LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch controller setup...

nathanddrews

With great thanks to Jason and his excellent tutorial, I have been able to setup NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, NeoGeo, CPS1, CPS2, and MAME cores using RetroArch, but I'm very confused by the controller setup as I configure each core. Currently I am using Xbox 360 USB controllers, but will eventually be using custom-built arcade sticks and buttons. The automatic setup (User X Bind All) for each controller for every core prompts me to press every single input on the controller even though games like the NES only use the D-pad, Start, Select, B, and A. Every other emulator I've used only prompts for inputs that the console can recognize - in this case, eight inputs. Normally for NES emulation using a 360 controller, I do this: D-pad = D-pad Back = Select Start = Start X = B A = A Any thoughts?

Yeah, unfortunately Retroarch is annoying like that. It tries to allow you to configure your controls once and then guesses at how you'd like things configured for each platform automatically. Unfortunately though that never gives me enough control, so I end up having to re-configure it for each platform, and sometimes it's guesswork for what will ultimately be used in-game. It's annoying to say the least. But thankfully a little bit of trial and error isn't a big deal because you only have to do it once on a per-platform basis. Where it gets to *really* be a pain is when it comes to key mapping (instead of controller mapping). Most arcade controllers emulate keyboard keys instead of acting as a true controller, so the only way I've figured out how to do it is directly in the config files. That took me forever for my game cabinet, and I'm still tweaking them.

Jason Carr said Most arcade controllers emulate keyboard keys instead of acting as a true controller, so the only way I've figured out how to do it is directly in the config files. That took me forever for my game cabinet, and I'm still tweaking them.
As I understand it, by using the Ultimarc UltraStik 360, you connect up to 8 buttons directly to it within the control panel, then it connects directly using USB and is recognized as a standard controller.

garbanzo said You can create controller remap files and load them when you launch games. It takes some work and it's not really well documented, but I did manage to get it working. Take a look at the help files or online.
Will do. I find that I screw up quite frequently due to the way RetroPad assigns ABXY (SNES style) compared to the 360 controller. I think I'm going to remove all my controller profiles and just stick the to default for now. The trickiest one is MAME, which likes to reset the game or run diagnostics when you bump the triggers or press the thumbsticks down... not ideal. So I'll put my energy into getting those controls more refined.

I upgraded to Win 10 yesterday and after reinstalling RetroArch nothing is working agian. I've been messing with it for hours and it's driving me nuts. I use original controllers for each core. For four-button controllers (SNES style) things work OK, but switching to NES messes everything up, and I can't remember how I set controller remapping configs. Ugh.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to necro my own thread, but I'm going to lose my mind if Retroarch keeps messing with me. I made the mistake of replacing my Xbox 360 controller with a new 16-button controller and RA exploded and wants to eat my soul. The new controller is amazing in the limited testing I've had with it, but the retropad configuration won't let me utilize it properly. There also seems to be some issue with the config files for each core saving with the wrong core somehow and all controls just get worse every time I try to fix it. LOL I'm losing the battle.

How does one create separate config files for each controller and core that load appropriately and don't get overwritten?

12 hours ago, nathanddrews said:

Sorry to necro my own thread, but I'm going to lose my mind if Retroarch keeps messing with me. I made the mistake of replacing my Xbox 360 controller with a new 16-button controller and RA exploded and wants to eat my soul. The new controller is amazing in the limited testing I've had with it, but the retropad configuration won't let me utilize it properly. There also seems to be some issue with the config files for each core saving with the wrong core somehow and all controls just get worse every time I try to fix it. LOL I'm losing the battle.

How does one create separate config files for each controller and core that load appropriately and don't get overwritten?

To set controls per core you will need to load the core with a game, then go to the quick menu with the guide button or f1 on the keyboard. Then scroll down to controls and set your controls how you like them, then scroll up to save core remap file. This will save controls for that core only and auto load when you start that core in future.

Hope that helps, here are some screenshots. 

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (13).png

Screenshot (14).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm also having problems setting up my Xbox One controller. It works great for NES, SNES, Genesis emulators in Retroarch... But some of the buttons don't work right when using Mame. I'm using Mame 2016 in Retroarch... I've also tried Mame 2014 with the same results. For some reason left trigger is always TAB, right trigger is F11, L3 is F2, and R3 is F3. Yeah, I could map these buttons to something else, but then I'd lose the ability to hit the TAB button to bring up the Mame menu. Any ideas on how to fix this? 

Thanks @neil9000 I had totally forgotten to remap controls via the Quick Menu instead of the primary input menu, so that explains the control remapping issues I was having.

OK so  the second part of my issue comes down to this new controller that I bought. http://a.co/bz1Vdy7

It has 16 buttons - most importantly it has SIX face buttons instead of the four that the RA Retropad abstraction layer is designed for. The simple reason that I bought this was to emulate every controller - one-size fits all, basically. A big part of emulation for me is muscle memory. I really struggle to play N64 games and Genesis games with only four face buttons and two buttons mapped to triggers/bumpers, I just can't do it. The same is true with many arcade fighting games.  With this controller I can - theoretically:

Genesis
X-Y-Z
A-B-C

N64
B-CL-CU
A-CD-CR

I have successfully remapped the RA core GenesisPlusGX into having the proper 6-button layout, so now I can kick major butt in Streets of Rage 3 using combos. It still required a 2-step abstraction conversion to get the L3/L2 buttons to the Z/C positions.

The N64 configuration in RA (GlupeN64 and MupeN64) on the other hand wants to combine C-buttons and one of the analog sticks and does not work well with this controller. Either that or my small brain can't process the two abstraction layers to get it working right. If I use a standalone N64 emulator outside of RA, then I can just map buttons by pressing buttons and everything works as expected, but then I lose out on many of the RA core options for display and audio settings. Why doesn't RA have a auto-config method that prompts you to select each button relative to the NATIVE controller instead of the Retropad? 

51UrnyxnmqL._SL1000_.jpg

16 minutes ago, nathanddrews said:

Thanks @neil9000 I had totally forgotten to remap controls via the Quick Menu instead of the primary input menu, so that explains the control remapping issues I was having.

OK so  the second part of my issue comes down to this new controller that I bought. http://a.co/bz1Vdy7

It has 16 buttons - most importantly it has SIX face buttons instead of the four that the RA Retropad abstraction layer is designed for. The simple reason that I bought this was to emulate every controller - one-size fits all, basically. A big part of emulation for me is muscle memory. I really struggle to play N64 games and Genesis games with only four face buttons and two buttons mapped to triggers/bumpers, I just can't do it. The same is true with many arcade fighting games.  With this controller I can - theoretically:

Genesis
X-Y-Z
A-B-C

N64
B-CL-CU
A-CD-CR

I have successfully remapped the RA core GenesisPlusGX into having the proper 6-button layout, so now I can kick major butt in Streets of Rage 3 using combos. It still required a 2-step abstraction conversion to get the L3/L2 buttons to the Z/C positions.

The N64 configuration in RA (GlupeN64 and MupeN64) on the other hand wants to combine C-buttons and one of the analog sticks and does not work well with this controller. Either that or my small brain can't process the two abstraction layers to get it working right. If I use a standalone N64 emulator outside of RA, then I can just map buttons by pressing buttons and everything works as expected, but then I lose out on many of the RA core options for display and audio settings. Why doesn't RA have a auto-config method that prompts you to select each button relative to the NATIVE controller instead of the Retropad? 

51UrnyxnmqL._SL1000_.jpg

Now that's a tricky one, I have just looked at retroarch and yes c buttons are mapped to right stick by default or on the four face buttons via another button to toggle. I don't see any way to remap the c buttons without also still having to use the toggle button as well. Shame really. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Now that's a tricky one, I have just looked at retroarch and yes c buttons are mapped to right stick by default or on the four face buttons via another button to toggle. I don't see any way to remap the c buttons without also still having to use the toggle button as well. Shame really. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thanks all the same. It's been my biggest RA peeve for a while. If the toggle option worked as (I) expected, then it would be perfect. Alternate between REAL C-button mappings and Right Analog mappings.

12 minutes ago, nathanddrews said:

Thanks all the same. It's been my biggest RA peeve for a while. If the toggle option worked as (I) expected, then it would be perfect. Alternate between REAL C-button mappings and Right Analog mappings.

Was just thinking, may or may not work. you could try the general joypad setup without a core loaded, and run through the prompts and when it asks for up, down, left, and right on the right stick try using the four buttons instead.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rorbfree said:

I'm having getting my trackball working in any ROMs. Tried setup in mame ini file but just can't figure it out. Any help, is appreciated.

I'm sorry, I don't have experience setting up a trackball for emulation, you'll probably want to make a new thread specifically for it.

18 hours ago, Rorbfree said:

I'm having getting my trackball working in any ROMs. Tried setup in mame ini file but just can't figure it out. Any help, is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try this thread.

If its not already covered just ask there and I'm sure someone will help you.

• Like 1

So I updated to RA 1.4.1 and started over setting up controllers and other settings. I have been pretty successful in setting up this 6-button controller for use in my games so far - except for N64 as previously discussed. I'll have to update my feelings about this controller once I get N64 emulation working well. NES, SNES, Genesis, NeoGeo, CPS all great so far. I made a video about my experiences so far if you want to check it out:

• Like 1