LaunchBox Community Forums

How to update your MAME ROMset to a newer version with CLRmamepro

SentaiBrad

21 minutes ago, Tatts4Life said:

I have 204 non-merged and I see that 206 is out now. I went looking for the 205 update pack and it says that the download link is disabled on PD. Do I need that or can I skip it and get the 206 update?

You will need it, 0.206 will only contain the changes from 0.205 to 0.206, not any changes that were made from 0.204 to 0.205.

Just now, Tatts4Life said:

CRAP! I guess I'll just download 206 and then make sure I keep up to date with the rest of the updates.

Yeah, you really only have two options with MAME.

• 1. Get a set and stick with it by not updating the romset or emulator version.
  • Or.
  • 2. Update every month and keep on top of it and update the emulator every month as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 7:15 AM, Tatts4Life said:

I have 204 non-merged and I see that 206 is out now. I went looking for the 205 update pack and it says that the download link is disabled on PD. Do I need that or can I skip it and get the 206 update?

You don't need any update packs if you're not using a rom manager.

Just point the 206 full torrent to your 204 set and your client will hash check and simply download what you're missing.

The overall data is mostly the same. The roms themselves don't change much these days.

Edited by Replay

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, WithXtraCheez said:

Anyone ever get this error in CLRMAMEPRO when trying to scan? I'm just not too sure on exactly what it's asking that I have to make all of these in subfolders with individual paths?

2 questions: 1) did you import directly from the mame.exe or are using using a dat file you downloaded, and 2) Are you using MAME software lists?

When you import directly from MAME it should ask if you want to use softwre lists, For most people this is probably no. When you choose that, that error should disappear unless you've changed default settings in ClrMamePro.

• Like 1

I'm such a noob at using CLRMAMEPRO; that's exactly what it was; I was selecting yes! I wasn't too sure as I updated Mame Roms all the way up until .212 and this is by far the biggest set I've ever seen. Now trying to get it all to work correctly... wish me luck! I'm hoping that the Bezel project does some updates for the other systems soon as I'm totally digging these gnarly bezels. 

In general terms, I think too many users try to maintain a full MAME set, when a smaller subset is usually enough. Once you have pruned your set down, it's really easy to maintain and update with ClrMamePro. (Though you'll find the most popular roms don't often change much, if at all.)

I'm a big fan of the Bezel Project bezels as well, but you have to be careful as they will overwrite some of the regular MAME artwork that have advanced features like color overlays, lighted bezel elements based on game elements etc. 

34 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

In general terms, I think too many users try to maintain a full MAME set, when a smaller subset is usually enough. Once you have pruned your set down, it's really easy to maintain and update with ClrMamePro. (Though you'll find the most popular roms don't often change much, if at all.)

I'm a big fan of the Bezel Project bezels as well, but you have to be careful as they will overwrite some of the regular MAME artwork that have advanced features like color overlays, lighted bezel elements based on game elements etc. 

Hey, which regular MAME bezels are you referring to? Got a link?

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2016 at 12:24 AM, CriticalCid said:

I hope this tutorial was understandable and useful for some of you. If you have questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for this tutorial, I've update my MAME version from 0.213 to 0.214.

I do have a question related to this, maybe you can help.

I have a merged set, but I want to convert it to a non-merged set.

Can you tell me if I'm on the right track with the following steps ?

Step 1
The same as tutorial

Step 2
12 - not adding the update path ?

Step 3
The same as tutorial ?

Step 4
25 - Don't Check the box “Use Add-Paths”
26 - I don't know
27 - choose non-merged set
28 -> 37 The same as tutorial

Thanks in advance.

The easiest way to convert a full ROMset like that is by using the Merger.

You can find it in the menu between the Rebuilder and the Settings. Just choose the merging type you want and let it work. Once it's finished you should also run the Scanner to make sure that everything is fine and tidy.

10 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

The easiest way to convert a full ROMset like that is by using the Merger.

You can find it in the menu between the Rebuilder and the Settings. Just choose the merging type you want and let it work. Once it's finished you should also run the Scanner to make sure that everything is fine and tidy.

I didn't notice that option, I used the rebuilder and it's currently busy at 4%. Should I stop the process and use the Merger instead ?

Will the Merger work faster maybe ? ?

Maybe it produces a different/better result ?

Thanks for the info.

Edited by Soxbrother

Just now, CriticalCid said:

The result should be exactly the same.

I’m not sure if the Merger is faster or not but when you have the Rebuilder already running I would just stay with it and don’t stop it.

Ok. Thanks for the info.

The 1st procent took about 17min.

Seems like it's going to take a while, LOL

Is it normal that there are a lot of skipped files ?

On 10/5/2019 at 12:14 PM, CriticalCid said:

Yes, that’s normal. You should also run the Scanner over the rebuilt set once it’s finished.

Be aware that rebuilding a complete MAME set can take a few hours.

I'll certainly do that.

So it will take approx. 28,3 hours LOL

(17min x 100 = 1700min : 60 = 28,3333)

Update : It worked, it was finished Sunday evening, yesterday I've made a new scan and everything was well.

Edited by Soxbrother

• 5 months later...

Is there any site that details the list of games added with each new ROMset version?  I'm not sure which version I have, so I imagine the only way to verify would be to check for the newest games I have and compare to that list (if it exists anywhere).

23 hours ago, drw4013 said:

Is there any site that details the list of games added with each new ROMset version?  I'm not sure which version I have, so I imagine the only way to verify would be to check for the newest games I have and compare to that list (if it exists anywhere).

You could check the wahtsnew.txt file of each release here:

https://www.mamedev.org/releases/whatsnew_0219.txt

Just replace the version number in the URL with the one you want to check. For example 0218.txt instead of 0219.txt.

With that said, this could be very tedious and I would rather advice you to just grab the newest set on pleasuredome and keep better track of your version next time.

55 minutes ago, Pixelpiper said:

Is it possible (probable anyway) that the broken image links on the OP may be fixed?  This is a great resource and would be so much better if the original images were still showing up.

I'm starting with a merged .219 set minus CHD so there's nothing yet to update today, but I'd like to expand out to unmerged and then do some cleanup and NEO GEO sequestering.

I plan to rework this tutorial soon-ish as I wrote it a long time ago and I now know a lot more about clrmamepro and what it can do. Of course I’ll add new screenshots in the process.

• Game On 1