LaunchBox Community Forums

How to update your MAME ROMset to a newer version with CLRmamepro

SentaiBrad

• 2 weeks later...

I really new to this and need more tutorials any one no of  any .im sure I haven't got it right in my head.i have downloaded mame 0.161 rom set  and all 20 update packs .i point clrmamepro to rom set them  point at each updat pack .keep doing this till the mame roms update to 0.181 .im totally wrong arnt I.im finding it really hard to understand what to do .

Edited by CALLSTANLEY247
Missed words

Thanks cid  I'm had rom set 0.153 And could never get arcade stuff to work.so I downloaded full rom set 0.161 last night .then downloaded all the 20 update packs to 0.181 .renamed the mame set 0.153 as backup placed the new 0.161 set in new folder within roms.downloaded the emulator to run 0.181 .hopeing I have done this part right

i then moved onto clrmamepro and pressed create profile directly ,file name was my mame 0.161 roms.description mame 0.162,emulator mame.one I do this do I just keep going through 0.163,0.164,etc etc .

i need a video step by step I work ten times better visilly learning than reading .any help would be great cid

graham 

On 10/3/2016 at 1:49 PM, lordmonkus said:

I bit the bullet today and decided to try and use clrmamepro to update my 177 rom set to 178 because apparently now the Capcom CPS2 roms requires a .key file. I have tried to use clrmamepro in the past but just gave up because it is such a pain in the ass.

CriticalCid has a great and in depth tutorial here and really is awesome but if you are newer to the whole thing and want a simpler and easier to follow tutorial I recommend giving this one a try

http://www.cphsolutions.f2s.com/guides/cmprotutorial.htm

It's done in a step by step video which pauses itself til you are ready for the next step. I followed this and it worked out perfectly.

Thanks, I'm trying this now to update 180 to 182...

EDIT: Cool, it worked. Have a full 182 set now.  The link @lordmonkus gave to the step by step video did the trick.

Edited by ckp

Great info - I got into just downloading the full romsets probably 4 years ago, especially for MAME.  I simply would download the update romsets, then drag and drop the new .zip contents into my complete rom folder...  Since I play roms rather sporadically, I never realized this was completely wrong and I was overwriting the .zip files rather than adding/replacing content inside of the .zip files.  I had assumed that the updates were including all original files in the .zips, but this is definitely not the case.  I never took the time to figure out why some games, especially a lot of the CPS1 and CPS2 games would not work properly, or at all after performing an 'update' this way. 

I simply would use a different emulator for CPS1, CPS2 and NEOGEO roms, and use a separate rom folder for those platforms. 

Now I'm currently downloading all the MAME romsets again, especially since I'm migrating all ROM management over to launchbox/bigbox. 

Process works perfectly! Well written and detailed!

Edited by mbrogz3000

• 2 months later...

If you don't have your games in the MAME ROMs folder then ClrMPro will have all types of issues I get errors for missing chd's even if I don't select the CHD part and if I do select the CHD part it tries to move all my CHD files into the ROMs folder when I don't let it it reports all my CHD's as missing if you don't have the files where the program wants them it may not be worth using.

5 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

If you don't have your games in the MAME ROMs folder then ClrMPro will have all types of issues I get errors for missing chd's even if I don't select the CHD part and if I do select the CHD part it tries to move all my CHD files into the ROMs folder when I don't let it it reports all my CHD's as missing if you don't have the files where the program wants them it may not be worth using.

Cheers @DOS76, I think I solved it, in the system tab where cid said to click on all, then auto populate there was a load of bios and a load of SOFT I unchecked all the SOFT and just checked all the BIOS boxes and it seems to be doing its thing now, so we will see.

Quick question.

1st. Thanks to CriticalCid for this writeup. Easy to follow and without issue.

2nd. After I updated 0.182 to 0.183, do I need to keep the 0.182 to 0.183 update pack in the add-rom section or remove it and add the 0.183 to 0.184 rom set when I finally retrieve it?

From what I read, I can keep all the update packs in here and add new (Add-Patch) to new sets when I need to correct?