LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows 10 Gaming App Store

dov_EL

As of right now there is no official way of doing this. It is on our list, but quite honestly it is looking very improbable. Microsoft does not want users to easily gain access to their WindowsApps folder. I've been trying to gain access to it so I can test manually importing these games in to LaunchBox so I can tell you it can at least manually be done, but I can't. They simply wont easily allow me in. If they can't let the user in, then it is going to be even harder for LaunchBox to read that folder to scan. I'm not saying it can not be done, but this is something that will take Jason and Myself a while to figure out.

It is possible but not easy if involves setting up shortcuts I launch my XBox One app from inside of LaunchBox I have a post on here somewhere that details how to go about doing it. I decided not be be lazy so here is the link . I couldn't find all of my apps in that location though so it may not be possible for the app you want to do it for.

Yea, they keep it locked down very tight, and for good reason. Piracy is a big concern for PC Game Developers. Of course our intentions are pure, just a nice way to launch the games you legally purchased, but that doesn't work for a company like Microsoft. So it can be done, but it will be a very very hard thing to accomplish for LaunchBox to make it an effortless system. We could make it work and walk the user through doing the large portions we currently need them to do for it to work like Derek has said, but we operate in the ease of use market. Steam importing is already more than we really wanted to make users do and that is just them supplying their damn Steam Profile name.

Ok I just dug a little deeper Almost all the apps I have pinned are in the folder the only game I have is an XBox Game and that isn't in the folder but if you launch the XBox One app you can then launch the game. I'm downloading a non XBox game to see if that works differently. Ok I did grab a game called March of Empires and it was included in the folder so yes you could set up the shortcut to Launch it the only games that wouldn't work for are the XBox/Microsoft games because the are in the XBone app but like I said set up the XBox One app in LaunchBox and then access those games from there. Here is the finished product. Windows-Store.PNG
  • Like 1

The worst thing about this though is that for every game you added you would have to add the shortcut as a new emulator making your list of emulators grow very large if you were using a lot of Windows Store apps. If you were to go this route you may want to use a secondary version of LaunchBox just for Windows Store games.

I'd like to revise my opinion that this was difficult because it is actually very easy to setup. It would be better if you could add the games from their folder but this does work. You just make a shortcut place the short cut in a folder inside of LaunchBox called Windows Store (or whatever you prefer) go back to LaunchBox click the add button fill in the name the platform and the path and you are all setup. The last game I added is an XBox game and it shows up in the list of apps so maybe it is just the Microsoft games that don't show in the folder. Windows-Store_0.PNG

Could an option to add Windows Store be implemented that would take you to the applications folder (basically run the Shell.AppsFolder like you are from the run box) and then a wizard that lets you add a shortcut for the game to your LaunchBox game folder or is it impossible for a third party application to be granted access to this folder? I mean the folder is very hidden it doesn't even have a path listed to it when you open it it just says Applications.

If you type in shell.AppsFolder in a runbox it will open Windows Explorer in a folder called Applications from there anything you right click on will offer you the option to create a shortcut it will then prompt you that the shortcut can't be made there and ask if you would like to place it on your desktop. I then made a folder in LaunchBox\Games called Windows Store and place the shortcuts in there.

That is strange but I just checked from the start you can pin something to the taskbar and then if you hit shit + right click it offers you the option to create a short cut from there. Are you on the stable version or in the Insider Program? Is it Pro version or Core? I don't know if they would make a difference but I'm in the IP and have Pro version of 10

DOS76 said It is possible but not easy if involves setting up shortcuts I launch my XBox One app from inside of LaunchBox I have a post on here somewhere that details how to go about doing it. I decided not be be lazy so here is the link . I couldn't find all of my apps in that location though so it may not be possible for the app you want to do it for.
Many Thanks !!! It seems very easy

DOS76 said That is strange but I just checked from the start you can pin something to the taskbar and then if you hit shit + right click it offers you the option to create a short cut from there. Are you on the stable version or in the Insider Program? Is it Pro version or Core? I don't know if they would make a difference but I'm in the IP and have Pro version of 10
Good to know. I'm running the pro version of Win10, but not in the insider program, so maybe that's it. Man, that's crazy. It's really stupid that it requires a 3-step process. Facepalm.

As a new method I would suggest disregarding the shell.AppsFolder method while yes it does work and it would acutally allow you to make multiple shortcuts at once (or at least quicker one at a time(so don't totally disregard it)) but you can pin an app to start and then right click it go to more and choose pin to taskbar then hit shift + right click on the taskbar icon and choose create a shortcut this works for even the Microsoft games that aren't in the AppsFolder so you can launch your MS Solitaire, Minesweeper, Sudoku or Mahjong from within LaunchBox/BigBox now too. You can then move your shortcut into LB games folder or leave it on your Desktop its up to you then you can even unpin the game from both taskbar and start and the shortcut will still work (eliminating clutter). I guess you could drag and drop all the games at once making a fake emulator path for all the games but not really using it. I've been adding the games one at a time and getting images from Google as I add them. There is no metadata found for any of these games.
  • Thanks 1