LaunchBox Community Forums
dillonm

Import from Gamebase?

42 minutes ago, Retrofrogg said:

Another vote for Gamebase import here!

same here , gamebase is a wonderful compendium of games & media , easy import would be amazing.

22 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

Another vote for Gamebase import here!

And another one here. Would love to have an import function.

If you follow my directions it should work on each gamebase.  It was rather easy, although it would be a more official way if @Jason Carr could happen to find a way...  I didn't notice this on the 2019 vote

I'm surprised this didn't come up too; I don't recall it being mentioned during the live stream or anything, but I could be wrong. I'll keep it in mind though, at least put it on my ideas list. :)

This has been on the "list" since 2015, I recall.  But still not on the poll.

2 minutes ago, Pixel said:

This has been on the "list" since 2015, I recall.  But still not on the poll.

What went on the poll was sourced from the community during a live stream. The poll had the top 40 requested features on it, so the fact that this didn't even make that list shows how many people actually want this. You may have to just accept that the people requesting this are a very vocal, but small minority of the overall community.

9 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

What went on the poll was sourced from the community during a live stream. The poll had the top 40 requested features on it, so the fact that this didn't even make that list shows how many people actually want this. You may have to just accept that the people requesting this are a very vocal, but small minority of the overall community.

Not everyone can catch a livestream etc. Not everyone can be present etc. For instance, I wasn't. Some people could not remember it that day etc. There are many things to do. But Gamebase is a huge, if not the biggest database for some systems like C64 and others. So it's worth it. Only C64 counts almost 27,000 entries.

And it even includes such a detalied info as the length (blocks) etc.

http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=8615&h=0

Edited by Pixel

To be honest, if we put it on the poll, history tells me that it would not be highly voted. Most people would look at it and go "what's GameBase?" and then ignore it, as that's how items like this typically go. That said, I do see the value in the feature, so hopefully we can add it in eventually.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 9/25/2019 at 6:32 PM, Jason Carr said:

To be honest, if we put it on the poll, history tells me that it would not be highly voted. Most people would look at it and go "what's GameBase?" and then ignore it, as that's how items like this typically go. That said, I do see the value in the feature, so hopefully we can add it in eventually.

If they ask it, then you will tell them that it is an older version of LB :)

But many PC users who are interested in retro games know what it is.

It's like saying that few people know what is RocketLauncher, so let's not bother with it etc.

I do not need Gamebase anymore because I managed to import it over the years. I had to use paid apps to do that. Obviously, the  GEMUS scripts won't work, but I used the database at least.

Edited by Pixel

7 hours ago, Pixel said:

If they ask it, then you will tell them that it is an older version of LB :)

But many PC users who are interested in retro games know what it is.

It's like saying that few people know what is RocketLauncher, so let's not bother with it etc.

I do not need Gamebase anymore because I managed to import it over the years. I had to use paid apps to do that. Obviously, the  GEMUS scripts won't work, but I used the database at least.

So purely out of curiosity how did you do that and what apps did you use for it?

Posted (edited)
On 10/1/2019 at 2:28 PM, Quaros said:

So purely out of curiosity how did you do that and what apps did you use for it?

I put a lot of time into this. It depends how you want to do it. I found two ways:

Let's take C64 as an example.

You can use a good external webpage scraper. But this can be very expensive.

Second way: You can export gamebase database to a txt file. Then, copy this to excel.

I bought excel plugin/tools to make things faster and efficient (and less of a nightmare chore). Then, did a lot of fuzzy matching because the names won't always agree.

To do this, you need to know the basic LB xml structure;  how to import/export xml files with MS Excel. It won't accept LB xml structure, like custom fields and additional apps. So you have to do them seperately. Then, stick them together in Notepad++ etc. In short, a lot of chore if you want to import thousands of games and thousands of additional apps etc. With large database, you need to use 64-bit excel because you will run out of memory, and it will simply crash :)

If you match things together, it is easy to re-name the rom files.

I used both methods. I even scraped Mobygames database etc.

Keep in mind that I know nothing about programming. Programmers will find their own ways.

Edited by Pixel

Ok so I liked Gamebase because it was a good list of files, All the games I remember were on it.  Most of the other lists didn't include a couple of games I remembered.  So all I really wanted it for, was the games.  However the naming makes no sense, so if you look back at page 2, I developed a little script to rename the files to something both I and launchbox likes.  Launchbox still has its issues with some of the games, but....