LaunchBox Community Forums

My RPG is called Invention Destruction, come play and test it please!

SentaiBrad

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
Big Update! Mostly internal. Music has changed, some graphics have changed and scripts are jumbled around and RTP data should no longer be needed. A lot of house keeping, making sure everything I have is for comercial use to the best of my ability and documented. I am working on the game past where the Prologue takes you, you just can't go there yet. I am also working on proper links and pages for Indie Game sites so that you guys can follow progress there if you'd like. Thanks to all who have played it thus far.

• 4 weeks later...
I will try to find the time to check it out. Many years ago I was working on a RPG Maker game, had full custom drawn maps and sprites and huge story I had written..but it proved too much to do for one person and I never completed it. Wish I still had the files I had done some epic work on the movies and intro etc. Question: What are the scaling limitations? I seem to only have two options small window or almost full screen. Also at the start some of your images were cut off, the credit images where you credited people a) looked weird (might be a limitation of RPG maker image type) and they were off tot he right and cut off) The next thing I noticed, and you may have intended to fix this later and this is mostly a personal preference thing, but the collision with terrain is wonky. This is due to the nature of tiled map building, however when I made my RPG I used map collision files to set specific collision. FOr instance the cars you can only get within a tile away from them and it looks/feels weird (to me) also you can't walk over the manhole. These are minor but I just know from using RPG Maker before that it is fixable with custom map collision files (It was basically a black and white file where white was walkable and black was not..or something like that..it's been 10+ years since I worked with it ) Will keep going and see if I see anything else :) Well, just when I thought I was going to enter Innocent Sin Online...sheesh. lol I like the story so far, which is the most important part..but also the battle system, which isn't shown here so hopefully it's cool :)

• 4 weeks later...
Is this still going on? Just read about it at work, but will be playing it. If you're serious about making games, and you have any photoshop skills at all, you should get the Unity Engine or Unreal Engine (both free) and take the plunge. The world does not have enough RPGs, but RPGMakerAce has some limitations that disappear in the other engines. The learning curve isn't that bad either, especially for Unity. Make more RPGS PLZ, and release for android so I can stop playing wooden block puzzle games all the time on my phone. :D

Well games made on Ace can only be played on Windows, however I just recently ported my game over to RPG Maker MV, which is Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and HTML5 (Web, Kongregate). So yes, it is still going on, but I can only have a few days of working on it at a time. It is so severely grueling being one person to do all of the work. Granted, my credits list is long and I am using art other people made, and they put in a lot of work but that is maybe 5%, 10% of the TOTAL work needing done on the game. Even the demo that is currently up is slightly out dated. I haven't released the ported demo yet. I am working on a site too for my stuff to get posted to, when that happens the thread will be updated.

• 1 month later...
sadesh said it sounds awesome and I was impressed.Cool
Thank you very much! I haven't worked on the game in a while unfortunately, been working hard for Jason and haven't even thought about my game. I still have the passion for it, but I'm not being paid for it, so...

• 2 weeks later...
Good news to anyone following my game, I am working right this second on trying to get the updated MV Demo up for everyone. Thing's will NOT be near good in some instances. Porting was a massive bitch, excuse the language. I haven't even worked on it for 2 months. 3-4 straight days of working on it with little sleep takes it out of me working on this. I am still working on it and ALWAYS thinking about it.

So the update is live, and It's finally all ported in to MV. It was seriously seriously difficult and thing's might not look right. Part of me wants to scrap the current set of graphics (well 95% of them) and go with something different... and I might. The layout's and the story would be functionally the same, but an updated coat of paint. For those who just want to try the new release: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5o9i9xo024h30i/Invention%20Descruction%20MV%20Alpha%201%20Win.rar?dl=0 The problem, for those interested, is that all my resources were made for RPG Maker VX Ace. This would be fine if Degica (now the developer of RPG Maker MV) kept everything the same. On one hand, they didn't. My game can now be put on the Web, Mac, Mobile and Linux (in the future) after clicking 3 buttons. No special compiling. They also made the graphics a bit bigger, changed the internal resolution, scaling and handling of graphics. The system is a serious serious improvement, but because of that my graphics are all slightly smaller. There are smart ass people working on trying to get the older graphics importable because there are a lot of Paid DLC Packs for Ace (that I bought) that are asses out. For now, there is a resource convertor for users, but it was something someone made and it has slight undesirable effects. Sometimes lines can be seen on some sprites and since it's scaling up, not down, it needs to interpolate the new data, and because of this they're all a bit blurry. That's fine if this is all I use, it's not too noticeable. If I however stick graphics that were made for MV anywhere in the scene, you can immediately tell. I would love someone to just take inspiration from the packs I am using and just create a giant super pack for me. However, that would cost thousands of dollars I do not have. One avenue is Crowd Funding, but no one gives a shit about my project like that. Not to mention I'd rather not go that route for my first ever game, that seems like a mistake to me. Unless Jason or someone else willing to be an angel investor for me, that kind of stuff isn't happening. If it did though, I could get someone to also write a more cohesive soundtrack. What I have is good, but if you listen closely you can tell who was made from who and what didn't come together. Some blends in together, and the Theme song is meant to be totally different then the rest, but still, you can tell. There are some graphical glitches I am aware of, like the door to the shop at the start, but please tell me anything you find. I've tested this a ton, but I still can't find everything. In the original Demo it stopped you at the PC and I left afterwards to be a surprise for a big update. I've gotten rid of that notion, at least for now, and you can proceed beyond the PC. It is very very buggy in here and shit is all over the place. The room right after the PC for example is a room of big contention with me. I am still trying to figure that out, but you can proceed past that intro room. Past that intro room are several more rooms, but doors and graphics might still be broken as I haven't moved too much past that. As 1 man, you all might notice who played the previous Beta that this doesn't seem like much... but every single map has been updated in some respects, some more than others, but switching engines alone was a giant giant task. It was only due to two great people on some RPG Maker MV forums. One person wrote a script so that I could port all my events over from Ace to MV because the back end system is completely re-done (They moved from Ruby to Java) and the user who created the online tool for everyone to convert their Ace graphics to MV graphics. I also want to thank anyone who read this far down the page, and I appreciate anyone who plays my Demo and my game. I do have a question though, based on the demo and the perceived game that will be based on the Demo, how much would you be willing to pay for the whole game if I went down that road? Granted I know combat isn't in yet, and major story hasn't been divulged yet so maybe your answer will change after combat has been introduced (though I think you can tell my game will have more of a story element to it) but I am still curious at this point in time. I still haven't even decided honestly If I want to to go down that road at all. For those who made it this far, tell me Jason is sexy so that I know you made it down this far. ;) We can keep that our secret. :P