LaunchBox Community Forums

GUI Navigation is slow (normal mode)

Imgema

Performance seems to be the same to me but I would like to see better performance when in normal mode (not BigBox), especially if in list view without pictures.

Now it's not that performance is terrible, I don't mind the 3 or 4 second delay in switching platforms but it would be nice if it was just a little snappier.

Performance peaked at version 6.6. After that it got progressively worse.

And now i wonder if i could find that version instead. I don't remember any features that were useful to me in newer versions so i could just stick to that, at least until advanced search options is implemented.

Edited by Imgema

Same issue for me @Imgema. I know they will squash this problem! 

I think its a tough one to make fast and still look awesome, since there can be so many games in one platform with art/video/metadata.

I still have some experimenting that I want to do to improve performance on my system.

On September 17, 2016 at 3:25 PM, lordmonkus said:

Performance seems to be the same to me but I would like to see better performance when in normal mode (not BigBox), especially if in list view without pictures.

Now it's not that performance is terrible, I don't mind the 3 or 4 second delay in switching platforms but it would be nice if it was just a little snappier.

it's still slow in list view?? i was thinking that would chop of the time to switch platforms significantly (i was gonna try that but haven't yet). hmm, so that kind of makes me think the performance is mostly because of the xml file, which seems like a much easier fix!  hmm.

Here is what Jason said over in the beta discussion thread:

"Just put out a new beta; I focused primarily on performance in LaunchBox when switching between platforms. I improved the rendering, caching, and data population routines all to be more performant. It was actually the rendering/painting operations that were causing the biggest amounts of lag when switching between filters and repopulating the boxes. The single biggest performance gain came from caching the rendered text that is displayed below the games.

The caching routines have been significantly cleaned up and also simplified. Previously LaunchBox would cache images in the background, but this was causing quite a bit of confusion ("Why is LaunchBox using so much CPU usage!?") as well as hurting the performance elsewhere a tad. In this beta, images will only be cached once they've been scrolled to. However, we now do a much better job of refreshing the images that are actually displayed on the screen first, so I don't think this will be much of an issue. That said, leaving LaunchBox overnight will no longer automatically cache all of the images. We may add that back in based on the feedback from these betas."

Basically he separated the xml into smaller ones and changed the rendering. So far I have not run into any problems with the latest beta.

• Like 1

Helloooooooooooooooooooo performance GOODNESS!!

6.9 release switch any platform = 9.43 seconds

6.10 beta 2 switch any platform = 2.75 seconds!!!!!!

scrolling the games seems totally fine as well.

This version is a KEEPER!!!

Woohoo!!!!!

Don't stop there though...keep optimizing :)

• Like 1

Added bonus: opening Manage Platforms and then clicking the Close button no longer give LB a fit of freezing up and hanging for several seconds. Now there is no fit and only takes maybe 1 or 2 seconds!! Gotta try Bigbox options and back to platform list now...

The Launchbox.exe process now exits almost instantly after closing the app window now! It used to take MANY seconds to exit. Another win!

Ok the Bigbox navigation from Options area and back to platforms list still hangs for several seconds. Ok, can't win 'em all!

Yeah there is a definite improvement with the beta.

Time it takes to browse through systems is a little less than 2 seconds for me now.

Any chances the stable version reaching version's 6.4 to 6.6 performance? With these versions it was a joy to browse through your collection because it took less than a second per selection.

If not, it's ok. "less than 2 seconds" is an acceptable speed (as long as it doesn't slow down again in the future :P )

Edit: Holy crap at those 9.43 seconds ckp! (how did you even measure it with such precision?). For me the program would be completely unusable this way. In what system you run it?

Edited by Imgema

Hi @Imgema, to be honest I'm doubtful that the speed differences you were seeing previously with the 6.4 and 6.6 versions had anything to do with code differences; most likely they had to do with the size of your collection. So I'm doubtful that going back to 6.4 or 6.6 would speed things up, and for that reason I don't think we're going to get it a whole lot quicker for 6.10.

Thanks @ckp. You're actually only a couple hours away from me (I'm in Modesto). I'll let you know if I ever head to that area. :)