LaunchBox Community Forums

Feature Specific Tutorials! I need help from the community!

SentaiBrad

Just now, lordmonkus said:

if you got the configs made all you need to do then is go into Launchbox and for each game edit it and on the emulation tab of the edit window check enable custom command line parameters and add the line:

-L "cores\core_name.dll" -C "path\to\gameconfig.cfg"

So for example

-L "cores\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll" -C "config\sonic2.cfg"

But the Rocket Launcher stuff someone like Brad or someone else who knows more about it can hopefully help you out.

RIght. That's how I have it set up now and it's working perfectly. I want to add RL as a middle-man for clean entrances and exits, and that's where I'm lost with how to set up RL to play nicely with LB and RA.

Ok, I thought you were having troubles with the configs as well.

Well hopefully someone can help with the RL side of things. I started back about a year ago with RL and HS and I had just learned how to get it working together when I found Launchbox and haven't looked back.

If you want to use RL, you need to set it up as the emulator, so then RL needs to completely handle RA in that instance. I also don't really have any plans to make an RL Tutorial at all. That could potentially change in the future, but I just honestly have no desire in that area.

1 minute ago, subatomic09 said:

I feel you, @lordmonkus. I actually gave up in my quest a couple years ago because of frustration at what the gamebox frontend situation looked like. A few options, all of them promising, but none of them really that great. When I found LaunchBox, I knew I'd found what I was looking for. I would really love to be able to hide the OS, and RL seems like the best way to do that right now. Maybe one day LaunchBox will be able to do that too! I wouldn't put it past @Jason Carr!

By hide the OS, if you mean BigBox or LaunchBox pops up instead of Explorer, then that is totally doable and people do this. Otherwise, BigBox / LaunchBox launching your media in fullscreen is going to be what happens anyways, so why add a middle man?

19 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Ok, I thought you were having troubles with the configs as well.

Well hopefully someone can help with the RL side of things. I started back about a year ago with RL and HS and I had just learned how to get it working together when I found Launchbox and haven't looked back.

I feel you, @lordmonkus. I actually gave up in my quest a couple years ago because of frustration at what the gamebox frontend situation looked like. A few options, all of them promising, but none of them really that great. When I found LaunchBox, I knew I'd found what I was looking for. I would really love to be able to hide the OS, and RL seems like the best way to do that right now. Maybe one day LaunchBox will be able to do that too! I wouldn't put it past @Jason Carr!

Just now, SentaiBrad said:

By hide the OS, if you mean BigBox or LaunchBox pops up instead of Explorer, then that is totally doable and people do this. Otherwise, BigBox / LaunchBox launching your media in fullscreen is going to be what happens anyways, so why add a middle man?

Hi SentaiBrad. You know, your statement made me go check my settings, and I realized I had "minimize LaunchBox when game launches" turned on. I unchecked that, and now the games launch without showing my desktop. So then, am I misunderstanding what people mean by clean entrances and exits?

Probably a bit. As far as I know, it's just fancier transitions or bezels. I wouldn't call it a smoother launch necessarily, just a fancier launch. It probably does do a bit to hide some stuff, but if you have LaunchBox set the way you do or you launch your game or emulator in full screen, you get the same effect in the end. If the extra stuff is something you want, then RL is the way to go if you want the extra stuff it provides.

RL is great for such things as bezels, transitions, easily changing/setting different emulator options to be used, utilizing its configurations for changing controls, custom scripts, easy ability to use with multiple frontends so you don't have to set up each one separately. List goes on and on and on. RA is easy to config, add it as an emulator, direct it to the cores and launch a game, set up your configs for that system and save them and rename that file to match the name of the system in RL.

• SentaiBrad pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a unique tutorial request @SentaiBrad. Can you do a tutorial on how to make Big Box automatically start up on your gaming computer when powering on your PC? I don't want anyone, including myself, to ever see the operating system and it'd be really cool to be able to have Big Box automatically start up immediately once you launch your PC. If we can get this working then Big Box will truly be a plug and play system.

The easiest way to do this is set up Launchbox as your Windows shell. Use a program called bsetshell to change your shell. Go to this website http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/ on the left hand side click bsetshell and download it. Put the program where ever you like and run it. A small window will open and in the Shell for all users section click other and type in the path to your BigBox.exe. Click set & logout. Now when your system boots up it will boot into BigBox.

If you ever want to switch back open your task manager with Ctrl + Shift + Escape and use this to load the bsetshell.exe and set it back to Explorer.

• Like 1