• 4 weeks later...

It's that time again folks; we're hoping to put out the 8.2 official release mid-next week. I've added LaunchBox.Next for this release, of course, so there may be slightly more to translate than the last few releases (though it shouldn't be too bad either). All the new stuff for LaunchBox.Next is in the Strings file, just like all the Big Box stuff.

Keep in mind that for the new LaunchBox.Next translations, there are a number of them that look like this:

_Edit

or

Co_nfiguration

Just like the ampersands work in LaunchBox, LaunchBox.Next uses the underscore character to specify which key on the keyboard can be used as a shortcut for the menus. In the top two examples, the E key and N keys would be used. When translating these items, you can either just remove the underscores for the translated text (which would also remove the shortcut keys), or you can put in your own underscores to add your own shortcut keys. The only issue is that you'd then need to test to make sure you haven't used any duplicate shortcut keys for a certain menu. It's probably fine and easiest just to remove them, but you can certainly go through that extra effort if you'd like. :)

Thank you all very, very much. :)

@CliveBarker @AFaustini @Wattoo @Opak @dukeemu @cyanjiang @Bardock @MajKSA

• Like 1