LaunchBox Community Forums

GDI+ Generic error on startup

CircinusPrime

I'm not submitting a bug report for this since I'm pretty sure it's something wrong with my system Every time I try to run LaunchBox, I get the following stack trace:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: A generic error occurred in GDI+. at System.Drawing.Image.Save(String filename, ImageCodecInfo encoder, EncoderParameters encoderParams) at LaunchBox.WelcomeForm.SaveTempPngAndGetPath(Image image) at LaunchBox.WelcomeForm.WelcomeForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl() at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
It started happening at random and persists across LaunchBox reinstalls. Any thoughts?

CircinusPrime said I'm not submitting a bug report for this since I'm pretty sure it's something wrong with my system Every time I try to run LaunchBox, I get the following stack trace:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: A generic error occurred in GDI+. at System.Drawing.Image.Save(String filename, ImageCodecInfo encoder, EncoderParameters encoderParams) at LaunchBox.WelcomeForm.SaveTempPngAndGetPath(Image image) at LaunchBox.WelcomeForm.WelcomeForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl() at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
It started happening at random and persists across LaunchBox reinstalls. Any thoughts?
The forums are great got any kind of post a user wants to make, so welcome. What have you tried specifically, just a different exe? If so, try the latest exe in a folder all on its own. New images folder, new XML. Another thing you could try is your XML backups. They've actually started to save me. Copy the name 'LaunchBox.xml' then delete that file. Go in to your backups, rename the first one and put that in with your exe. See if any of that helps. Otherwise can you walk me through what happened if you can remember? I'll see if I can't reproduce this error.

SentaiBrad said The forums are great got any kind of post a user wants to make, so welcome. What have you tried specifically, just a different exe? If so, try the latest exe in a folder all on its own. New images folder, new XML. Another thing you could try is your XML backups. They've actually started to save me. Copy the name 'LaunchBox.xml' then delete that file. Go in to your backups, rename the first one and put that in with your exe. See if any of that helps. Otherwise can you walk me through what happened if you can remember? I'll see if I can't reproduce this error.
I've tried those suggestions, and I'm still getting this. Here's a screenshot if it helps: http://puu.sh/baxeo/728cdb14e3.jpg As for exactly what happened, the first time this started happening was completely out of the blue. I had LaunchBox set up and running smoothly, and one day after a reboot it started happening out of nowhere. No updates, no changes at all. I'd pinned LaunchBox to my taskbar and used that to run it. I've also gone straight to the install directory and ran the executable directly

CircinusPrime said
SentaiBrad said The forums are great got any kind of post a user wants to make, so welcome. What have you tried specifically, just a different exe? If so, try the latest exe in a folder all on its own. New images folder, new XML. Another thing you could try is your XML backups. They've actually started to save me. Copy the name 'LaunchBox.xml' then delete that file. Go in to your backups, rename the first one and put that in with your exe. See if any of that helps. Otherwise can you walk me through what happened if you can remember? I'll see if I can't reproduce this error.
I've tried those suggestions, and I'm still getting this. Here's a screenshot if it helps: http://puu.sh/baxeo/728cdb14e3.jpg As for exactly what happened, the first time this started happening was completely out of the blue. I had LaunchBox set up and running smoothly, and one day after a reboot it started happening out of nowhere. No updates, no changes at all. I'd pinned LaunchBox to my taskbar and used that to run it. I've also gone straight to the install directory and ran the executable directly
I haven't been playing around with the new version, so it could be a random bug, or a personal bug. I've had a few of those. Try an older XML in your backups folder just to be safe. There should be 20 of them by default. Try the oldest one in there if you haven't already.

SentaiBrad said I haven't been playing around with the new version, so it could be a random bug, or a personal bug. I've had a few of those. Try an older XML in your backups folder just to be safe. There should be 20 of them by default. Try the oldest one in there if you haven't already.
I've gone through a few of my backup XML files, including the latest and oldest to no avail. Do you happen to have an older version of LaunchBox that I can try, to see if that would do anything?

CircinusPrime said
SentaiBrad said I haven't been playing around with the new version, so it could be a random bug, or a personal bug. I've had a few of those. Try an older XML in your backups folder just to be safe. There should be 20 of them by default. Try the oldest one in there if you haven't already.
I've gone through a few of my backup XML files, including the latest and oldest to no avail. Do you happen to have an older version of LaunchBox that I can try, to see if that would do anything?
https://www.launchbox-app.com/new-releases/launchbox-version-3-4-released https://www.launchbox-app.com/new-releases/launchbox-version-3-3-released

SentaiBrad said https://www.launchbox-app.com/new-releases/launchbox-version-3-4-released https://www.launchbox-app.com/new-releases/launchbox-version-3-3-released
The download links in the older release posts are redirecting me to the 3.5 setup instead of the old version. Either way, I stumbled across a 3.1 setup, and it still does the same thing

CircinusPrime said
SentaiBrad said https://www.launchbox-app.com/new-releases/launchbox-version-3-4-released https://www.launchbox-app.com/new-releases/launchbox-version-3-3-released
The download links in the older release posts are redirecting me to the 3.5 setup instead of the old version. Either way, I stumbled across a 3.1 setup, and it still does the same thing
They are? Damn... I should also say, have you updated your PC in a while? Not necessarily just drivers, but the software? Microsoft specific packages like .Net Framework and the like? If you're on Windows 7 or 8.1, run your Windows Update and that should make sure most of your Windows Specifics are updated. I don't know if that will help... but its worth a shot otherwise Jason is going to have to take a look.

SentaiBrad said They are? Damn... I should also say, have you updated your PC in a while? Not necessarily just drivers, but the software? Microsoft specific packages like .Net Framework and the like? If you're on Windows 7 or 8.1, run your Windows Update and that should make sure most of your Windows Specifics are updated. I don't know if that will help... but its worth a shot otherwise Jason is going to have to take a look.
After running through Windows Update, version 3.1, 3.5 and the nightly all still have this error. .NET Framework is already up-to-date

Hey Circinus, let's get this resolved. Not exactly sure what might be going on, but we'll get it figured out. Have you tried installing to a brand new folder without any existing LaunchBox.xml files (an empty collection)? Also, make sure that you have full access to the images folder; it looks to me like it might be caused by incorrect file system permissions in the images folder. So first off, see if a brand new installation of LaunchBox works properly somewhere inside your My Documents folder.

Jason Carr said Hey Circinus, let's get this resolved. Not exactly sure what might be going on, but we'll get it figured out. Have you tried installing to a brand new folder without any existing LaunchBox.xml files (an empty collection)? Also, make sure that you have full access to the images folder; it looks to me like it might be caused by incorrect file system permissions in the images folder. So first off, see if a brand new installation of LaunchBox works properly somewhere inside your My Documents folder.
Hey Jason. Yep, installing to a new folder in Documents was one of the first things I tried. This seems to be persisting across reinstalls. As for folder permissions, all looks fine to me, but you probably know more than me in terms of filesystem permissions. Here's a screenshot of the permissions window: http://puu.sh/bbYGN/078e474945.png The folder owner is also set to my user

Ah, so I looked further into this. Apparently the temp path on your computer has file system permissions that are messed up; that seems to be what's going on. However, it'd be better if LaunchBox didn't crash as a result, as it's just a matter of not showing the images in the welcome screen I think. So I'll see if I can make it work regardless. :)

I added a safety check here; you'll probably still get an error warning on startup but at least it shouldn't crash the application. I'll be putting up a new beta release here soon (probably tonight), you can download that and give that a try when it's up. To fix it for real, you'll probably need to fix the file permissions for your temporary folder. Try opening Windows Explorer and putting %tmp% or %temp% in your address bar. That should take you to the temporary folder.

Hmm... Actually, it works just fine the first time I run it. After adding a game, the box art does not show (but the background does), but it still runs fine. After restarting LaunchBox, I get a new error:
System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid. at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData) at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream) at LaunchBox.Caching.ImageCache.PrepopulateImageCache() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
However, I can push the error behind LaunchBox and it works fine, except for box art. Here's another screenshot if it helps any: http://puu.sh/bgF3j/89471bd6ef.jpg

CircinusPrime said Hmm... Actually, it works just fine the first time I run it. After adding a game, the box art does not show (but the background does), but it still runs fine. After restarting LaunchBox, I get a new error:
System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid. at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData) at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream) at LaunchBox.Caching.ImageCache.PrepopulateImageCache() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
However, I can push the error behind LaunchBox and it works fine, except for box art. Here's another screenshot if it helps any: http://puu.sh/bgF3j/89471bd6ef.jpg
There are two options under tools. Clean up Images and Refresh Images. If you are having a problem where some images disappear (i had a problem where about 100 front covers went poof, but it was still there) try the refresh button. If still no, try Clean Up Images and then refresh. If still no, go in to your Images folder and manually delete the entry for the game and try to re-download the images. I believe its on the list too for better mass library functions, similar to what a scan will do. Like downloading selected images for every game for example. So if at the very least we can't pin point this issue we have tools to work around it. Another general thought about images, I had a trouble image that would cause crashes quite a lot. It gave me horrible crc issues and the like, but corrupted images can cause a number of odd issues. That's why I suggest manually deleting the trouble images folder. I didn't solve my problems until I moved my entire 10GB LaunchBox folder to another drive. Oh, and USB2 externals have horrendous reads on images as well.

Quick update: disabling RAM caching solves the parameter not valid error, but I'm still getting no box art drawing for all my 55 games, even though background art loads just fine. With so many games doing this, I wouldn't think it was a case of corruption? I can edit a game's entry and in the image preview the box art loads fine, same with manually navigating to the images folder and viewing the box art from there