LaunchBox Community Forums

Resolved - Wheel logos - Informational

Drybonz

I think the generally accepted approach is: -Ask the original authors if you can use them any time it is possible to contact them -Credit the original authors if you know who they were, or at least credit "the original author" -Don't sell the images If you guys decide you don't want to do that... that's ok, but the original problem remains... how to fill the gaps in the wheel logos, for which people are going to want for every game in their theme. One alternative is to find some artists here on your forums and set them to work... but that means your database is not going to be good to go for a very long time. So that is where the decision lies, IMO.

• 1 month later...

Sure, not sure if the Arcade one is really 100% complete; it probably depends on whatever pack from Hyperspin Circo used. Also, we're working on fixing up the EmuMovies search engine because files are occasionally missed and unmatched, so that is probably part of the issue.

• Like 1

Personally, I've always felt that they Hyperspin folks are setting a bit of a double standard. They attack people who sell hard drives with the images already set up claiming that they are stealing what is already free. They spread that message through visible emulation scene Youtubers like Simply Austin (Sorry Austin, in this regard, you are a part of that problem in this enthusiasts opinion) and then turn around and charge people for access to their services that basically just make it easier to obtain material that technically none of them own the rights to anyway.

Want to argue IP and/or Copyright? Because they would lose. It stops being fair use or any of that self justified nonsense the moment it lands on a pay for service whether you are calling those "donations" or to cover "bandwidth" costs or not. It just needs to meet a couple of pieces of criteria, to breach copyright and that was done some time ago. If we were a gaming mod community, we would just share the mods and give credit to the people that created the mod. End of story. But the emulation "scene" is one that has a lot of infighting and often shady activity such as embedding malware into installers, charging people for "bandwidth" costs whilst building an API that makes it easier to pull someone elses IP down. Charging for non public releases of closed source emulation (more of a moral issue on that one, but ethically I think most people agree OS is more transparent and would still be something we would be willing to separate with some cash on just to encourage developers I'm talking to you Cemu) At the end of the day, I'm just one opinion and it probably doesn't matter much in the bigger story. But I like Launchbox because we are fresh here. We are new. There is none of that drama or silliness. If we get an artist to approve us uploading a pack, great. Otherwise, I'm just as happy if we all just build this empire ourselves slowly over a few years. Want me to pull out my copy of PS and start dropping wheel art down? Point me to a system and I'm on it. It's not hard work when you love what you are doing... /Rant

• Like 1

Yeah, I take an active stance to do my best not to judge anyone else in this community (or any other products or platforms or communities). The legalities of everything are obviously an absolute mess. That said, my focus is on only using other people's work the way they intended and want it to be used.

I very much recognize the irony of people having credit for artwork that was obviously taken from a game to begin with, but I also recognize the amount of effort that goes into compiling the media, and that deserves credit.

• Like 2

It's the same nonsense that kindof drove me out of the MUGEN scene years ago. It has one of the absolute worst/most insane communities I've ever encountered, full of this same petulant BS. People would, almost universally, maintain a stance of "This is my character. I created it. You can't host it anywhere on your site and you have to link to my site or else I'll just stop sharing them altogether." I just wanted to say "No dude, you didn't create Wolverine. You ripped some sprites and added in a hitbox and possibly some AI. Hurray for you. I'm not saying it's not cool, I'm not saying I don't appreciate it, but you don't suddenly own Wolverine now. Sorry bub."

I'm not saying this stuff doesn't take time - I know it does first hand. I'm not saying credit shouldn't be given where credit is due. But beyond that, who in the hell cares? If people want to use the images I've created (specifically for this community, mind you) for a different front-end, be my guest. I'd like to know about it at least, but beyond that go right ahead. This is a really cool hobby; I see no reason to take some heavy-handed approach at segregating the emulation community into front-end pockets. To me that's completely off-message, counter-intuitive, and in some cases even hypocritical.

People just need to chill.

EDIT: I guess the only other caveat to them being used elsewhere is that they would need to be freely available. I'm sure as shit not gonna let somebody charge people for work that I've done and distributed for free.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Jason Carr    I'm pretty new here, so please ignore my comment if you think I'm pushing this "upload your media directly from launchbox" too far.
I was thinking about a slow start, only related to clear logos and boxes for PC games for now.

Why?

I'm sure we all add a lot of windows arcade / indies games to launchbox. And those games do not ask for work, you just type "gamename + logo" in google image, and you get an elegant transparent png logo straight from the press release or website.
There is no need for more photoshop  work, there is no author or anyone who could ask for credit.

Also, pc games are by far the category which is the most ignored by every frontends. Finding media packages for them is insanely hard, as there is so many of them.

So, with this feature only for pc games (all pc games, not only steam), you would get:

- a serious advantage over other frontends
- no risk of pissing anyone.
- a small experiment with no consequences to see if some problems could emerge.

How does it sound? : )

Edited by Aurel

Hi Aurel, no problem. That is actually a good idea for a start. I may get back to this stuff at some point, but in general it seems people are more excited about some other features rather than uploading media from LaunchBox being the most desired. That originally surprised me, but for now there are plenty of other things to focus on I think. But thanks, that does sound like a smart approach for when we get back to it.

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, I'm 100% sure  most people don't care at all about uploading their media.
I spend time to add clear logos and stuff, for my collection, but I'm not motivated enough to upload them somewhere to share this content myself, so I definitely agree with that.
That's even the whole point of using LB, not having to deal with media assets as they're supposed to be fetched by LB.
So, it never will be a popular demand obviously.

That said, what everybody wants is a solid game database with media in it.  (which is very far from being the case for windows titles for now, which contrasts very much with the fantastic other databases)
What if users could easily send their assets in a lazy way? Only a few dedicated users would make a huge difference I think.

Let's say there is an option in LB, asking if you agree to send a few of your media to the server to help the community. It is deactivated by default, no intrusive stuff.
Now, only if ticked:
from time to time, in a passive way, with a very limited bandwidth impact, LB could scans a few of the Windows titles and see if you have something the server doesn't have. Then, grab the media.

What a difference it would make for you guys!

Aaaaaand, that's it. I'm done bugging you out. Thanks again for the answer!

Edited by Aurel

• 2 months later...

Make sure you're using a view that shows the logos - that can actually change sometimes after you do an update. In fact, I think this last update switched mine to the text-view as well. If you have a button assigned to switch the view you can press that until you get to the one you want or you can do it through the options menu. I believe it's in Options -> View. It should be something like "Wheel Logo 1" for the normal clear logo view.

your hint fixed it. somehow the beta-update forgot to transfer that specific setting.

I would like to transfer everything EXCEPT GameCube and PS2 to my USB thumb drive. how do I do that? Just copy everything except those two system folders to the thumb drive?

does launchbox recognize the folders are missing and therefore not show them then? Or does it show them and crash when trying to access (because the folders/systems are not there)?

best wishes!

2 minutes ago, Naddel81 said:

I would like to transfer everything EXCEPT GameCube and PS2 to my USB thumb drive. how do I do that? Just copy everything except those two system folders to the thumb drive?

Assuming your roms are within the Launchbox folder structure, yes that should work.

2 minutes ago, Naddel81 said:

does launchbox recognize the folders are missing and therefore not show them then? Or does it show them and crash when trying to access (because the folders/systems are not there)?

I believe it will still show them, they just won't work when you try to launch them in your library. I've never actually tried doing this though.