LaunchBox Community Forums

Translating LaunchBox

Jason Carr

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, we're ready to get everything translated for 9.4. I think the changes should be fairly minimal for this go-around (but I could be forgetting something).

Thank you all so very much. I'm looking to put out the official release on this coming Monday or Tuesday. :)

@Opak @dukeemu @cyanjiang @Bardock @MajKSA @gamehacker @Cauptain @Kondorito @Nyny77

German

PS: I've read in the patch notes that you improved the image downloads. Wouldn't it be much more effective to let the server put all necessary files into a zip archive and then let LB download and extract it? That would reduce the overhead transfer data tremendously, wouldn't it? Maybe i'm wrong, that just came to my mind last time i downloaded a larger amount of images.

Language-de-DE LB 9.4.rar

Thank you all; beta 11 is out now with all of the above translations updated.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:05 PM, Opak said:

PS: I've read in the patch notes that you improved the image downloads. Wouldn't it be much more effective to let the server put all necessary files into a zip archive and then let LB download and extract it? That would reduce the overhead transfer data tremendously, wouldn't it? Maybe i'm wrong, that just came to my mind last time i downloaded a larger amount of images.

@Opak Generally, compressing JPG and PNG files in zips (or even 7z files) doesn't compress them much at all, since they're already highly compressed and optimized. Compression works very well on some types of data, but not very well on others. You can do a simple test just by trying to compress some images and you'll notice that it doesn't save much space at all.

@Jason Carr

Oh, i didn't mean to compress the files but to reduce request times. Since the image files are mostly less than 0.5MB it takes longer to request those files than to actually download them. If they were all packed into one zip file, it would download them with a higher and more constant speed. For example, if I copy a 2GB folder with images to another destination it takes 3 minutes. If i copy the same folder as a zip file it only takes about 10 seconds. I could be totally wrong on this, it was just an idea.

2 minutes ago, Opak said:

@Jason Carr

Oh, i didn't mean to compress the files but to reduce request times. Since the image files are mostly less than 0.5MB it takes longer to request those files than to actually download them. If they were all packed into one zip file, it would download them with a higher and more constant speed. For example, if I copy a 2GB folder with images to another destination it takes 3 minutes. If i copy the same folder as a zip file it only takes about 10 seconds. I could be totally wrong on this, it was just an idea.

Yes, the download speed could be improved at least a small amount by combining the files together into zips. The problem is that then every zip would need to be extracted on the destination computer, but more importantly, they would have to be dynamically compressed/copied on the server for each request, which would likely bring the server to a halt considering the number of users downloading images at any one time. So unfortunately I think then we'd have a different problem on our hands.