LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega Dreamcast core of RetroArch not working with Launchbox

Adik

There is a new core of RetroArch named Reicast. It's a Sega Dreamcast core. But the problem is I can't seem to attach it with Launchbox. In RetroArch by going to load content and selecting the game, It runs perfectly. So in Launchbox I went to, Manage Emulators- RetroArch- Associated Platforms- added an Associated Platform named Sega Dreamcast and in the Default Command-line Parameters box I added -L "cores eicast_libretro.dll" And selected my game (which is Mortal Kombat Gold) to run with RetroArch. But when I try to start the game, RetroArch launches and immediately it crashes. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone please help me with this? I really want to enjoy playing Dreamcast :D

So the full command line is -L "cores eicast_libretro.dll" for anyone curious. Make sure in the side bar it does say Sega Dreamcast and the associated platform is Sega Dreamcast (yes they need to match). You do need Dreamcast BIOS in your system folder. In the system folder create another folder labeled DC, in there goes it's BIOS files. There are 2 of them and they are common. Even then, don't expect it to work great, compatibility is very low.

Ok I'm curious is this (-L "cores eicast_libretro.dll") a typo and it should be reicast_libretro.dill or is it some weird naming where they aren't using the full name. Also when I tried to use the standalone version for Windows all it would do was crash when I tried to load any game.

No .dll's are a thing. They're Dynamic Link Libraries in Windows. -L denotes loading a core then "cores\" is obviously the folder, then reicast_libretro.dll is the name of the core. -L "cores eicast_libretro.dll". I did get Bangai-O to launch, and if you have everything correct it'd be setup like mine. I was going to do a tutorial on this this Friday instead of Sega Saturn, but there is a reason I didn't do it. This is more difficult to deal with than Saturn, and Saturn was a pain in my ass. They're both severely under developed. Reicast has active development though, so in time these issues can be figured out. I hit ok after it asks for the time, and either some load the game or some go to the menu. After re-reading up, it looks like the forums don't like cores\ reicast_libretro all in one line.

SentaiBrad said https://i.imgur.com/mSIpA0U.png That is the line, apparently inputting it in on the forums trips some sort of command... wtf. xD
I have the same line in Launchbox but my games are not working. I but I don't have the ( -c...... ) command. What does it mean?

That is for loading custom configs, but it's not required. I do go over that this Friday. I can't really give you guys links on the forums, but "RetroArch BIOS" is a thing... ;) That might help solve the problem because the BIOS also do need to be the correct version or not corrupt. Otherwise if if you have the core downloaded, it is set under Associated Cores, The name in Associated Cores is also the same in the first column as it is on the left pane, all of your Dreamcast games have RA selected as the emulator (select DC on the left, ctrl + a to highlight all your games then edit a game), then it should all be set. The only other thing might be that BIOS are off, but even still it could all just boil down to its broken.

• 2 months later...
I am also having the same problem.... I can launch the games directly through retroarch but when I select a game through launchbox it will load reicast into the add date and time page ... which is not saving...but not the rom itself. I have added the platform by editing the retroarch emulator in the manage emulators page .. adding the platform Seag Dreamcast and -L "cores eicast_libretro.dll" into the command line parameters. I then went and selected all games and made sure that the emulator for all games is retroarch... am I missing something?

Adik said I finally found a solve !!!! The problem was the "Threaded Video" option in RetroArch. When I disabled the option, everything worked perfectly :D Thank you all for help :D
Threaded Video should always be disabled unless absolutely necessary to get a core to run games at an acceptable speed

lordmonkus said
Adik said I finally found a solve !!!! The problem was the "Threaded Video" option in RetroArch. When I disabled the option, everything worked perfectly :D Thank you all for help :D
Threaded Video should always be disabled unless absolutely necessary to get a core to run games at an acceptable speed
I will check once I am off work... dumb mistake if it is spelled wrong

DOS76 said I don't know if it is a typo or not but you are missing an r in reicast in what is showing in your post if that is missing from the command line that would definitely cause the issue.
checked it is correct in launchbox ... it was a typo in post......

• 9 months later...
On 1/12/2016 at 11:09 AM, SentaiBrad said:

So the full command line is -L "cores eicast_libretro.dll" for anyone curious. Make sure in the side bar it does say Sega Dreamcast and the associated platform is Sega Dreamcast (yes they need to match). You do need Dreamcast BIOS in your system folder. In the system folder create another folder labeled DC, in there goes it's BIOS files. There are 2 of them and they are common. Even then, don't expect it to work great, compatibility is very low.

Where can i go to fix the capability for dreamcast.it it play very slow