LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

5 hours ago, eXo said:

While the goal is to eventually get all the exodos art assets uploaded to the gamesdb, that will obviously take some time. So I want to ensure that those who download my sets have art right off the bat, and don't have to go through a lengthy import/d/l process in order to enjoy the work I've done so far. So the importer is key for that. Hopefully I'll have something that works soon.

@eXo for what it's worth, I've been going through every game in the eXoDOS collection and adding them/cleaning up the existing entries in the gamesdb as needed. I'm nearly done with the "E"s, it's a long process and there are a lot of games. Your eXoDOS collection is the reason I got back into emulation and then LaunchBox, so I figured this is the least I could do.

• Thanks 3

Hey, that is great news! I'll have to pull some games up and see how they look.

For most of the games back then I was manually downloading assets off of mobygames. It wasn't until later I learned how to bypass their links and grab the original artwork w/out watermarks in higher quality.  I've wanted to go back and replace all those assets with better quality ones for a few years now, but once I started working getting my stuff into LB it seemed like a better goal would be to just try and get it all into the games db. Thanks for your work on it.

I've been pulling the images from Mobygames myself (thankfully they stopped watermarking them), how do you get the original high quality images? The images I get from them typically top out at around 800 by 1100 or so, which isn't bad, but its frustrating when they mention the much higher resolution of the original scan.

• 1 month later...
On 04/10/2017 at 1:51 PM, eXo said:

The next versions of eXoDOS and Win3xO will both release with launchbox packed in and ready to go. For those who already have my sets, there has been work on an importer, however it is slow going currently as those involved are all also working on other things.

How are things progressing here? I'm looking to import exoDOS/Win3xO into LB, but have got things on pause until there is a clear way forward.

Edited by Dan
  • Like 1

Vol 1-3 are done and ready for release. 

I'm still working on 4 & 5. Lots of new action games to add. Not hard work, just time consuming.

My suggestion is to not import exodos into LB at this time. Just wait for the release. Unfortunately, Any work you do now wouldn't carry over to the new pack.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, eXo said:

Vol 1-3 are done and ready for release. 

I'm still working on 4 & 5. Lots of new action games to add. Not hard work, just time consuming.

My suggestion is to not import exodos into LB at this time. Just wait for the release. Unfortunately, Any work you do now wouldn't carry over to the new pack.

Thanks for the heads up, eXo!  

For what it's worth, I am going to release them slowly, spaced apart. 

In the past I released all 5 volumes of V2.0 very close to each other, and it caused me several problems. First and foremost, I was seeding all 5 volumes on 2 different sites. That is 10 fairly large torrents all seeding at the same time, which even with my fiber connection, was no bueno.

So I'll be releasing eXoDOS Vol 1, Version 3 first and then waiting until it has enough seeds on both of my primary upload sites before moving on to the next one.

For those of you who rely on archive.org, keep in mind I do not have direct control over when it goes live there. Generally they acquire the files from me like everyone else, and then host them on their own server. v2.0 took like 6 months to show up over there due to other projects that Jason Scott was working on.

The LaunchBox crew does *NOT* condone piracy! Please do not post here asking for download links or attempting to provide any of them. If you would like to acquire eXoDOS and you aren't sure where to start, google is a great resource. Or you could try to find this "eXo" guy who apparently built the whole thing and PM him. He might know. 

• Like 1

Just looking at the options. Torrents have their advantages but they take too long. My download speed is fine but it still took much longer to complete than it should have. But my poor upload speed would have taken 7 additional days just to meet my obligation. After one day watching my PC struggle, I had to stop and sent the primary person an apology via email. Archive.org would work fine, but the newsgroups would be better and faster for anyone who uses them, plus retention is 3 years and even longer. That would reduce much of the load from any Torrent as well as Archive.org.

BTW, the LaunchBox concept really looks interesting. Looking forward to this eXo. Thanks!

Torrent speed is fine.

Archive.org will take long.

Some multi-upload solution is OK too (mostly... some are very strict).

Many don't use newsgroups any more (many providers don't have a free feed) and don't even know about them or how to use them.

Torrents NEED the load as it will eventually give more seeds.

Look, while I'm happy archive.org hosts my stuff, their download speed is absolutely horrible. Not to mention they pack all 5 of my volumes into one file, so god forbid you get a hiccup along the way and are forced to start over from scratch. Torrent is not only *much* faster, but it also allows you to resume downloads, pause downloads, and even take files you already have so you don't have to start from scratch. 

As far as newsgroups go, their habit of taking everything and splitting it into 100 parts is absolutely ridiculous and time consuming.  It also reaches only a fraction of the people that torrents reach. 

As far as I'm concerned, there is no debate as to the best way to distribute. It is simply a matter of trying to get it on a site that people can access, preferably without ratio.

4 minutes ago, FistyDollars said:

Fair enough. Let's just say that if you know what Kubla Khan decreed in Xanadu, you might find answers. Vague enough?

Eh. I was worried because several months ago someone said something and the guy with his hand on the trigger at the time got all bent out of shape. Obviously that's not the case anymore though. PD gets mentioned all the time on these forums. Seems to be a lot more random now as to what is cool and what isn't.

Edited by eXo