LaunchBox Community Forums

Emulator Settings for All Platforms

Jason Carr

Mess is not launching through Launchbox Error: unknown option: -nonewui I tried -nonewuii also same issue If I leave it out no error message but still does not launch. This is for Mess64.exe emulating Colecovision and Atari 7800. Again both systems run fine stand alone and in Hyperspin. Would still like to get everything to run in Launchbox. Thanks.

ps4isthefuture said Hi everyone, Having a small issue launching games in WinKawaks and in MAME (MAME64). Both emulators are working fine on their own and both work through Hyperspin (minor issue exiting games in Winkawaks, but launches and plays fine in HS). Winkawaks opens and then says "No Game Loaded" even though Launchbox is pointing to the rom's location. Command line is entered as noted in the configuration table here in this post...
I got exact the same Problem with Kawaks (WinKawaks). I'm using Kawaks 1.63 (the newest i think) and tested with NeoGeo and CPS1 and CPS2 Games. The emulator gets started, but the rom will not get loaded. i tried different parameters: %file -fullscreen -%file -fullscreen %file -fullscreen nothing works. Anyone got a solution for that? Kawaks is a pretty good emulator, it should be handeld by launchbox ;-)

Hi realbout WinKawaks will not work in LaunchBox if you use the Emulator tab method. You need to treat WinKawaks as an application. To add a game: Select the Launcher tab. Set the path to the WinKawaks executable in the Application Path box. Put the game's name in the Application Command-Line Parameters box.

scree said Hi realbout WinKawaks will not work in LaunchBox if you use the Emulator tab method. You need to treat WinKawaks as an application. To add a game: Select the Launcher tab. Set the path to the WinKawaks executable in the Application Path box. Put the game's name in the Application Command-Line Parameters box.
Thanks I will have to give that a try as well. Maybe that could also work for Mess for me as well. I'll keep the board updated if it worked for me or not. Thanks for everyone's support!Smile Update: Thanks a ton! Worked like a Charm! It took me a bit to get the correct cmd line. Note, make sure you have the rom directory set within WinKawaks or it will not know where to open the rom from. I'll test out mess later. Example: Art of Fighting cmd line: aof -fullscreeen Update 2: I got Mess64 working, finally figured it out. It is similar to getting WinKawaks to work, has to be ran as an app and not as an emulator within LB. So in the application path enter the path to Mess64.exe or Mess.exe Then in the command-line this is what I used to get mine to run Colecovision: coleco -cart "Drive Letter:\full path\Burger Time (USA, Europe).rom" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow You must include the quotation marks and include the entire rom path, with the full rom name, and the file extension (.rom, .zip, whatever it is). I had to drop -nonewui from the command-line because it was saying unknown command, so just a note for the configuration table on this forum. I will let you all know if the same applies to getting the Atari 7800 to run as well. Update 3: Ok the Atari 7800 is the same story as with Colecovision. Set up as an app, full path to Mess64.exe or Mess.exe in application path section. Here is the command-line I used to get the 7800 to work: a7800 -cart "Drive Letter:\full path\Ballblazer (USA).a78" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow Hope this helps some of you outSmile Update 4: If you want to use Nebula.exe to run Neogeo, CPS1, and CPS2 this also has to be setup as an app not as an emulator within LB. You will need to open Nebula and set the rom path first and also set it to run in GUI Fullscreen as there is not a command-line for this. To set Nebula to GUI Fullscreen, run Nebula.exe, go to Emulation>Options At the top of this new window you will see GUI Window is selected, select GUI Fullscreen and apply, then exit Nebula. If for some reason you need to change it back to GUI Window you need to edit Nebula.ini file. You will see GUI mode=0 just change it to say GUI mode=1 and it will return to windowed mode. Same with Fullscreen as well just set it to 0. All you need to put in the command-line area is the file name for the rom. Example: for Art of Fighting the command-line was: aof Again I hope this information is helpful to someoneSmile

I run all my mame, cps´s and neo geo in retroarch, flawlessy. The only games that didn´t run, where all bad roms or mame roms that needed to be updated. But that´s just my preference and everyone should stick with the emus they feel more confortable. Laugh

Fairchild Channel F Emulating with MESS or MESS64: Must setup in Launcher tab only, application path set to your mess.exe or mess64.exe Application Command-line Parameters: channelf -cart "Drive Letter:\full path\alieninv.zip" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow **Must have quotes, file extention, and this must be done to add each rom** Shortly I will be adding my Fairchild Channel F collection into the database as there are none at the moment. Update: Waiting approval from forums.TheGamesDB.net to have Fairchild Channel F added as a platform. Update 2: forums.TheGamesDB.Net 2 days have past and still waiting for approval or even an acknowledgement that my request has been submitted. It's been viewed 17 times thus far, I think they need more people to help out on the admin side of the house.

I've given up on getting the batch file fix to run N64 games with Project64 1.6 in emulator mode. Launching it as an application works fine. The path to the Project64 executable goes in the Application Path box. The path to the game rom goes in the Application Command-Line Parameters box. You must supply the full rom path and rom name including extension. For example, the Doom 64 game entries for my computer's folders setup are as follows. You will need to edit them for your setup. Application Path box: C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6\Project64.exe Application Command-Line Parameters box: C:\Users\My user account name here\Documents\Emulation\Project64\UserData\Roms\Doom 64.zip Handy tip. If you have many games to add, to save a lot of typing, make a text file of the two paths. Example text file using my paths: C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6\Project64.exe C:\Users\My user account name here\Documents\Emulation\Project64\UserData\Roms\ Then for each game you want to add you can just copy and paste each path to it's box in LaunchBox. The text entry for the Application Command-Line Parameters box ends with \ You then just have to type in the rom's name and extension.

Hi Everyone, I have 2 more system set-ups for you. Just because you never heard of them doesn't mean they weren't fun! (One game that is a must play is "The Incredible Wizard" released in 1981 on the Bally Astrocade, absolutely one of the best games I've played...Period.) 1. Arcadia 2001 (MFG by Emerson Radio Corp. in 1982) 2. Astrocade or Professional-Arcade-Astrocade (MFG by Bally in 1977) Arcadia 2001: Emulating with MESS or MESS64 you must set-up to use the emulator's exe as an app in the Launcher tab. In the "Application Path" Field enter the full path to the emulator's executable file. In the "Application Command-Line Parameters" field enter the following: -arcadia -cart "Drive Letter:\full path\game name.zip" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow **Must have quotes, full path, include the extension, and this will need to be done for each game you add. Also if using MESS you do not need to acquire a bios for Arcadia 2001, save yourself the time, I looked for about an hour before I realize that.** Astrocade: Emulating with MESS or MESS64 you must set-up to use the emulator's exe as an app in the Launcher tab. In the "Application Path" Field enter the full path to the emulator's executable file. In the "Application Command-Line Parameters" field enter the following: astrocde -cart "Drive Letter:\full path\game name.zip" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow **Again must have quotes, full path, include the extension, and this will need to be done for each game you add. Also pay attention that you type astrocde and NOT astrocade, attention to details will save you a few minutes of grief. ** I have requested to TheGamesDB.net to add these two platforms a few minutes ago. Also earlier today they approved the addition on the Fairchild Channel F. I have started to add titles to their DB. Cheers and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
scree said Hi realbout WinKawaks will not work in LaunchBox if you use the Emulator tab method. You need to treat WinKawaks as an application. To add a game: Select the Launcher tab. Set the path to the WinKawaks executable in the Application Path box. Put the game's name in the Application Command-Line Parameters box.
I can offer you an easier way to set WinKawaks up in LB and any other emu that works in a similar fashion (e.g. Final Burn Alpha, Supermodel, etc.) I will create a post...

I have created a script that will create a launch script for each game that can be easily added to LB. Download the zip file and extract it to your desktop (must be on your desktop for the script to work). Then run the script. You will be prompted to enter the romset directory, so open up the folder that contains your (using cps2 as an example) cps2 roms and copy the path from the address bar. Paste this path into the popup generated by the script. You will then be prompted to enter the path to the emulator. Repeat the above step only from your emulator directory. You need the full path for this one, that includes the .exe file. E.g. C:\Emulators\WinKawaks\WinKawaks.exe This script will then create a launch script for each game and put it in its own folder. The next part you need to do manually. Go to your ROM directory and you will see all the new folders. You need to rename each folder to the actual name of the game, not the short name. DO NOT rename the batch files inside them. So the folder named sfa2 (still using cps2 as example) you can rename to Street Fighter Alpha 2 but the .bat file inside that folder must remain sfa2.bat I know this is a tedious task, but it will save you time, trust me. . Now, open LB and go to ' Tools > Import Games > From ROM Files... ' Folder with ROM files to Import: - Point this to your CPS2 ROM directory (that contains all the new folders) Platform for imported ROMs: - Capcom Play System 2 (still using cps2 as example) File Filter: - *.bat (This is important, don't miss it) Emulator for imported ROMs: - ! LEAVE THIS BLANK ! you do not need to do this, the batch file handles this part. . Check the box - Don't import games with the same title... etc Uncheck the box - Search for and download game information... etc Uncheck the box - Search for and download images... etc Check the box - Look in subfolders as well Check the box - Use folder names instead of ROM file names for game titles. . Launch box will then add all the batch files as games and name them as their folder name. That's it your done. All your roms should be imported to LB with the correct names. This might seem complicated at first glance or too much work, but it is actually pretty straight forward, easy and much faster than adding every game individually. I have made it as easy and as automated as I could for you. Oh, you can delete the script.bat from you desktop now, you no longer need it. Unless you plan to use it with a different compatible emulator. Hope this helps someone. Script removed!
See THIS post for the working script.

Another thing, on the subject of old arcade systems. Anyone who wants to play the light gun games but does not want to fork out for a proper light gun and has a WiiMote handy. You can easily set up your WiiMote as a light gun. I found a nice, really simple app that allows you to use a WiiMote as a mouse, this can then be used to simulate a light gun. You can even go on to map buttons to things like "insert coins", "start" and exit the emulator, etc. It is really easy to set up, but if you need any help just ask. The app is called Touchmote and it can be found here: http://touchmote.net/ You will need to get a gun adapter, but you can pick the simple ones up for next to nothing on ebay or amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awii+light+gun&keywords=wii+light+gun&ie=UTF8&qid=1412470280 Just thought I'd share while I am here.

scree said I've given up on getting the batch file fix to run N64 games with Project64 1.6 in emulator mode. Launching it as an application works fine. The path to the Project64 executable goes in the Application Path box. The path to the game rom goes in the Application Command-Line Parameters box. You must supply the full rom path and rom name including extension. For example, the Doom 64 game entries for my computer's folders setup are as follows. You will need to edit them for your setup. Application Path box: C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6\Project64.exe Application Command-Line Parameters box: C:\Users\My user account name here\Documents\Emulation\Project64\UserData\Roms\Doom 64.zip Handy tip. If you have many games to add, to save a lot of typing, make a text file of the two paths. Example text file using my paths: C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6\Project64.exe C:\Users\My user account name here\Documents\Emulation\Project64\UserData\Roms\ Then for each game you want to add you can just copy and paste each path to it's box in LaunchBox. The text entry for the Application Command-Line Parameters box ends with \ You then just have to type in the rom's name and extension.
For anyone having a problem with Project 64 try saving the following code as a batch file and using that batch file as the emulator in LaunchBox. Do not add any cli parameters in LaunchBox.
:: Make sure the path below matches the path on your system, to the project64.exe :: Do not remove the "quotes" if you do change the path. SET P64="C:\Program Files (x86)\Project64 1.6\Project64.exe" :: Do not change this bit. SET STRING=%1 SET STRING=%STRING:"=% START "Project 64" %P64% %STRING%
This works fine providing the full path is correct. Also, make sure you have "quotes" enclosing the path if spaces are present.

Hi bd000 I adapted your code to suit the location of my Project64.exe which is C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6 I should mention here that my N64 roms are in my Documents area. C:\Users\my account name here\Documents\Emulation\Project64\UserData\Roms\ Launching a test game returned the Attempt to open file failed error. I then put the test rom in my Project64.exe folder, and this time the game launched perfectly. The game also launches if it's placed in a sub-folder of Project64 1.6 for example Project64 1.6\Roms Indeed, it will launch even when placed in a different app's folder. So it seems the batch file launcher requires that the game roms be in the C:\Program Files area. I prefer to keep them in my Documents area. Project64 itself permits this. Also my previous frontend had no problems with this - but I prefer LaunchBox. I don't know enough about batch files to expand the batch launcher to work with my setup. I'm not sure if it's even an issue with the batch file or something else. By the way, many thanks for adding my few suggestions to the Emulators Settings list.

I have my roms on a completely different drive to the project64 program folder and this works without a problem. Unsure what your issue may be. If you have not tried already, point the rom paths setting in project64 to your rom folder (the new location that did not work before). Make sure you don't have project64 set to run with admin privileges. You could save the batch script in the project64 folder and run it from there. Or try using code in the original post, but add a /d after the cd at the start of the script. So...
cd /d "c:/path/to/project64" set string=%1% set string=%string: "=% start "" project64.exe %string%
Don't forget the quotes! If it still does not work, add the word "pause" (without quotes) to the bottom of the script and run it again and post the contents of the cmd window here.

This batch file works the same as the first. The game runs when the rom is in the C:\Program Files area, but fails when the rom is in the Documents area. Here is the cmd window return for the unsuccessful run. It seems that there's an issue with the & symbol in the username folder of the rom's path. Two extra spaces appear between the word Annette and the & symbol when the quotes are stripped. C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6>cd /d "c:/program files/project64 1.6" C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6>set string="C:\Users\Annette & Paddy\Documents\Emulation\Project64\UserData\Roms\Doom 64 (E) [!].z64" C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6>set string=C:\Users\Annette & Paddy\Documents\Emulation\Project64\UserData\Roms\Doom 64 (E) [!].z64 The system cannot find the path specified. C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6>start "" project64.exe C:\Users\Annette C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6>pause Press any key to continue . . . Perhaps if I'd used and instead of & when setting up the account and profile I wouldn't be having this problem. Edit: For some reason the 2 extra spaces do not show up in the posted text above.

Yes, I'd spotted the typo, but forgot to mention it in my last post. My problem all along was the ampersand symbol used on my computer's user account profile, which the batch file didn't like. I've now renamed my user account profile. The batch fix now works fine irrespective of where my N64 roms are. Many thanks for your help and patience bd000.

• 2 weeks later...
would anyone care to share how they got dreamcast games to launch with nulldc in launchbox? the command line in this post doesnt work. it would launch nulldc but not the games. i used to use mala frontend and got nulldc to work with this command: -config ImageReader:defaultImage="%path%\%rom%.%ext%" sadly that didnt work. any help would be appreciated. im really loving launchbox so this would be a bummer if i cannot get dreamcast games to launch. thanks