Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

Translating LaunchBox

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, alexposad said:

Hello everybody!

I'm have a question...Does anyone translate into Russian???

It looks like @t17fenics offered to translate into Russian way back in 2016, but it doesn't look like we ever heard back, so we are in need of a Russian translator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It looks like @t17fenics offered to translate into Russian way back in 2016, but it doesn't look like we ever heard back, so we are in need of a Russian translator.

I can do it in my free time....If you do not mind?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, alexposad said:

I can do it in my free time....If you do not mind?

That would be great. Thank you @alexposad. You can read the first few posts of this topic for instructions on how to get started. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

That would be great. Thank you @alexposad. You can read the first few posts of this topic for instructions on how to get started. :)

OK, I can start tomorrow:) Do you'll send files on email or I must download Language_ru_RU.zip from first post?

Edited by alexposad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alexposad said:

OK, I can start tomorrow:) Do you'll send files on email or I must download Language_ru_RU.zip from first post?

Yup, you can just download it from there. That should be everything you need. Thanks again. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @Jason Carr,

Startup Game initialization message  is fixed now!!

But Platform Editing fields is wrong, yet.

I have verified that the problem is only in the first field and I have re-translated using another synonym (using a smaller word).

I hope this time it works perfectly.

Language-pt-BR_9.4_Beta_2.zip

 

Claudio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Claudio; I have this updated for beta 10 (should be out later today or tomorrow).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, we're ready to get everything translated for 9.4. I think the changes should be fairly minimal for this go-around (but I could be forgetting something).

Thank you all so very much. I'm looking to put out the official release on this coming Monday or Tuesday. :)

@Opak @dukeemu @cyanjiang @Bardock @MajKSA @gamehacker @Cauptain @Kondorito @Nyny77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

German

 

PS: I've read in the patch notes that you improved the image downloads. Wouldn't it be much more effective to let the server put all necessary files into a zip archive and then let LB download and extract it? That would reduce the overhead transfer data tremendously, wouldn't it? Maybe i'm wrong, that just came to my mind last time i downloaded a larger amount of images.

Language-de-DE LB 9.4.rar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all; beta 11 is out now with all of the above translations updated.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:05 PM, Opak said:

PS: I've read in the patch notes that you improved the image downloads. Wouldn't it be much more effective to let the server put all necessary files into a zip archive and then let LB download and extract it? That would reduce the overhead transfer data tremendously, wouldn't it? Maybe i'm wrong, that just came to my mind last time i downloaded a larger amount of images.

@Opak Generally, compressing JPG and PNG files in zips (or even 7z files) doesn't compress them much at all, since they're already highly compressed and optimized. Compression works very well on some types of data, but not very well on others. You can do a simple test just by trying to compress some images and you'll notice that it doesn't save much space at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jason Carr

Oh, i didn't mean to compress the files but to reduce request times. Since the image files are mostly less than 0.5MB it takes longer to request those files than to actually download them. If they were all packed into one zip file, it would download them with a higher and more constant speed. For example, if I copy a 2GB folder with images to another destination it takes 3 minutes. If i copy the same folder as a zip file it only takes about 10 seconds. I could be totally wrong on this, it was just an idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Opak said:

@Jason Carr

Oh, i didn't mean to compress the files but to reduce request times. Since the image files are mostly less than 0.5MB it takes longer to request those files than to actually download them. If they were all packed into one zip file, it would download them with a higher and more constant speed. For example, if I copy a 2GB folder with images to another destination it takes 3 minutes. If i copy the same folder as a zip file it only takes about 10 seconds. I could be totally wrong on this, it was just an idea.

Yes, the download speed could be improved at least a small amount by combining the files together into zips. The problem is that then every zip would need to be extracted on the destination computer, but more importantly, they would have to be dynamically compressed/copied on the server for each request, which would likely bring the server to a halt considering the number of users downloading images at any one time. So unfortunately I think then we'd have a different problem on our hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right. The compressing of the files would be a problem then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×