LaunchBox Community Forums

Moderator Guidelines and Contributor Rules

Jason Carr

@Jason Carr thanks for the support, I will work on getting the rest of those 'alternate games' up in the next day. The list I've compiled, while not definitive (as I don't have every ROM in existence on their page), is quite thorough - I'd say 98% or better. And this is a great solution, because now the community will be able to add the Retro Achievements 'alternate names' to get games working. This will be great for entries like 

Once those alternate names are added, the only remaining games that will have issues are:

--Listed as Game Boy on the RetroAchievements page (instead of Game Boy Color)--

Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Cobi's Journey
Mega Man Xtreme
Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel
Pokémon Silver Version
Pokémon Pinball (Pokemon Pinball)
Pokémon Trading Card Game
Rayman
Shantae
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Duel Stories

--Duplicate Game Names for Nintendo Entertainment System--

Ms. Pac-Man (Tengen)  -does not differentiate between Namco version, different cheevos for each-
Pac-Man (Tengen) -shows achievements for 'Pac-Man (Namco)'
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade -incorrectly showing achievements for the Ubi Soft version with the same name

Edited by Typhon

On 7/19/2017 at 12:21 AM, Freestate said:

Another moderation sickness like the pokemon names change nonsense.

In order to avoid name changing back and forth, I believe thetvdb.com freezes individual fields or entire seasons of tv-series at a certain moderator level, so only moderators of a certain rank may edit it. Maybe that is an idea we could borrow?

Edited by proghodet
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All done, guys. So the sooner all this stuff gets approved, the sooner I can test everything, to double check and make sure everything is working. This should bring the Retro Achievements match up rate from ~92%, to ~99%.

Along with the games mentioned above, "Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa" for Famicom Disk System will currently not link up, because they (Retro Achievements) have it thrown in with the Nintendo Entertainment System stuff.

Also, "Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo" (NEC PC Engine-CD), and "Ys Book I & II" (NEC TurboGrafx-CD) are both thrown in with the TurboGrafx-16 stuff.

The (temporary?) workaround is to navigate (in Launchbox) to Tools/Manage Platforms/PlatformName/Edit/Scrape As, then select the platform that the game is listed as being a part of on the Retro Achievements page. You'll want to do this only after you've already downloaded all of your metadata (I'm assuming) for the actual platform, of course. This will work for the TG-16 stuff and that one FDS game, but is not a good idea for the GBC games, because then all of your other GBC games will be scraped as regular 'Game Boy,' and will not link up.

Edited by Typhon

7 minutes ago, Typhon said:

Along with the games mentioned above, "Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa" for Famicom Disk System will currently not link up, because they have it thrown in with the Nintendo Entertainment System stuff.

Also, "Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo" (NEC PC Engine-CD), and "Ys Book I & II" (NEC TurboGrafx-CD) are both thrown in with the TurboGrafx-16 stuff.

The (temporary?) workaround is to navigate (in Launchbox) to Tools/Manage Platforms/PlatformName/Edit/Scrape As, then select the platform that the game is listed as being a part of on the Retro Achievements page. You'll want to do this only after you've already downloaded all of your metadata (I'm assuming) for the actual platform, of course.

If a game is listed on the wrong platform, you can always submit a change of platform request on the game's entry page by clicking the edit button where it says "platform" and changing it to the correct one.

EDIT: I misread what you said, and am a dummy.

Edited by FistyDollars

1 minute ago, Typhon said:

Right on... unfortunately, this is a problem on the Retro Achievements end of things - they have games from multiple platforms just thrown together, whereas we (correctly) differentiate. All is good on our end.

My bad, I misread what you were saying. It's late and I'm dense.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, quick update. I've been working on the database website a bit the last couple of days. I put some significant time into the moderation performance; my goal is to get moderation to stop slowing down over time (instead of just archiving records every once in a while). I did make some big performance gains, so hopefully performance stays half-way decent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey all, may I ask if my 3D Cases would be good enough to add to the database? In all cases I have tried to stick with USA ratings but that was not always possible of course. I'll post a link to my 3D Cases here, If I have to upload them myself I will but I just want to get a better feel as to whether or not they would be accepted or not because I have made alot? I did read the rules and I don't see why they wouldn't be accepted to be honest, but just to be sure.

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/profile/75197-levo_stone/content/?type=downloads_file

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@Robin55 They look great! Yes, they should be accepted in the database. Just make sure to categorize them correctly with the correct region and category. Unfortunately I still don't have a way to upload them in batch, though.

Yep, the more 3D box's in the database the better, I downloaded these from the download section and love them, so it would be great for users to not have to go that extra step and come here and download a big pack, that may have a lot of boxes they don't need. I try to use 3D boxes whenever I can. 

@Robin55 are you a member over at emumovies? You could also upload them there if so, they will allow bulk uploads I believe. The  more sources the better. :) 

Another quick update, just fixed a bug where alternate titles without regions were not showing up on the game details pages. All the data and everything was being uploaded and moderated without any issues, but they just weren't showing up. So you'll probably see a bunch more alternate titles show up on the game details pages now. :)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Yep, the more 3D box's in the database the better, I downloaded these from the download section and love them, so it would be great for users to not have to go that extra step and come here and download a big pack, that may have a lot of boxes they don't need. I try to use 3D boxes whenever I can. 

@Robin55 are you a member over at emumovies? You could also upload them there if so, they will allow bulk uploads I believe. The  more sources the better. :) 

Thanks a lot @neil9000 and @Jason Carr  :)! I'll start uploading them tonight. as for Emumovies, yes I am a content contributor over there and I uploaded my 3D boxes to their FTP, I figured they would be made official but so far they have not been so I'll have to do some asking around over there too.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/1/2018 at 3:56 PM, Jason Carr said:

Another quick update, just fixed a bug where alternate titles without regions were not showing up on the game details pages. All the data and everything was being uploaded and moderated without any issues, but they just weren't showing up. So you'll probably see a bunch more alternate titles show up on the game details pages now. :)

Hi jason, I know if somebody wants to add a new region it should be mandatory the he specified the region, I made a bitbucket realted with this issue: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/3852/it-is-necessary-that-every-alternate-name#comment-None , sorry if is some long :D

Pd: thanks a lot for activate me for moderation,I really enjoy to add games !

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Drodrick said:

Hi jason, I know if somebody wants to add a new region it should be mandatory the he specified the region, I made a bitbucket realted with this issue: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/3852/it-is-necessary-that-every-alternate-name#comment-None , sorry if is some long :D

Pd: thanks a lot for activate me for moderation,I really enjoy to add games !

If it does become mandatory to include a specified region, there should definitely be a 'Retro Achievements' region.

Obviously, 'Retro Achievements' is not an actual region. But with poorly named Retro Achievements games, I don't want to slap a 'Europe' or 'Australia' tag on it, then someone who is from that region takes issue with the poorly named game and decides to edit, thus breaking Retro Achievements functionality.

Poorly named Retro Achievements alternate names should have their own 'region' so people know to leave it alone.

Edited by Typhon

4 hours ago, Typhon said:

If it does become mandatory to include a specified region, there should definitely be a 'Retro Achievements' region.

Obviously, 'Retro Achievements' is not an actual region. But with poorly named Retro Achievements games, I don't want to slap a 'Europe' or 'Australia' tag on it, then someone who is from that region takes issue with the poorly named game and decides to edit, thus breaking Retro Achievements functionality.

Poorly named Retro Achievements alternate names should have their own 'region' so people know to leave it alone.

That's the same issue with emumovies sync, we need extra tags on alternate names to manage that. Emumovies uses only no intro and hyperlist name convention i've commented time ago to @Jason Carr

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freestate said:

That's the same issue with emumovies sync, we need extra tags on alternate names to manage that. Emumovies uses only no intro and hyperlist name convention i've commented time ago to @Jason Carr

I just use No-intro Sets, neverthless there are a lot of games alone without images and not merged for this reason