LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

I am a Noob here but want to express my thanks for all the hard work  @Jason Carr @eXo @donarumo have done.

I have been emulating since I wee kid in the 90s but it was Launch Box, retroarch and the Exodos that pushed over the edge to put a proper collection together and buy a raid box.

Its really easy and fun now to browse your favorites and discover gems you missed.

Edited by GuroDragon
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

While we wait for this awesome feature to be built into the excellent Launchbox, can anyone who has managed to integrate a game from the ExoDOS collection into Launchbox 7.5 give me a heads up and maybe an idea of how to manually install some of the games? Can you install a game from eXo's fine collection straight into Launchbox using the default import wizard/method?

8 minutes ago, Freakystreak said:

While we wait for this awesome feature to be built into the excellent Launchbox, can anyone who has managed to integrate a game from the ExoDOS collection into Launchbox 7.5 give me a heads up and maybe an idea of how to manually install some of the games? Can you install a game from eXo's fine collection straight into Launchbox using the default import wizard/method?

Yes, I imported the games with the default import wizard. Some games want to be pointed towards the conf file, and the basic importer isn't built to handle the eXoDOS collection specifically, but as a quick workaround the games do work. Some games I point towards the custom conf file provided in the collection, and sometimes the exe and bat that's selected doesn't always work, you may need to change it to another one. You might also meed to run a games set up / config exe / bat's from time to time, as they might need to be initialized. The last 2 things (changing exe's and running setups) is something you'd need to do from time to time when importing already installed DOS games anyways.

• Like 2

Just now, Freakystreak said:

Thanks Brad for the speedy reply and info. It seems to be a bit messy to get working but I guess it's the hoops you have to go through to get it working in Launchbox for the time being. :)

Well, it's more the nature of DOS to be fair. The only reason the eXoDOS collection is much easier in comparison, is because eXo did all the hard work for everyone. When finding DOS games online randomly, or when installing them from media that you may have, there is a little bit more work than just turning it on, but again, that's more of an extension of DOS it's self. LaunchBox tries to go a long way to help, making configuring easier, but it's still not too simple in the long run.

• Like 2

Had a try at setting up Launchbox with a couple of the ExoDOS games and I managed to get a couple to indeed work... Just used Install DOS games - game is already installed in a folder option, however, when I did the same for Full Throttle it did indeed complete the setup in Launchbox but when I went to play it it asked for the CD. Any ideas on getting past this?

4 minutes ago, Freakystreak said:

I did the same for Full Throttle ... but when I went to play it it asked for the CD. Any ideas on getting past this?

If I understand the issue you are having, the "CD" is included in the eXodos game folder.  You need to edit the conf file being used to load the CD as a drive letter in DOSBox.  The conf file in the eXodos Full Throttle folder should have the right text at the bottom of the file.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, donarumo said:

If I understand the issue you are having, the "CD" is included in the eXodos game folder.  You need to edit the conf file being used to load the CD as a drive letter in DOSBox.  The conf file in the eXodos Full Throttle folder should have the right text at the bottom of the file.

Ah yes Duh.... Thanks I never thought of that... Much appreciated pal... ;)

You also don't need to run the DOS installer, just the DOS importer, that way the entire folder can be imported really fast. @donarumo got you on the right track though, the conf files will hold special parameters and instructions for certain games, so if you're having issues with them, double check for a conf file and see if you need to edit it a bit. For the most part though, I think they're using relative paths? I haven't dug too deep in to it though, and if it is, you shouldn't need to add a drive letter as that would break portability.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...