LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

1 hour ago, Voljega said:

Hello eXo, I just have a little question related to you Win3.1 collection, as I'm mainly using your DOS collection on Raspberry Pi (after an automatic conversion I wrote), I would like to the same with ExoWin31 :)

The main issue is that one the Pi DOSbox is only working fine when launching the game fullscreen (otherwise there is no image or the ratio is awfull or it crashes), so I have to use the following parameters in dosbox.conf :

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=original
output=texture
renderer = auto
vsync=false
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.map
usescancodes=true

And I could'nt find any working parameters in the dosbox.conf to launch Minesweeper for instance in fullscreen, even on Windows I can't launch any 'purely win 3.1' games fullscreen (that is games using win3.1 windows and such, but for games like Dark Seed 2 it works)

For minesweeper on windows it seems to work in windowed mode with the following parameters :

[sdl] 
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false 
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original 
output=overlay
renderer=auto 
vsync=false
autolock=true 
sensitivity=100 
waitonerror=true 
priority=higher,normal 
mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map 
usescancodes=true 

but whatever how I modified these parameters, even using the one I put a few lines above, there is no way to get the game in fullscreen, the best I achieved on windows is a black fullscreen with no image (I can escape with ctrl+F9)

Do you have any idea how to get that working in full screen ?

It runs in full screen just fine for me, but that is on a Windows desktop. I've never attempted to use any of my collections on that particular port of dosbox. I have to imagine it's an issue with the port though, since my version seems ok.

Hello eXo,

It's strange because I even reinstalled Win3x collection from scratch yesterday, choosing Full Screen for all game and activating aspect ratio, and Minesweeper indeed launches in windowed mode ? And FullScreen is set to false in dosbox.conf for the game just after installation ?

I'm in Windows 7 with a 1080p resolution for my desktop.

Anyway, I managed to make it work, I had to activate fulldouble to true to be able to have an image in fulllscreen (otherwise it is not possible), but the game would still be reduced to a small square inside the screen, I had to force resolution to 640x480 to have true full screen in 4/3, bigger resolution are not posssible it seem.

It's pretty good, except the mouse is a bit strange, somehow it seems there is delay between my movement and sometimes the mouse get 'stuck'  on the screen before disappearing and reapparing where it's supposed to be.

And it doesn't happen in windowed mode...

Anyway, it's still very usable, just a bit annoying

Also was the Yoda Stories game only released in W95 ? I thought it was on win3.1 like the Indiana Jones one.

I thought Yoda stories was win16 as well, and was surprised when I found out was only for win95.

Most likely just an installer issue. The files are probably the exact same format. But since the game doesn't officially support win 16, I didn't try to make it work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 3:36 PM, eXo said:

I thought Yoda stories was win16 as well, and was surprised when I found out was only for win95.

Most likely just an installer issue. The files are probably the exact same format. But since the game doesn't officially support win 16, I didn't try to make it work.

Yep, maybe, but also maybe not so easy

So I finally made if works, it just turns out that Dosbox is really picky regarding its parameters, its behaviour is completly different depending on device and even video card, I do not have the same behaviour with my Rapsberry Pi, my Windows 7 computer and it is even different on my Windows 7 Computer when I connect an external screen (just duplicating desktop)

I can't make the game using .img for windows3.1 partition and boot command because it requires Dosbox SVN though and doesn't work with regular Dosbox 0.74 (on my PI, boot command just crashes Dosbox), guess I'll have to leave that aside for now.

And I was going to ask if you were still working on the update of the DOS Action collection and saw that it was already released on PD, life is good ! Thank you for releasing all these gems for our enjoyment :)

Edited by Voljega

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I want to copy my existing eXoDOS Launchbox install into another Launchbox install that is a smaller set (and will delete many games from it later).  Would this be the correct process?

1. Copy my existing/installed already eXoDOS folder from my existing drive's \Launchbox\eXoDOS folder into the new drive's \Launchbox folder...

2. Copy the setup.bat and patch.bat from the root of my existing \LaunchBox folder also into the new Launchbox folder.

3. Run setup.bat and let it finish, and then run patch.bat?

Is that correct or am I missing something? I forget if patch.bat is even needed...

• 4 weeks later...

A Big thank you to eXO and the team for their hard work.

I wondered if there was a  way to install eXoDOS_v3.11 into my existing Launchbox installation. When I run eXoDOS_v3.11 setup it creates a brand new fresh install of LaunchBox. 

is it possible to get all those games installed to my main, several years old, Launchbox install?

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 7:24 AM, BIGZIPZ said:

A Big thank you to eXO and the team for their hard work.

I wondered if there was a  way to install eXoDOS_v3.11 into my existing Launchbox installation. When I run eXoDOS_v3.11 setup it creates a brand new fresh install of LaunchBox. 

is it possible to get all those games installed to my main, several years old, Launchbox install?

Wondering the same. Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this.

It's easy, but it takes a few steps. Specific instructions are posted on my discord channel.  Here is a quick copy paste:

To merge your eXoDOS launchbox files into an existing launchbox installation, do the following:

copy .\data\platforms\MS-DOS.xml from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\Manuals\MS-DOS*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\images\MS-DOS*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\eXoDOS*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder 

• Like 2

Just now, eXo said:

It's easy, but it takes a few steps. Specific instructions are posted on my discord channel.  Here is a quick copy paste:

To merge your eXoDOS launchbox files into an existing launchbox installation, do the following:

copy .\data\platforms\MS-DOS.xml from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\Manuals\MS-DOS*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\images\MS-DOS*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\eXoDOS*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder 

Thanks a lot eXo, I'm almost finishing the download and gonna do that.

Is there any patreon, paypal or similar for a little contribution for your all hard work?

29 minutes ago, eXo said:

Thanks. 

I don't take any money for this stuff. Would be too easy to seem like people are paying for the games instead of my time. 

I understand. This collection is pretty new to me. For ages I had only used retropie with a few old but gold games. If I got it right exodos is a brand new compilation (3.11) and win3x0 available right now is under development and getting an update too right? Just curious, not interested in ETA.

Edit: I'm getting exodos from the-eye with a side of 200gb. Is this right? Asking because I had the impression that previous compilation (2.0) was 300gb+.

Edited by joelfabiani

eXoDOS is a project I started over 10 years ago. V3.11 is the latest version of it and was released over the past year.

One of the big changes in it was the addition of launchbox as a front end. 

Win3x0 is a sister project focused on windows 3 games. It has only had one release, which still runs the old front end. 

Currently I'm working on exodos v4, which is a fairly massive addition. After that I'll begin working on win3x0 v2, which will be launchbox compatible. I'll probably also rename it to eXoWin3x for simplicity sake.

At some point, I'm looking at doing a Win9x pack, however there are some technical hurdles that have to be solved first.

If you are interested in any more detail, I recommend the discord channel.

The full size of all 5 volumes should be around 400gb or so off the top of my head. Maybe closer to 350. Definitely not 200. Sounds like you missed a volume? There are 5.

Edited by eXo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, eXo said:

If you are interested in any more detail, I recommend the discord channel.

The full size of all 5 volumes should be around 400gb or so off the top of my head. Maybe closer to 350. Definitely not 200. Sounds like you missed a volume? There are 5.

It's pretty clear now. Thanks for your detailed answer. 

I didn't finished downloading yet. But I thought it was 200gb based on the-eye info header where it states to be 200gb. I tried to grab a screenshot now but I'm getting bad gateway there.   

Thank you again for everything. 

Hi, eXo!

I recently discovered your eXoDOS compilations, and I can only say... wow. The amount of work, attention and time dedicated to this astounds me. I'm currently downloading it from a public server (the-eye.eu), but I'd like to keep updated whenever you release a new version. Could you tell me how to find and connect to your discord channel? Also, if you happen to use bittorrent or similar tool to make these available to the public, I'd like to seed them after I'm done downloading. In short, I'd like to help in any way I can.

Thanks for this incredible labour. You are amazing.

20 hours ago, eXo said:

Glad you found the packs. 

They are seeded from pleasuredome.org.uk, however you have to have an account there and you have to build up ratio to be able to seed them (as the system won't know you already have them when you first join).

You can find us over at

https://discord.gg/nY6zagn

Thanks a lot! I'll register there as soon as possible and start seeding. Cheers!