LaunchBox Community Forums

Using Daemon Tools through Launchbox...

combstim4419

combstim4419 said I was wondering if there is a way to use Launchbox to play games that require the use of Daemon Tools such as a Sega Saturn Emulator or the use of an iso file to play a game. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Yea there was a thread about this not too long ago. https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/trouble-with-yabause-through-launch-box

Add your Saturn games as you would any other ROMs but don't set SSF as the emulator. Instead create a batch file and use that batch file as the emulator in LaunchBox. In the batch file put this:
@echo off start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount 0, %1% start /wait "" "SSF.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount 0
Change the path to DTLite.exe if it differs from what I typed above.
  • Like 1

The script will unmount the game too. You can do that with additional apps also. I use scripts because I need them to do other things too, such as xpadder, updating a web page with last played game, etc. But the killer reason for me is you have to set additional apps for every single game individually. Setting a batch as emu is soooo much quicker. Could save you hours.

Greetings Again... I am still struggling with the Sega Saturn/Launchbox dynamic... I created the batch file as bd000 instructed. However, when I attempt to launch my game (Panzer Dragoon) through the Launchbox program, two windows pop up... 1) A blank black screen with the path C:\\Windows\system32\cmd.exe 2) My Saturn emulator. However the emulator says that my door is open/drive is empty. SSF works fine outside of Launchbox... Any help would be greatly appreciated again...

Create a batch file and name it as the name of the game (how you would like it to be named in LB) e.g. "Fallout- New Vegas.bat" Paste the following code into the .bat file, changing the three paths at the top. NOTE: dtools = Path to DT iso = Path to the saved iso image gameexe = Path to the game's .exe file after installing. e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fallout- New Vegas\game.exe" (Make sure you leave the "quotes" around each path.)
@echo off set dtools="C:\PATH\TO\DT\DT.EXE" set iso="C:\PATH\TO\ISO\IMAGE.ISO" set gameexe="C:\PATH\TO\INSTALLED\GAME\EXE\FILE\GAME.EXE" start "" %dtools% -mount 0, %iso% start /wait "" %gameexe% %dtools% -unmount 0 exit
In LB go to "add game" and choose the batch file. If you have a lot of games, you can create the batch files first and put them in a directory somewhere and bulk add them to LB using the import ROMS method. Just leave the emulator part blank and name the platform as PC.

This is what worked for me with no issues. Except every time a game was mounted VLC would launch so I added a command to kill it after 2 seconds before starting SSF. Then in launch-box I just point the application location to the bat file. I was trying to get it to automount any game but it would not have it but I don't have that many Sega Saturn games so it's not that big of a deal to make a bat file for each of them for me.
@echo off "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Pro\DTAgent.exe" -mount dt, 0,"C:\HyperSpin\Emulators\Sega Saturn\ISOs\Sega Saturn Games\EUROPE\Earthworm Jim 2(EUR)\Earthworm Jim 2(EUR).nrg" timeout /t 2 taskkill /IM vlc.exe start /wait "" "SSF.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Pro\DTAgent.exe" -unmount dt, 0

You don't need to add a script for every Saturn game, THIS SCRIPT should work fine as an emulator. Regarding the VLC issue, it sounds like you have AutoPlay settings configured for software and game discs. It is an easy fix. Open an explorer window and paste Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\AutoPlay into the address bar and hit enter, or press the windows key on your keyboard and type AutoPlay. This will bring up the AutoPlay settings and VLC should be set under the "Software and games" label. Change it to "Take no Action". That should fix your VLC problem.
The autorun feature can also be used to enable a universal script for PC games (with ISO images), so you don't have to create a separate script for each game. However, it introduces a security flaw that plagued old versions of Windows for years, so I don't recommend it. However, if you are aware of the risks and feel comfortable that you can manage it, then you can use the following script set as an emulator for PC games. NOTE: * In AutoPlay Settings - Set the "Software and games" setting to "Install or run program from your media" * In LaunchBox - Import you ISO collection as ROM's and set the emulator as the script below.
@echo off set dtoolsDir="C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite" set driveLetter=V cd /d %dtoolsDir% DTLite.exe -mount %driveLetter%, %1% exit
This method will not unmount afterwards though. It is however, the easiest method and fastest to set up.
Thinking about it, I have a different approach you could take that would allow a single batch script as an emulator and it will not require you to change the AutoPlay setting. It would involve renaming your ISO images to match exactly as the games .exe file. First, you would need to rename your ISO images (to match the game.exe e.g. Bioshock2.exe Bioshock2.iso) and put all the game ISOs together in a single directory. Then use this script:
@echo off :: Edit these as required. set isoDir=PATH\TO\ISOs (no quotes) set dtoolsDir="C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite" set driveLetter=V :: Don't change anything below here. set gameExe=%1% set gameIso="%isoDir%\%%~n1.iso" cd /d %dtoolsDir% DTLite.exe -mount %driveLetter%, %gameIso% start /w "" %gameExe% DTLite.exe -unmount %driveLetter% exit
Use this batch file as an emulator for PC ISO games. This will also unmount the drive when you exit the game. To add to LB, add the game.exe file in the install folder, or use the import windows games to grab them all (remember to filter out games that do not require an ISO). Set the emulator as the script you just saved. You're done. This will make it easier to add new games. All you would have to do is install the game and add the game.exe to LB. LB will take of the rest, automatically adding the emulator (script) when you choose the platform. However, this will cause issues with any games you have that don't use an ISO but are still under the platform "PC", since LB will assume PC is an emulated platform and attempt to run the emulator (script) first. You can get around this by creating a temp platform called "PC ISO" and adding ISO games to that platform. Once they are all saved, just edit the platform and change it to PC. The emulator setting will remain intact and you won't get any conflicts with say, the games you added from Steam.

I tried the first script before from the Yabause post which is the same and it would not mount anything for me. Like I said it's not a big deal for me I only have 100 sega saturn games and scriting each game for all of them took just the afternoon. It's done and dusted, works for me with no issues. I don't feel like fighting with code for a week to get it to work properly if what I have done a few hours is working 100% fine, "for me". Thanks for the help though, please I hope you understand I do appreciate your help. You helped me out before when I could not find box art for an obscure game and you went out of your way to make one for me in Photo Shop. Thanks always for you help and everyone else. If I have a system that I have to do mounting and unmounting for many ISOs I will seek your expertise.

Ok. A little tip, with Notepad++ you can open all the scripts in one go, press ctrl+h to get to find & replace, remove the part you dont need and press the "replace in all open documents" button. This will remove the line from all the scripts in one go, then click save all. Done. Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
I've been trying to get Daemon Tools and SSF to work in Launch Box for a long time, with no success. I've carefully read this thread and multiple others, and I'm very confused about what I'm doing wrong. I've tried a .bat file with this script below: @echo off start "" "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount 0, %1% start /wait "" "SSF.exe" "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount 0 The .bat file is in the same folder with SSF.exe, and my path to DTLite.exe is correct. I set the .bat file as the emulator within Launch Box, as instructed. When I launch a Saturn game, Daemon Tools pops open, but does not mount the game's image. A few seconds later SSF will open, but won't have anything to load. Can someone please tell me why Daemon Tools isn't automounting my game's image after the .bat file opens it? Additionally, I also tried Jason's 'Additional Application' solution from above, but have the same problem - Daemon Tools opens, but won't mount the image. I do have the 'automount' option in Daemon Tools selected. I've read in a few places that the path in the .bat file should be DTLauncher, or DTAgent (instead of DTLite.exe...) but those won't work for me, either. Help??

I was messing around with the additional app setting I had it mounting the disk but not un-mounting them Daemon Tools offered me the latest version after upgrading it no longer works it seems they have changed the interface it no longer lists a drive number it just allows quick mounts. Whatever is new breaks the previous stuff so I advise anyone from upgrading that is relying on it to run your Saturn stuff. You can quick mount the iso's and then run SSF and this works but it doesn't do anything for LaunchBox. EDIT: I grabbed the older version from TPB and reinstalled it then using the additional apps method I got it working I'm using an unmount cd-rom app after the app closes using -unmount_all and it is working great.