LaunchBox Community Forums

DOSBox SVN Daum implementation in Launchbox

HYRO

DOSBox SVN Daum has a lot more options than standard DOSBox 0.74, one and most important is 3dfx Internal Voodoo Emulation, we can play games with much better graphic. Is there any chance to replace standard DOSBox with DOSBox SVN Daum in Launchbox? I was trying to do it by myself, but I couldn't configure it as the one in Launchbox, there was always some problem with scaling and configuration when switching between 3dfx games and non-3dfx gemes... Here is the link to DOSBox SVN Daum: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

HYRO said DOSBox SVN Daum has a lot more options than standard DOSBox 0.74, one and most important is 3dfx Internal Voodoo Emulation, we can play games with much better graphic. Is there any chance to replace standard DOSBox with DOSBox SVN Daum in Launchbox? I was trying to do it by myself, but I couldn't configure it as the one in Launchbox, there was always some problem with scaling and configuration when switching between 3dfx games and non-3dfx gemes... Here is the link to DOSBox SVN Daum: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/
Never say never right? But we need to look at all of the aspects, not just new features. Does it still have its high compatibility as before? The wide range of hardware that could be covered? Does the EULA, if it even has one, cover us being able to redistribute this with LaunchBox? Now of course, you could just insert it yourself. Download the program and just replace the current DOSBox folder hierarchy. It might take a bit of tweaking like changing the exe LaunchBox is looking for, or you could just rename the exe if the name is different to the current install and just see if it takes it. It might not be perfect but if you want to use that version of DOSBox right away, that would be your only solution for the time being. I will download it and take a look at it and see what is going on, see if we can't at least view it as an option. Edit: A quick overview... the site gives me a shady feeling lol. Also, this could be an emulator for the specific games that required 3DFX Voodoo, which might explain your scaling problems.

I don't think ther's any drifferent in reditribute than standard DOSBox 0.74, the SVN mod uses the same DOSBox as Launchbox, so they can not have bigger rights than any one else. If it can not replace standard DOSBox in Launchbox, than the solution might be adding SVN version parallel with DOSBox 0.74 for games that requires 3dfx emulation?
  • Like 1

HYRO said I don't think ther's any drifferent in reditribute than standard DOSBox 0.74, the SVN mod uses the same DOSBox as Launchbox, so they can not have bigger rights than any one else. If it can not replace standard DOSBox in Launchbox, than the solution might be adding SVN version parallel with DOSBox 0.74 for games that requires 3dfx emulation?
We were talking about it, and we are thinking to allow the user to be able to manually select if they wish an alternate version of DOSBox. Also, about redistributing, that is not always the case. Look at Linux. Even though the core of Linux says that it is Free and Open Source, there are companies out there who charge for their distro of Linux, which they can freely do and no one stops them. It doesn't neceserilly matter if you fork a project and make your own version. Now, there are versions of EULA's that say, you can fork our project to your own, but you are only able to "legally" distribute it with the same permissions and access that we do ours. I have a feeling they don't specify.
  • Like 1

So, this version of DOSBox works just fine with LB with a bit of tweaking, but its very easy. I created a copy of the current DOSBox install folder and removed the original. Renamed the DOSBox Daum version 'DOSBox' like what was originally there and it works right out of the box. The only issue I've had with DB Daum so far is that I had to turn off Aspect Correction because it was trying to put all my games in a small column window. Besides also not being able to edit the DOSBox settings in LB its fine... though to be fair, you can edit the settings once you launch DBDaum because its all there in the top bar......... so without testing other games and testing out its compatability..... Daum seems like a decent replacement. I am actually a little impressed.

• 2 weeks later...
I came here to specifically ask if custom builds of DOSBox can be specified. Good to see it has already been suggested and is under consideration! It doesn't necessarily have to be redistributed with LaunchBox - just configurable to be used externally to the LaunchBox structure (without hacks) but the user still has to install it. But if it can be bundled that's great!
  • Like 1

Simon said I came here to specifically ask if custom builds of DOSBox can be specified. Good to see it has already been suggested and is under consideration! It doesn't necessarily have to be redistributed with LaunchBox - just configurable to be used externally to the LaunchBox structure (without hacks) but the user still has to install it. But if it can be bundled that's great!
Just put your custom version in the same folder as DOSBox. Backup the DOSBox install that you have and make sure the new exe matches the same name as the default one. You will also have to edit the settings separately.

Not evryone know how to do that, that's why I've created this topic, and it is too much hassle, easier would be installing the game without Launchbox, but that's not what we expect from Launchbox, we just need this program to run games in easy way, don't we?

HYRO said Not evryone know how to do that, that's why I've created this topic, and it is too much hassle, easier would be installing the game without Launchbox, but that's not what we expect from Launchbox, we just need this program to run games in easy way, don't we?
I would argue that that is also not 'the point' of LaunchBox. It's not to make playing your games easier because its not an emulator. It's only interpreting your library and giving you a big visual of what you have. Granted, DOSBox isn't the easiest thing for most new comers to wrap their head around, and LaunchBox will help take some of that guessing out of the equation, but LB ships with a perfectly fine version of DOSBox. Therefor if you want to replace it with another version, go right ahead, but it is going to be a bit of work. For those who want to replace the versions LB ships with, they probably already know what they are doing if they are conscious enough to know that there are multiple versions of DOSBox out there that they can mess around with. For those who just want to play their games, then LaunchBox already achieves its mission statement well better than most other front ends. Regardless of which version is better to ship is now not even a question, now what you're posing is does LaunchBox achieve its goal?

I can argue with you too, if Launchbox is just only the shortcut to your game than it is just as an icon on Your desktop, so simple, it is useless... What I expect from launchbox is to launch the games in the easest way, even if they require 3dfx accelerator, it shouldn't be such a big problem for such a modern program as Launchbox. Is that not the purpose of this program to manage running of all games, no matter if it is pc game or some other?

• 1 month later...
Useless I doubt its useless LaunchBox is a great little app I cant see what the problem is the developer is implamenting new stuff so why not ask him about your problem I'm sure its user error as I have thrown all the DOS games and old cd versions and I can get them running with shader mods.

• 8 months later...
I agree that what Launchbox is doing now regarding DOSBox versions is probably enough for what it should do.. Yes, it would be great to have support for SVN builds with in-Launchbox settings edit, but that's really not that big of a deal.. What I do find a little annoying is, as I use Daum myself, is that if I have 'Check updated on launch' option enabled in Settings, it also checks for official DOSBox version against the one in .\DOSBox and notifies about a new official version.. So either you turn off update check on launch for everything or live with the repeated notifications of DOSBox update..

pjburnhill, not sure what you mean by "notifies about a new official version". The update checks don't do anything regarding DOSBox. Currently, there's no way to customize the DOSBox launch parameters outside of the DOSBox settings. I've noticed that Daum does have some different command line options than the standard DOSBox

• 4 months later...
Hi, I've been trying to make Launchbox use the Dosbox-X build (which is still being actively worked on). I've tried just replacing the file, but it just closes dosbox instantly some digging in the stderr.txt suggest's this may be because of physfs, not being supported in this build. My games will run fine with this build if I mount the drive manually and launch them entirely through dosbox, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the way launchbox launches games (through the application path). I think Launchbox is awesome software btw.

They may have changed the commands to load and play games. I know Daum works just fine for me if I put the entire package in the DOS folder, then rename the Daum exe I want to the old Dosbox exe. I have a small issue with trying to install a DOS game through LaunchBox though. Chances are we'll try and expand our support here when we can. These newer DOSBox builds are getting more and more superior compared to regular DOSBox by the week.
  • Like 1