LaunchBox Community Forums

Prefer to pay with PayPal? Read this.

Jason Carr

Thank you so much for your interest in purchasing LaunchBox Premium. PayPal has unfortunately decided that they do not want LaunchBox business simply because LaunchBox works with console emulators. As ridiculous as it may sound, it seems that PayPal is unable to recognize the differences between piracy and emulation, and they've demanded that we remove the PayPal purchase buttons from our website.

If possible, we would encourage you to use the checkout process on our LaunchBox Premium page, as it is just as secure as PayPal. Your credit card data stays with Stripe, which is a highly trusted payment provider. We still never receive and do not store your credit card information ourselves.

However, if you have no choice but to use PayPal, simply send $20 USD to <redacted>, and you will automatically receive a license. We are still able to send and receive money, but we are not allowed to put the PayPal buttons up on our website.

Update: As of December 8, 2015, PayPal has permanently closed LaunchBox's account and will no longer allow us to take any payments. PayPal's policies are ridiculous and infuriating, but unfortunately all we can do is encourage people not to use PayPal because of their ridiculous policies. If we had had any significant amount of money in our PayPal account at this point, they would have held the money captive for 180 days, as they've stated on the website and in the email we received. Thankfully, we did not have a significant amount of money in the account. Good riddance, PayPal.

Thanks and happy gaming!
Jason

One more update (January 4, 2016): If you're sticking with PayPal for security reasons, we do have to share that PayPal is full of outdated and insecure practices, and cannot be trusted to keep your money or your information safe. See here: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/12/2016-reality-lazy-authentication-still-the-norm/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well guys, now PayPal has ended the relationship completely and permanently. No more PayPal payments. Boo hoo. I did just now add support for Alipay (primarily for China) and Bitcoin (yay!). I'm going to post the entire ridiculous statement from PayPal below:
Spoiler
Dear LaunchBox, We have recently reviewed your PayPal account activity, and determined that you are in violation of PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy regarding your sales / offers of Launchbox premium accounts and keys on http://www.launchbox-app.com . As a result, your account has been permanently limited and this cannot be appealed. Per the PayPal User Agreement, which you read and accepted when you created your account, we reserve the right to permanently limit an account due to an Acceptable Use Policy violation. We may hold any available balance in your PayPal account for up to 180 days. In addition, you may be liable for any amount of damages PayPal incurs for each violation of the Acceptable Use Policy. To read more about your liability, the actions we may take and other relevant information pertaining to the PayPal User Agreement, please refer to the following URL: https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&locale.x=en_US Please remove all references to PayPal from your website/s and/or auction/s. This includes not only removing PayPal as a payment option, but also the PayPal logo and PayPal shopping cart. The PayPal User Agreement states that PayPal reserves the right to limit an account for any violation of the PayPal User Agreement, including the Acceptable Use Policy. Under the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy, PayPal may not be used to send or receive payments for items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy, or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction. This includes transactions for any device or technological measure that descrambles a scrambled work, decrypts an encrypted work or otherwise avoids, bypasses, removes, deactivates or impairs a technological measure without the authority of the copyright owner. This also includes transactions for devices that allow domestic video game consoles to play back-up or import versions of games, such as mod chips, game enhancers, boot disks, software packages that remove protections from DVDs, HD DVDs and Blu-Ray DVDs and allow the user to copy the protected information into other formats, and card sharing services, which is a method of allowing multiple digital television receivers to access subscription television services with only one paid subscription card. You can view the complete PayPal Acceptable Use Policy by clicking the "Legal" link at the bottom of any PayPal page and clicking "PayPal Acceptable Use Policy". You can also find some more information on the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy on our Help Center. We thank you in advance for your cooperation. If you have any questions, please contact the PayPal Brand Risk Management Department at aup@paypal.com. Sincerely, Irene PayPal, Brand Risk Management PayPal
And for the record, we're not even breaking any part of their ridiculous "Acceptable Use Policy" to begin with. They're just too ignorant and lazy to do any research to come to a legitimate conclusion. One last time, good riddance PayPal.

Jason Carr said Well guys, now PayPal has ended the relationship completely and permanently. No more PayPal payments. Boo hoo. I did just now add support for Alipay (primarily for China) and Bitcoin (yay!). I'm going to post the entire ridiculous statement from PayPal below:
Spoiler
Dear LaunchBox, We have recently reviewed your PayPal account activity, and determined that you are in violation of PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy regarding your sales / offers of Launchbox premium accounts and keys on http://www.launchbox-app.com . As a result, your account has been permanently limited and this cannot be appealed. Per the PayPal User Agreement, which you read and accepted when you created your account, we reserve the right to permanently limit an account due to an Acceptable Use Policy violation. We may hold any available balance in your PayPal account for up to 180 days. In addition, you may be liable for any amount of damages PayPal incurs for each violation of the Acceptable Use Policy. To read more about your liability, the actions we may take and other relevant information pertaining to the PayPal User Agreement, please refer to the following URL: https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&locale.x=en_US Please remove all references to PayPal from your website/s and/or auction/s. This includes not only removing PayPal as a payment option, but also the PayPal logo and PayPal shopping cart. The PayPal User Agreement states that PayPal reserves the right to limit an account for any violation of the PayPal User Agreement, including the Acceptable Use Policy. Under the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy, PayPal may not be used to send or receive payments for items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy, or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction. This includes transactions for any device or technological measure that descrambles a scrambled work, decrypts an encrypted work or otherwise avoids, bypasses, removes, deactivates or impairs a technological measure without the authority of the copyright owner. This also includes transactions for devices that allow domestic video game consoles to play back-up or import versions of games, such as mod chips, game enhancers, boot disks, software packages that remove protections from DVDs, HD DVDs and Blu-Ray DVDs and allow the user to copy the protected information into other formats, and card sharing services, which is a method of allowing multiple digital television receivers to access subscription television services with only one paid subscription card. You can view the complete PayPal Acceptable Use Policy by clicking the "Legal" link at the bottom of any PayPal page and clicking "PayPal Acceptable Use Policy". You can also find some more information on the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy on our Help Center. We thank you in advance for your cooperation. If you have any questions, please contact the PayPal Brand Risk Management Department at aup@paypal.com. Sincerely, Irene PayPal, Brand Risk Management PayPal
And for the record, we're not even breaking any part of their ridiculous "Acceptable Use Policy" to begin with. They're just too ignorant and lazy to do any research to come to a legitimate conclusion. One last time, good riddance PayPal.
I am surprised these people even know how to turn on a computer. Fuck them, here in Mexico they throw us fees over fees over fees and we can't even send or recieve money as gifts, they restricted my country in a lot of aspects. Sadly Paypal turned into crap after the Ebay buyout, if only Elon Musk still be in charge, maybe it would't be like this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Jason Carr said You mean our site? Nah, they have people that review this stuff. That's seriously some people's jobs.
As it seems then that person isn't quite good at it anyway ;) And then to think there are even emulators in the App Store and Google Play which should give PayPal a clue..

I thought that Apple had removed all the emulators from the app store (I'm not a user just thought I'd read this somewhere) and that people were then hiding them in other apps to get them through. As to the Play Store I thought it was pretty wide open over there also you can side load things on Android even if it isn't in the Play Store that won't stop you.

There are so many stories about Paypal closing a small business account because of "questionable" practices. They are obviously just looking for chances to "seize" people's money... and there is almost no recourse. It's really a shame because it is a useful service... they are getting pretty shady though.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
21 hours ago, Cyberdemon87 said:

Hey,
Sorry for bumping this.

Is there any chance I can directly send you the payment to your PayPal account, because it's a bit hard otherwise in my country...? :(

Unfortunately no, I don't have a PayPal account we can use, and if I did, it would risk it getting shut down. We are working on some new payment options, but I don't have an exact ETA on when we'll get them live. My apologies.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately no, I don't have a PayPal account we can use, and if I did, it would risk it getting shut down. We are working on some new payment options, but I don't have an exact ETA on when we'll get them live. My apologies.

I see. Is it possible to pay with debit card, or only credit card is accepted? 

Also, is there going to be a Black Friday sale? 

1 minute ago, Cyberdemon87 said:

I see. Is it possible to pay with debit card, or only credit card is accepted? 

Also, is there going to be a Black Friday sale? 

If i remember correctly i used a Debit Card when i bought my license, UK here if it helps, but i guess that may vary by country.