LaunchBox Community Forums

Moderator Guidelines and Contributor Rules

Jason Carr

8 hours ago, Typhon said:

If it does become mandatory to include a specified region, there should definitely be a 'Retro Achievements' region.

Obviously, 'Retro Achievements' is not an actual region. But with poorly named Retro Achievements games, I don't want to slap a 'Europe' or 'Australia' tag on it, then someone who is from that region takes issue with the poorly named game and decides to edit, thus breaking Retro Achievements functionality.

Poorly named Retro Achievements alternate names should have their own 'region' so people know to leave it alone.

You have reason, so most of games in retroachievements are the (USA) version, the alternate names that I said are from other regions like Japan, Retoachivements uses principal USA name, this will not affect retroachievements due to launchbox take the Default application for achievements, This if you have merged your roms.

Trust me, yes, it will. I have studied this quite thoroughly.

If the primary title of the game does not match the name on the Retro Achievements website, Achievements will not show. The solution that Jason has implemented is to use Alternate Names to match the games on the Retro Achievements website.

Can I ask is there a problem with the database at the moment? I uploaded some 3DS eShop 3Dboxes that were not very good (but better than the alternatives I had posted and had been accepted I thought) and since then moderation of content I have added has just stopped dead? I am currently uploading my PlayStation 3 3D boxes but I am kind of worried that something has gone wrong with my account and I am reluctant to keep uploading tonight if things are not moving along? Anyone know what might be happening? 

17 hours ago, Robin55 said:

Can I ask is there a problem with the database at the moment? I uploaded some 3DS eShop 3Dboxes that were not very good (but better than the alternatives I had posted and had been accepted I thought) and since then moderation of content I have added has just stopped dead? I am currently uploading my PlayStation 3 3D boxes but I am kind of worried that something has gone wrong with my account and I am reluctant to keep uploading tonight if things are not moving along? Anyone know what might be happening? 

I've been working on this most of the day so far. Just fixed the moderation issues; let me know if you guys run into anything else.

wow.. I just got a load of rejections, basically everything I uploaded after moderation stopped... @Jason Carr is this because my Playstation 3 boxes didn't have a region? That makes the plugin virtually useless as none of the Playstation 3 games have a region as far as I can see. Or is it to do with something else during the repairs you did to moderation?

12 minutes ago, Robin55 said:

wow.. I just got a load of rejections, basically everything I uploaded after moderation stopped... @Jason Carr is this because my Playstation 3 boxes didn't have a region? That makes the plugin virtually useless as none of the Playstation 3 games have a region as far as I can see. Or is it to do with something else during the repairs you did to moderation?

Ah, that explains some things. What is your user name on the games database @Robin55? There were a number of things that were submitted incorrectly that had bad data that I had to remove; it makes sense that they were submitted by the plugin. It didn't have anything to do with regions, but rather the wrong data in the wrong fields.

Okay, scratch that. There were a whole ton of new games submitted to the games database from your account @Robin55 that had lots of incorrect data (it looks like around 500 new games). The issue is that many of them were missing punctuation or using incorrect casing in the titles, and our moderators were having to reject the majority of them as a result. Rather than make them have to keep rejecting them all, I went ahead and cleared them out. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the plugin, or if the games are just named incorrectly in your collection, but the game titles are very important to get correct when submitting new games, so unfortunately we have to reject new games that are submitted with titles that aren't 100% correct.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, scratch that. There were a whole ton of new games submitted to the games database from your account @Robin55 that had lots of incorrect data (it looks like around 500 new games). The issue is that many of them were missing punctuation or using incorrect casing in the titles, and our moderators were having to reject the majority of them as a result. Rather than make them have to keep rejecting them all, I went ahead and cleared them out. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the plugin, or if the games are just named incorrectly in your collection, but the game titles are very important to get correct when submitting new games, so unfortunately we have to reject new games that are submitted with titles that aren't 100% correct.

OK that's a bit strange because I didn't actually add any new games I just added 3D boxes to already existing PlayStation 3 games. I don't know what data could be wrong if I did it that way other than not having the region information which no PlayStation 3 game has anyway?

Just now, Robin55 said:

OK that's a bit strange because I didn't actually add any new games I just added 3D boxes to already existing PlayStation 3 games. I don't know what data could be wrong if I did it that way other than not having the region information which no PlayStation 3 game has anyway?

There may be an issue with the plugin here then. It looks like the majority were added as new games, likely because the titles didn't match up. For example:

"Chronicles Of Mystery Secret Of The Lost Kingdom" was entered in as a new game. The title for that game using the proper conventions should be "Chronicles of Mystery: Secret of the Lost Kingdom". The plugin could be adding new games when the titles can't be found maybe...

1 minute ago, Robin55 said:

ah sure it's not a big deal @Jason Carr I did add a good few 3DS eShop games that I was not happy with so it's no big deal really, I'm glad those ones didn't go live. later on tonight I'll re add some PlayStation 3 boxes and see how things get on. 

Thanks Robin. Do you know if the images you submitted were for games that were connected to the LaunchBox Games Database? When you edit a game, in the top right of the interface it will tell you if the game is connected to the DB or not:

image.thumb.png.342ac4b030a2fe21899407bc656072b2.pngIf it's not connected, I'm guessing that the plugin will attempt to add a new game.

Hi @Jason Carr, just seeing this!  Tonight may be tough to take a look at it, so if I can't get to it tonight, I'll check it out tomorrow and see what I can find out.  If it helps for now, the plugin should be entering a name and platform, then proceeding to the next screen.  If there are potential matches, it should pause there and wait for the user to select a matching game or add it as a new game.

@Robin55 Can you confirm if it's pausing on that screen for you?

• Like 1

ah, it's not really your plugins fault that I was having problems, @UnderwoodNC I can see now what @Jason Carr was saying about my PlayStation 3 covers that I was adding a good few of them are defiantly named wrong and I have made a mistake or three already tonight unfortunately, concentrating on them a bit harder now. Your Plugin works great for the most part but I think it would be good if you could somehow add an option to get it to pause at the region setting of the kind of artwork being added. That's really the only improvement I could think of.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any consensus regarding developer and publisher names?

So far I've been using full name without the incorporation type. E.g. Obsidian Entertainment, not Obsidian, not Obsidian Entertainment Inc..

What about if the dev/publisher changes names? So far I've been using the name it was using during the release of the game, e.g. Ubi Soft Entertainment for their pre-2003 releases. There are dev/pub "profile" pages in the db, is there a way to link the multiple names together, for example as having one master profile for the company, and having sub-profiles for each name iteration?

13 hours ago, Nucleus said:

So far I've been using full name without the incorporation type. E.g. Obsidian Entertainment, not Obsidian, not Obsidian Entertainment Inc..

This is what I've been doing as well. Although technically correct if you add Inc. etc at the end, I prefer to leave it out.

There are dev/pub "profile" pages in the db, is there a way to link the multiple names together, for example as having one master profile for the company, and having sub-profiles for each name iteration?

I also use the company name they used during the release of the game and IMO this is the correct way to do it.

There are dev/pub "profile" pages in the db, is there a way to link the multiple names together, for example as having one master profile for the company, and having sub-profiles for each name iteration?

I don't think this is possible at the moment, nor do I know if Jason wants to do something like this in the future.

Edited by Jakatsu

• 2 months later...

Hi folks, just want to get an opinion here, would my MAME 3D Boxes be justified adding to the database? I added a few just as a test and they seem to be getting mixed results from the moderators. I know they are kind of my own creation but I think if I was buying a PCB on its own back in the day to put in a machine my boxes would be what I would use for such a thing. Anyway let me know what you guys think.