LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

17 minutes ago, candre23 said:

It's really easy to build ratio on PD.  They have lots of freeleech torrents - just grab one and keep seeding.

I'm downloading a free MAME ROM torrent, and it's downloading OK though apart from for the first 10 minutes, no one seems to be seeding from me. Currently at 40GB downloaded but only 19MB uploaded!

Edited by Dan

On 3/29/2018 at 12:28 PM, eXo said:

Yea, so basically I have already released Adventure and RPG packs. Strategy pack releases very soon. 

When you download one of these packs, it pre-populates launchbox with all of the art assets, manuals, etc... so you don't have to scrape anything.

You rock eXoDOS.  Scraping for video clips if you have a emumovies account, can be fruitful, yes?

2 hours ago, FistyDollars said:

@eXo, I have a question for you. In the RPG 2.0 Collection (I haven't checked the 3.1 version so I can't be sure) the game(s) "Solar Winds: Galaxy & The Escape" are listed as one game for the purposes of the collection. However, they're two parts of a game (Solar Winds: Galaxy and Solar Winds: The Escape) that were released nearly a year apart (with different boxes and everything), and don't have a compilation release as far as I can tell. For the gamesdb, I try to be as accurate as possible, so I'd prefer that they be listed as two separate games, however that would mean that whenever someone tries to import the games from Launchbox, it's going to be erroneously matched to either one or the other. I had a similar issue with Mechwarrior 2, but thankfully a compilation was released so I just pretended that that's what the eXoDOS collection included.

I suppose I could just include both versions of the covers and duct-tape the two entries together, but it just seems sloppy. Thoughts?

Hmm... Good point. Don't mess up the games DB on my behalf. Go ahead and enter them properly. I think the solution is to either make a third combined entry or just don't make a matching entry. If I hadn't already released the pack I would have split it for you. It's been several years since I added those games, but at the time mobygames had them combined. I guess they have been been since then.

2 hours ago, FistyDollars said:

also @eXo on an unrelated note, it looks like "Solid State Pinball: Tristan" and "Tristan Pinball" are duplicates of the same game.

Thank you!

54 minutes ago, cleverest said:

You rock eXoDOS.  Scraping for video clips if you have a emumovies account, can be fruitful, yes?

I didn't realize there were any matching movies uploaded to emumovies. I had heard some talk about tackling that, but didn't know how much progress there had been.

That said, yes, go for it! Let me know how it goes.

• Like 1

In the Dos! folder after installing the new Strategy pack (running the set up) and the patch..... I've noticed that the three folders in games\dos! are empty EXCEPT for the .BAT file for each game...are these broken or were they removed?

PrinRKW   (Princess Red Keyboard Warrior (2016)
RotFK95 (Romance of the Forgotten Kingdom (1995)
srogue (SRogue (2010)

All three of those games are from the RPG pack. Not sure why you would see them after installing the strategy pack...?

Very odd. I'll do some testing and see what I come up with.

Did you happen to run the patch as well, or no?

Edited by eXo

42 minutes ago, eXo said:

All three of those games are from the RPG pack. Not sure why you would see them after installing the strategy pack...?

Very odd. I'll do some testing and see what I come up with.

Did you happen to run the patch as well, or no?

yes I downloaded over my old adventure/rpg download....ran setup.bat, then patch.bat

Not sure what I did wrong, but my MS-DOS games still show 1,400 total...the new Strategy ones aren't showing up in Launchbox...

After installing and patching, I copied over the contents of the folder GAMES into my existing collection where the other ones are, this is the same I did with RPG and ADV pack...as well as copying everything in IMAGES\MS-DOS, and the MS-DOS.XML file in DATA (overwrote the old one), and now Launchbox still will not show more than 1,400 games...

What could I be doing wrong?

Launchbox doesn't care what games are there, launchbox only cares what games are listed in the XML file. The XML file is created by taking the extracted contents of the advmetadata.zip, rpgmetadata.zip, and the strmetadata.zip files in the XML folder and combining the three .game files into a MS-DOS.xml file which is then copied to the platform folder.

Can you check your XML directory and tell me if all the .game files are there? Obviously the strategy and rpg ones are there, but please see if the strategy one is. If not, verify you have the strmetadata.zip file in the root folder.

Yes the XML file is the new one in the strategy download, I searched and found SIMCITY inside of it to verify...

I have all the packs metadata zips in the Launchbox folder...RPG, ADV and STR

Should I run SETUP.BAT and then Patch.bat again....maybe that will fix it?

5 hours ago, Dan said:

I think I will go down the conservative route and copy the assets across manually with the xmls combined rather than risk any automated process!

that's what I do...I run the set up process on a different installation and then copy over the MS-DOS.xml, all the images content, and metadata....

But for some reason this time, the strategy games aren't showing, so I'm trying to run the setup and patch again, this time from my LB collection...I have no other DOS games in my MS-DOS platform (my other ones are in a TOTAL-DOS collection, that is a big mess currently), so that should work I am really hoping...we'll see

1 hour ago, cleverest said:

back to like it was originally, at only 1400 MS-DOS games...I don't know what to do at this point....UGH

I just checked my files. First, the 3 empty folders under exodos\games\!dos. I checked my files and the GamesRPG.zip file has all three of those folders in it, and all three are populated. How they would be empty for you doesn't make much sense.

The file not found error isn't an issue. That is simply because you don't have all 5 volumes. It is looking for the Sim/Action packs and not finding them.

I've just taken clean copies of all three packs, dropped them in a folder together, and run setup. After it finished I started launchbox (in the same folder that I ran setup. I didn't try any of this manual stuff you guys are talking about to try and move it to a different install). Launchbox popped open with 2,771 games in it.

I know from the PD forums that no one else has reported any issues with this. 

Cleverest, when did you actually download my pack? The first night it was available? If so, go back and redownload the torrent, and point it to your files. For the first few hours my pack was alive, there was an error in the xml. You can tell if you have the messed up version by going to the xml folder and opening the strategy.game file with a text editor. What is the very first line of your copy of the file?

That's right... You have the newer version of the torrent. In the XML folder should be a MS-DOS.xml file which is the three .game files combined with a header and footer added. Try putting it in your launchbox platforms folder over whatever version is in there.

1 hour ago, eXo said:

That's right... You have the newer version of the torrent. In the XML folder should be a MS-DOS.xml file which is the three .game files combined with a header and footer added. Try putting it in your launchbox platforms folder over whatever version is in there.

Just tried again (after downloading the torrent over again to be safe) - same issue, stuck at 1400 MS-DOS games....copied over the XML file to platforms folder in launchbox

:-(  I wish I knew what I did wrong....I got the other two packs installed fine...

Edited by cleverest