LaunchBox Community Forums
SentaiBrad

How to update your MAME ROMset to a newer version with CLRmamepro

23 hours ago, drw4013 said:

Is there any site that details the list of games added with each new ROMset version?  I'm not sure which version I have, so I imagine the only way to verify would be to check for the newest games I have and compare to that list (if it exists anywhere).

You could check the wahtsnew.txt file of each release here:

https://www.mamedev.org/releases/whatsnew_0219.txt

Just replace the version number in the URL with the one you want to check. For example 0218.txt instead of 0219.txt.

With that said, this could be very tedious and I would rather advice you to just grab the newest set on pleasuredome and keep better track of your version next time.

55 minutes ago, Pixelpiper said:

Is it possible (probable anyway) that the broken image links on the OP may be fixed?  This is a great resource and would be so much better if the original images were still showing up.

I'm starting with a merged .219 set minus CHD so there's nothing yet to update today, but I'd like to expand out to unmerged and then do some cleanup and NEO GEO sequestering.

I plan to rework this tutorial soon-ish as I wrote it a long time ago and I now know a lot more about clrmamepro and what it can do. Of course I’ll add new screenshots in the process.

• Game On 1

Posted (edited)

I just ran into two issues with my .219 MERGED set and CMP that might be worth noting for the future. Apologies if it's come up here before, but google results didn't bring anything up.

The issue presented as an endless run of errors about wrong names and missing roms fixable and presumably non-fixable. This was on almost every title zip.

The solution I'm trying right now (and tested successfully on 10 titles in isolation) was found here:

https://www.emulab.it/forum/index.php?topic=4152.0

According to the posts above,  "Most likely a difference in profiler->options->parse rom 'merge' tags. One installation got it enabled, one disabled"

I had to disable that check-box.

Then this other thread: https://www.emulab.it/forum/index.php?topic=4070.0

Where someone has a similar issue of "missing" roms. This is explained as "The sets you've downloaded are in "hash collision name" full merge mode....This means someone used the settings option of the same name to organize the full merged sets. It means that ALL clones are in subfolders within the parent set."

I turned ON the hash collision mode option in settings and together with the other change it seems to progress through scanning and fixing.  In my 10 set test, a rescan after the fixing found no issues and I was then able to change the files to UNMERGED - and can probably change them to SPLIT.

Long while to go before it finishes the full .219 set, so we'll see how it ends. This is mainly an exercise to see/learn about clrmamepro and MAME rom sets in general. I'm not sure it's a good path going forward because frankly it looks like one will have to manually grab any new/updated sets in the future one by one for fixing and rebuilding. Everyone must be doing full sets now, because I can't find "fix" sets easily. It would probably take more time to do the fixing given this, than to just grab a new full set and then run a batch copy/move for a sub-set (killer, favorites, etc..)

Edited by Pixelpiper

As an alternative to using CMP I really would suggest TorrentCheck

http://wiki.pleasuredome.org.uk/index.php/TorrentCheck

image.thumb.png.0323957b667e5f0196c29d8d905040ec.png

I run this every month with the same boxes in the image except I also do delete wrong size files (it doesn't actually delete anything moves it to backup folder) then I simply download the new version of the MAME torrent to the same folder my ROMs are in. It checks the torrent finds all the data that is already present and then downloads the rest then I run TorrentCheck again when its over and verify that everything is present and correct. As a caveat though because I'm also doing this for CHD Software Lists and Software Lists CHDs I have a little different work flow for those. If you don't update anything except the arcade ROMs you don't have to continue reading from this point. If you do CHDs this is my work flow for them. Due to the nature of CHD updates it usually only a few files so I download them to a path like Updates\CHD and when I start the torrent I only download the missing and wrong size files not the rest of the torrent if you use QBittorrent to download its important not to down load it to your existing folder because it will move the files you don't want to download into a unwanted folder which is not what you want to happen. After the download is finished I copy the files into my CHD folder. For SWL and SWL CHDs my workflow is similar to the CHDs except instead of going through all the files in the torrent and only downloading the files I need I get the whole system folder for any systems that come up in the check document due to how long it would take to do it the other way but the rest of the process is the same using Updates\SWL and Updates\SWLCHDs. I find this to be much more simple than CMP and just want to offer it as an alternative to the other method.

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

Posted (edited)

After finishing up with CMPro my mind is cemented that it's not the right way to go as I suspected at the end of my last post.  Thanks for the very specific suggestions DOS76, I think I'll end up with the same workflow for keeping up to date.

My plan is to keep the "master collection" and a backup on my server which will get the regular updates as you've outlined. Then on the play system only copy over a sub-set whenever I feel like it, at the same time making sure a matching core is ready to go.

I'd like to have a few CHDs, but ideally not the entire 480+GB set, even if I'm only ever updating diffs. But we'll see, because if it's a lot easier to automate while keeping them all, then the extra wasted storage space is worth it. The less manual input into this whole process the better.

I previously hadn't touched MAME in about 20 years, so this is a lot of condensed learning and research in what's only been a few days so far. :) I still have no idea what their Software Lists are for.

Edited by Pixelpiper

MAME some time ago incorporated MESS into it merging the projects the Software List and Software List CHDs are for those console systems where the SWL covers cart tape and flpppy based games ie NES, C64 the SWL CHD's are disc based systems ie Playstation, Sega CD.

I'm looking to update my mame roms from .207 to .218.  I have no problem downloading the full sets and I'd prefer to not download each incremental set from .208 through .218.  Going through the update process 10 times sounds like a pita.  Can I just copy everything (roms, chd, software list, etc) from the full .218 download to my mame folder or will that cause issues?

You wouldn’t need to do the process 10 times, just add all update packs as Add-Paths and you’re good.

As for your question: Yes, you could just copy everything to your MAME folder assuming your old and new set were built with the same merge mode (for example, when both sets are split sets). The cleanest way would be to delete your old sets first but if you just copy the new set over it and replace all old files you shouldn’t get any problems either way. In case the merge modes of your sets differ or if you’re not sure what kind of sets you have I would always delete your old stuff first, just to be safe.

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2020 at 8:27 AM, DOS76 said:

MAME some time ago incorporated MESS into it merging the projects the Software List and Software List CHDs are for those console systems where the SWL covers cart tape and flpppy based games ie NES, C64 the SWL CHD's are disc based systems ie Playstation, Sega CD.

Ya, I don't have any plans to touch SWL.  IMO, even the consideration of supporting computer platforms and consoles for MAME is ludicrous. I suppose if there was no other way I might take a peek, but I'd prefer to keep other platforms, like C64, NES, etc. far far away from MAME. The entire MAME process is a living nightmare - unnecessarily convoluted, complicated, incoherent and completely ill-conceived.

If it weren't for the small ease of use affordances from private trackers, the whole thing might be a non-starter for me today. At least beyond installing an handful of specific titles, one at a time completely manually.

Edited by Pixelpiper

MAME is pretty dead simple to use basically download and unpack emulator. Download ROMs. Move ROMs to MAME Roms folder. Double click .exe. Viola you are playing MAME with no issues, Now while its that simple to setup it is extremely nuanced and requires all different types of knowledge levels depending on how far you want to go with it. As to the software list thing basically there were a bunch of guys working on those consoles and computer to get them to work in MESS so by merging the projects the guys that were just working on arcade stuff for MAME were still working on that stuff so it not distracting from the MAME side of things there are just new people contributing their code towards the console side of thing. I personally like that the project has been merged and I only have to download one program instead of two. I use MAME for Atari 5200, Colecovision Matell Intelivision and Neo Geo CD in my set up. So having it all be able to run through the same program is a plus to me but you can still do that without SWL games from the MAME set through LB. It Just requires a few different checkboxes to work properly.

https://docs.mamedev.org/

Really can't recommend that enough as a learning tool if you are interested in learning how the program works.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

It's not so much the program, but the ancillary data that needs to go with it. Monolithic collections like full sets, SWL or even EXTRAS. I have little problem understanding it, it's just not even remotely close to how I would have done any of it as it has lead to such a low signal to noise ratio online - the amount of confusion and questions out there is mind boggling. I can understand the questions because I don't think I could have come up with a better way to make the entire thing more opaque and confusing for someone looking to get started. But the answers you see. Wow, some of them just leading people in circles and some just completely wrong.

I'll give credit to yourself, and others here on the LB forum. I've done a lot of searching and even when thinking the results will come up elsewhere, I keep coming back here as the advice is typically top-notch and well presented. There's a breadth of information here that goes well beyond LB and I truly feel that others who skip this forum will be missing out.

My Coleco, Intellivision, NES, SNES and a few other collections are about as complete as I need them to be, and they're all using non-MAME-integrated emulation cores via Retroarch, which is how I'd prefer to roll for as much as possible. I'd like to get Neo Geo going with the FB Neo core next.

Edited by Pixelpiper

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2020 at 11:25 PM, DOS76 said:

As an alternative to using CMP I really would suggest TorrentCheck

Thanks again for this suggestion, it's worked very well with the recent .220 set - simple to update my .219 and currently seeding full set of both. :)

What torrent updating doesn't work well for are monolithic files - for for example the EXTRAS which in addition to a lot of small files also has some giant ZIPs - if one of them is updated with even a single tiny image, it means throwing away the entire archive. SO moving from .218 to .219 meant 70% had to be replaced. But no worries, bandwidth is free and those torrents cost no ratio anyway.

Do you have any recommendations or links for how to manage/filter a limited or All Killer type display within LaunchBox while still keeping a full Merged set on disk?

For torrent updating going forward I'd like to keep full sets, but don't want every title exposed in LB. I don't mind also keeping a full Non-Merged set, but if it's possible to do it easily with a Merged set, that would be better as I've already got that set. :)

Edited by Pixelpiper

Hi guys.

New to launch box bought life time membership.

I downloaded mame .220 roms.They work as I have a raspberrypi. But as u all know when u download they are a mess eg doubles, revisions non working etc. 65gb cant find chds.

I have a membership with emumovies too.

My question is does launchbox merge duplicates etc for mame roms like it does for other platforms? or do I have to use clmpro before importing folder?

cheers

18 minutes ago, blackboxingcat said:

My question is does launchbox merge duplicates etc for mame roms like it does for other platforms?

Yes, use the fullset importer and all clones/revisions will be combined, and it only imports working games with the default settings.

Thanks for the fast reply neil9000.

That is awesome.so It basically does what clmpro does.

Sorry should have asked in original question.It will download all the art work etc vids too?

cheers

Just now, blackboxingcat said:

Thanks for the fast reply neil9000.

That is awesome.so It basically does what clmpro does.

Sorry should have asked in original question.It will download all the art work etc vids too?

cheers

It will download image media, videos will require a premium emumovies subscription, Launchbox doesnt host any gameplay video snaps.

• Thanks 1

hi guys.

I have mame rom set .220 37,500 supposed games and I don't have the chds.

My question is when I moved the files over into my launchbox library I ended up with 2700 or so games. Mind you big box is friggin awesome with emumovies stuff.

I left everything on default.Does anyone know if this sounds about right?

If im in the wrong forum let me know please and ill look around again.

2 hours ago, blackboxingcat said:

hi guys.

I have mame rom set .220 37,500 supposed games and I don't have the chds.

My question is when I moved the files over into my launchbox library I ended up with 2700 or so games. Mind you big box is friggin awesome with emumovies stuff.

I left everything on default.Does anyone know if this sounds about right?

If im in the wrong forum let me know please and ill look around again.

Thats about right. you dont have 37,500 games, you have 37,500 files, big difference. Launchbox with the default fullset importer options only imports working games.

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2020 at 11:25 PM, DOS76 said:

If you do CHDs this is my work flow for them. Due to the nature of CHD updates it usually only a few files so I download them to a path like Updates\CHD and when I start the torrent I only download the missing and wrong size files not the rest of the torrent if you use QBittorrent to download its important not to down load it to your existing folder because it will move the files you don't want to download into a unwanted folder which is not what you want to happen. After the download is finished I copy the files into my CHD folder.

TorrentCheck has been working great now for two updates. Very straight forward and relatively quick. For CHD specifically, do you seed back the new set? Using your steps above instead of doing it the same way as the ROMS, you save on the initial (lengthy) file checking, but the check still needs to be done later if trying to seed with the new torrent, right? 

Edited by Pixelpiper

I seed back just what I download I don't adjust it to seed back the entire torrent.

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

I seed back just what I download I don't adjust it to seed back the entire torrent.

Ah, OK, that explains the difference in process you mentioned then.  It took one hell of a long time to verify the 499GB. I've seeded back almost 1TB now. :)  Been a couple of months with only 10mbit up, but it's unlimited so why not.