LaunchBox Community Forums

New Fields

Jason Carr

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:47 AM, wirtual82 said:

2. Other available platforms a game was released on, so -  "Conversion hardware" or "Conversions" field

I would love this or an "exclusive" tick box to be there this way people can mark if a game was exclusive to a system. 

I'd like for that exclusive tick box to be automatically ticked if it was an exclusive, which of course would require work to the database to have that info there in the first place. But that would be so cool, then another option on top of that which allowed you to tick under each platform "display exclusives only". 

34 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

I'd like for that exclusive tick box to be automatically ticked if it was an exclusive, which of course would require work to the database to have that info there in the first place. But that would be so cool, then another option on top of that which allowed you to tick under each platform "display exclusives only". 

Right exactly.  If it's ticked in the DB it should be auto populated in launchbox/big box and even be a sort by option.

On 2016-05-04 at 9:38 AM, Soundtrackgeek said:
M-6502 said The multiplayer mode options seem good. Additional field suggestions: - Alternate Title (as mentioned above) - Media (Floppy, Cassette, Cartridge, CD, DVD, etc.) - Manual

Back in the day I had a Commodore 64 and me and every one I knew had cassettes only. Those fancy (and huge) disc drives weren't common in Europe I believe. I am adding a bunch of C64 games to the database, but there is no image type for cassette currently. It gives me that extra nostalgia boost when I see one... Pirates! Would love to have this option.

Also there would be great to have "Cassette Case" as Image Type too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 26/04/2016 at 5:51 AM, Jason Carr said:

I'll be adding new fields soon to the database. I want to add all new fields in one fell swoop so I figured we should discuss it first. Open to ideas and suggestions about new fields to add. First off, one field I want to add is Series, to match the Series field that we have in LaunchBox. Beyond that, I want to better handle the description for multiplayer games. Right now we have "Max Players" and "Cooperative" but that doesn't quite cover all the details. At first I thought about replacing Max Players and adding a new "Play Mode" field to match the one in LaunchBox with options like "2-Player Alternating" and "2-Player Simultaneous", but with online games these days I'm thinking that would get unruly fast. So my current plan is to keep "Max Players" and add a new field called "Multiplayer Modes" with these options: Alternating Simultaneous Cooperative Online Split-Screen This would eliminate the Cooperative check box (we can move the data over to the new field easily). Also, of course you would be able to select several of these options at once. Looking for feedback on the above and also any new fields you think are important to add. Thanks guys! I'd like to nail these down before I implement the last major piece, which is adding new games.

Hi Jason, 

I am very supportive of the "Multiplayer Modes" field and really hope it's still on your radar please.   

I've been frustrated for a while that there is no way (that I'm aware of) that I can filter my collection of games to the ones that support local multiplayer and local coop games.   From what I can figure out, although there are currently "Max Players" and "Cooperative" fields that can be filtered, there is no way to then figure on local multiplayer.  The aim is that when friends show up, you can quickly filter down to a set of games that are appropriate for the crowd to play quickly without hours of Googling before actually starting a game.

17 hours ago, Ugoogalizer said:

Hi Jason, 

I am very supportive of the "Multiplayer Modes" field and really hope it's still on your radar please.   

I've been frustrated for a while that there is no way (that I'm aware of) that I can filter my collection of games to the ones that support local multiplayer and local coop games.   From what I can figure out, although there are currently "Max Players" and "Cooperative" fields that can be filtered, there is no way to then figure on local multiplayer.  The aim is that when friends show up, you can quickly filter down to a set of games that are appropriate for the crowd to play quickly without hours of Googling before actually starting a game.

Just add local coop or online coop. You can add whatever you want in that field

2 hours ago, mcfilmmakers said:

Just add local coop or online coop. You can add whatever you want in that field

Thanks. From what I can see, I cannot put what I want in the "Max Players" or "Cooperative" field in the shared database.  I can put what I want in the "Play Mode" field that I can access in my local database, which would be a non-trivial task to perform and would not be made available back to the cloud Launchbox Games Database, meaning ultimately any effort would not be shared with the community.  Finally if there was a way to upload it back to the cloud (that I'm unaware of), then entering free text like this into such a field would ultimately end up with a whole range of non-standard, inconsistent terms being used which could make the effort in vain anyway.  

A "Multiplayer Modes" field that only allows certain values in the cloud Games Database would solve many of these problems, and implementation of https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/285/additional-scraper-options by scraping Co-Optimus (or similar) would be a great way to sourcing the required information rather than manually entering it.

• Jason Carr unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...

So currently for Wii U titles if you use Loadiine versions for Cemu, your games use the .rpx file that's hidden under a folder structure. Since launchbox doesn't know what file in that folder structure to actually load using the option "Use Folder name vice file name" you have to manually import each rpx file. Though none of the rpx files are the actual game names, examples: Mario Kart 8 is Turbo.rpx, Breath of the Wild is U-King.rpx, Xenoblade Chronicles X is spaceTravel.rpx. Could we for Wii U titles at least, use the alternative name field on the database to add these rpx titles so that users don't have to manually have to set each and every Wii U title in launchbox.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vergil said:

So currently for Wii U titles if you use Loadiine versions for Cemu, your games use the .rpx file that's hidden under a folder structure. Since launchbox doesn't know what file in that folder structure to actually load using the option "Use Folder name vice file name" you have to manually import each rpx file. Though none of the rpx files are the actual game names, examples: Mario Kart 8 is Turbo.rpx, Breath of the Wild is U-King.rpx, Xenoblade Chronicles X is spaceTravel.rpx. Could we for Wii U titles at least, use the alternative name field on the database to add these rpx titles so that users don't have to manually have to set each and every Wii U title in launchbox.

Yes, that's a good idea. Go ahead and add those to the games database if you want. Just make sure that no two of them are the same.

I've added a custom field for how long the game takes to complete, based off https://howlongtobeat.com/. I think I even saw a plugin that scrapes info from that site and inputs it to launchbox? I may be wrong there. I also have a custom field for "In progress", which i just set to true or false, and then have a playlist based off that. It would be neater with a checkbox, though :)

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 4:14 AM, Vergil said:

That won't work because a lot of those .rpx files have the same titles. A big bunch of Indie Wii-U games and a few Retail are titled "unity_framework.rpx" for example. I know this.....because I imported 520 Wii-U games manually and I'm still bitter about it lol.

Edited by JamesBond@ge

• 4 months later...

Forgive me if this isn't the right place to suggest a new field, but related to "Game Manual Path", it would be cool to see a "Game Strategy Guide Path" under each game's "Other" tab..  A good number of games have PDF scans of books and guides out there these days.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

As proghodet said, https://howlongtobeat.com/ would be great. Maybe a howlongtobeat game-id field so the info can be scraped straight from them. It's nice to know before starting a new game if it's going to take 5h or 50h to complete.

My kodi skin surprised me when Halloween came around and it suggested spooky films and tv episodes. And then at Christmas it suggested family/christmas films. I really like the idea and think a field with this kind of information (mode/style) would be great so a bigbox theme can suggest games based off of this.

But most of all, I would like to see more rating systems added to the database. ESRB is great but I'd like to see PEGI added as I’m from Europe and this is what's used on games that I buy. And as I have a big Japanese only game collection, CERO is the only rating system used for those games. So having multiple ratings for all games and then in launchbox/bigbox having a priorities order just like for media, so for example I would have PEGI then ESRB and last CERO.
(more/all rating systems https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_content_rating_system#Comparison_table)

Edited by Hazuki
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

I would second having other rating systems like PEGI and CERO on there.

Also I would really like if there was a "Setting" field similar to what Mobygames have. Would be a great way to quickly make playlists for games covering settings like "WWII", "Fantasy", "Steampunk", "Historical" etc. 

• Like 1