LaunchBox Community Forums

Genesis Plus GX Sega CD bios questions

Wolf_

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the price of carts, yes, that absolutely did spill over to the consumer. Games got cheaper the second they went to Disc, and N64 games on par stayed at a higher price. OoT was $80 at launch, in 1998. Carts just happen to be much cheaper per GB now, since things are exponentially much larger.

Just now, SentaiBrad said:

Sure, the Bit Wars, but... it was just about a farcical number on the box, not about resolutions and frame rates, not like it is today.

Well it still mattered a lot. People named their consoles after it like the Turbografx-16, Turbografx-CD, Sega 32x, Sega CD, Nintendo64. And consoles like the NeoGeo existed and still sold relatively well despite being 3 times the cost of any other console with games 15 times the cost. And don't forget "Blast processing"!

Just now, lordmonkus said:

But it was still power and graphic capability.

Sure, looking back we can say that it was the specification of the CPU, GPU and SPU's, but at the time it was just some marketing gimmick to say that they were better. Which, is exactly what is happening today I guess, or some people tie it to their self worth and to validate their purchase; However, games did not RELY on that fact, there were not magazines blasting those facts, or telling people they made bad purchases. It's a similar root reason, but to completely different effects.

I'd beg to differ, people cared that the Genesis version of EA sports games like NHL 94 ran faster and smoother than the SNES version. The internet just magnifies the shit out of it now.

I cared more about things like Mortal Kombat having blood in it. The extra power and "cool looking" console were just bonuses. But if I had to pick between the snes and gen then I would have to go with the snes. Dat A Link to the Past yo. Not to mention Mario.

Huh just realized my reasons for preferring Nintendo have basically staid the same for 30 years lol. Dem exclusives.

Just like today, different people chose systems for various reasons but people bought new systems because more power and better looking graphics.

Actually that isn't really true. People have basically realized consoles are just computers with fixed hardware now and if they want better graphics they get a pc because the limit of your performance in games is only set by your wallet. Not to mention the mods and hacks.

With every major game coming to the pc, xbox, and ps4 the only reason to pick up a modern console would be if something exclusive came out... *cough* ZeldaMarioSmash *cough* Or maybe if the console offered a feature your pc couldn't replicate... *cough* switch *cough*