LaunchBox Community Forums

RocketLauncher

Bil

I've been trying out RocketLauncher - http://www.rlauncher.com It could be an ideal solution for launching problematic emulators, adding ESC to close emulators, but it also has features such as a pause menu and other interesting features. The only problem is that I have been unable to use it with LaunchBox as it needs a command after "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE". The command line needed is: RocketLauncher.exe -s "System Name" -r "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE" -f "frontendpath"

I use RL and it works fine. Just don't set it up as an emulator. Under Application Path, put the path to RocketLauncher.exe Under Application Command-Line Parameters, put the other parameters The only downside is you have to set each game up individually. Which works fine for me since I don't bother trying to load thousands of games that I'll never play into LB - I just add the games I know I enjoy :) FWIW, I can't recommend RocketLauncher (new name for HyperLaunch) enough. It's basically a huge set of AutoHotkey wrappers for emulators that provide a unified experience across the board. But best of all, it lets me hit ESC to exit emulators that don't support it natively, like SNES9x :)
  • Like 1

I asked at the rlauncher forums before, and it was suggested I add the -f and -p arguments before the -s and -r arguments. I tried this in LaunchBox and it works! Smile So in LB, I have added RocketLauncher as an emulator with the command line:
-f "path\to\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "systemname" -r

Bil said I asked at the rlauncher forums before, and it was suggested I add the -f and -p arguments before the -s and -r arguments. I tried this in LaunchBox and it works! Smile So in LB, I have added RocketLauncher as an emulator with the command line:
-f "path\to\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "systemname" -r
That's good to know, thanks! So are you setting up one "emulator" for every platform with the System Name field already populated? What advantage does adding the -p RocketLauncherUI switch give?

So far I've only tried it with 3 platforms - Pinball (Future Pinball), Atomiswave (demul) and Sega Model 2 (model 2). In RL, I have added each platform with the emulators above. I'm not sure what the added benefit of -p RocketLauncherUI is, or if it's even necessary.

Interesting. RL looks/sounds really promising but I haven't really had a good initial experience. The interface was oddly and unnecessarily difficult to figure out; now that I finally have it figured out, it doesn't seem to be doing what it promises (was hoping for true no-artifact/distraction emulator startups and shutdowns). I tried Dolphin and Nestopia and they both had ugly startups and shutdowns...is that working for anyone else?

I see those too - Nestopia gives me a white box briefly, and Dolphin shows me a flash of the UI when starting up. I believe if you mess with the Fade feature you can cover all that up. I've even seen people implement loading screens with progress bars :) Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVF8HZg44GY

• 4 months later...
Hello, Gonna resurrect this thread. I am a longtime user of RocketLauncher and would love to integrate it into LaunchBox. I'm not quite sure where to start though. Do I add RocketLauncher as an individual emulator? LaunchBox doesn't seem to like it when I try to add emulators that aren't included in the default list. Thanks in advance!

You can add anything to LaunchBox I currently launch Plex, and SlingPlayer in an applications platform that I have created in LaunchBox. I usually just go to manage emulators under tools and add the .exe for the application then drag the .exe into LaunchBox add it as a ROM file and place it under my application Platform. I've also setup a comic book reader which involves adding the .exe for CDisplayEX in the emulators section adding Comics as its associated platform and then dragging and dropping .cbr/.cbz files into LB and adding them under my comics platform. There are multiple users who use LB with Rocket Launcher I'm sure some of their posts would be able to help you out.

tribe fan said Hello, Gonna resurrect this thread. I am a longtime user of RocketLauncher and would love to integrate it into LaunchBox. I'm not quite sure where to start though. Do I add RocketLauncher as an individual emulator? LaunchBox doesn't seem to like it when I try to add emulators that aren't included in the default list. Thanks in advance!
Yep, that is exactly what you do. Just follow the above directions. If you have any issues, let me know. I have RL setup for most emulators through Launchbox.

I do think Rocketlauncher and Launchbox is a match made in heaven. Rocketlauncher offers fade, bezels, pause, and decompression. If you're experiencing trouble with screen flicker etc. at launch, you have a bunch of options. The easiest fixes are to set to the emulator to launch in windowed fullscreen, set the emulator to launch the same resolution as your native desktop background, and turn on the fade. There are other settings you can tweak inside rocketlauncher that might help. I can certainly offer advice on the rocketlauncher side of things. Having said that:
AladdinSane said Yep, that is exactly what you do. Just follow the above directions. If you have any issues, let me know. I have RL setup for most emulators through Launchbox.
I'm new to launchbox. Is there any way we could make a step by step for integration? I'd even write it myself if I could get it working. Starting on the rocketlauncher side, in the UI, do you have to create another default frontend? Plugin settings? If so, do you have to re-add all your systems? I read about the command line, which got me passed one error but led to another, namely can't find systemname.xml in /databases/systemname/systemname.xml. In my case SNES, I put an xml in the rocketlauncherui/database folder, and one in launchbox/database/snes folder (spelled out, I'm lazy.) I appreciate any advice, and will help with any RL questions I can. Thanks!

Jason Carr said I'd chime in but unfortunately I'm not an expert on Rocket Launcher. I wish I was, because then I'd do a video on the whole thing and make a ton of people happy. If anyone wants to tackle that, I'd be eternally grateful and link it all over the place.
I've never made a video tutorial, but I'll certainly do a write up as soon as I have it working. SimplyAustin has a better personality and voice than I do anyway. Laugh

fromlostdays said I'm new to launchbox. Is there any way we could make a step by step for integration? I'd even write it myself if I could get it working. Starting on the rocketlauncher side, in the UI, do you have to create another default frontend? Plugin settings? If so, do you have to re-add all your systems? I read about the command line, which got me passed one error but led to another, namely can't find systemname.xml in /databases/systemname/systemname.xml. In my case SNES, I put an xml in the rocketlauncherui/database folder, and one in launchbox/database/snes folder (spelled out, I'm lazy.) I appreciate any advice, and will help with any RL questions I can. Thanks!
In RLUI, I have 2 Frontends defined, RLUI and LaunchBox. It's weird, but all the systems are setup in RLUI. When I select Launchbox as the default/active FE, the systems disappear. When I have RLUI as the default/active all the systems appear. There should be a file (Databases/Systems.xml) that will have the System Names. There will also be directories with the system names and XML inside of them. These are the XML databases of the games for the system. In Launchbox, I have RocketLauncher setup as an emulator. In the Associated Platforms, I have the systems defined again, with command lines that point to RL and pass the system name (making sure it matches everywhere). Example: Nintendo 64 is -f "C:\LaunchBox\Launchbox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "Nintendo 64" -r. This invokes RL and chooses the emulator and the parameters you have setup in RLUI for the system. I hope that helps. If you have anymore questions, please let me know.