LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

XAML Tips and Tricks

6 hours ago, Jair said:

But what about translate? I use that too sometimes.

Too much use of translations might also cause problems with scaling. Now if you want to design your them for a very specific resolution, don't worry too much about that. But if you want it to work across multiple resolutions (e.g., look similar on an HD vs 4K display), I do encourage you to look into using Grid elements. You can nest grids within grids, and you can use relative sizing for rows and columns, e.g., tell columns 1-3 to use 20, 20, and 60% of available width (which is determined by the parent of the grid). For grids, look into the use of "*" (star) sizing.

3 hours ago, eatkinola said:

Too much use of translations might also cause problems with scaling. Now if you want to design your them for a very specific resolution, don't worry too much about that. But if you want it to work across multiple resolutions (e.g., look similar on an HD vs 4K display), I do encourage you to look into using Grid elements. You can nest grids within grids, and you can use relative sizing for rows and columns, e.g., tell columns 1-3 to use 20, 20, and 60% of available width (which is determined by the parent of the grid). For grids, look into the use of "*" (star) sizing.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. faeran's been helping me learn grids and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it after some practice with them today. It does sound better to make the theme more flexible for different resolutions since you never know what the person will be using.