LaunchBox Community Forums

mame not working

gizmo

SentaiBrad said
CriticalCid said Here’s the link to my tutorial for Clrmamepro: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/best-practice-for-keeping-mame-roms-up-to-date/page-2#p11536 Make sure you have a complete unchanged MAME Romset before you start. And I hope you didn’t already just replaced older ROMfiles with the ones from the update packs, that’s one of the main mistakes new users tend to do. @SentaiBrad I think my tutorial is quite buried in the thread in which I posted it in and even I have to search for it every time in my post history to find it. Maybe I should open a new thread only for the tutorial and you could pin it so that new users can find it very easily? What are your thoughts on that?
Please do.
Just did it. Maybe you can pin it up so new users could find it easier? https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/how-to-update-your-mame-romset-to-a-newer-version-with-clrmamepro @Gizmo: You should use Clrmamepro only for a complete MAME Romset. It isn’t made for just checking single games. I also think that lormonkus is right and you should just ignore Clrmamepro, Romlister, etc since they require way too much knowledge of MAME which you apparently don’t have yet. Like SentaiBrad said you should just grab a complete split ROMset and a MAME version which fits the ROM version. It’s roughly 50+GB in size. Even if you just want a few games for it you will need the full set for BIOS and other files which many games need to work.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

many thanks for all your replys , i am downloading a full set at the moment size is 52gb wow i wonder how many games there will be , all though it is suppose to be a full set how can i check with mame0173b to see if they all work or not , sorry this is the first time i have done this as i saw a vdeo on the net about launchbox and kodi and i am more use to kodi , but since seeing the video about launchbox i wanted to put games on my kodi build

Watch our tutorial series, I did one on MAME on our channel. You can get there by clicking the link in my signature. All of those games should work. The way the importer works is that it wont import every single file, like I said before 1 file doesn't equal 1 game. Leaving the importer at default will import roughly 4k games. In the tutorial I walk you through the whole process.

hi many thanks for your reply , i had a look at the video and it looks different from the one i am using , i have download a set and extracting them with 7.zip so far it has found 25.000 items and still going , do i put these in launchbox or mame as i am not sure how to use the importer on the mame version i have thanks 20160515_163207.jpg

I would keep the games in the roms folder in your MAME folder for simplicity. Your set may also look wildly different then any video's you may watch because you may have a newer set then the video had at the time. I used 171 or 172 at the time. That said, as long as you follow the tutorial you should be fine.

many thanks for your reply i have used mame0173b with mame 0.161 set , i downloaded 29.500 files after importing to launchbox i got 2,700 games but not one game will work it says in mame aboit missing bios thanks

Before importing your roms into Launchbox you should get a version of MameUI and use the audit tool to check all your roms. You can then view the non working games and skim over them to see if there are games in there you actually care about. Then you can right click a game and do an individual audit and it will tell you which roms are missing and what file it is expecting to find it in. Check all your stuff in MameUI first. That's how I do it anyways. I also don't use the latest version of Mame, I use a slightly older version.

I'm unsure too but I've been intermittently been using MAME since 07 when a buddy threw it on my laptop and I don't think I've ever needed to get BIOS files. Did anyone ask the OP if he is moving his games into the LB games folder or leaving them in there own directory? If he was moving only what he imported and it was skipping unworking games and bios files they would still be in the original directory while the game ROMs would be in LB this would create the scenario where your BIOS files would be missing. Also did he make sure the directory is correct in whatever version of MAME he is using?

MAME seems to have built in BIOS, which is why, especially for arcade games, does not need extra BIOS. I too got my pack and at least up to now BIOS games that came with it, work out of the box. At least I can tell you how you can check if you have some BIOS files. Look up neogeo.zip (or 7z, whichever you have). I know this is needed by Metal Slug at least. If you do not have it, you are missing BIOS files.

many thanks for all your reply the rom set i have got is mame 0.161 ROMs and using mame0173b and even mame0161b still no luck , i have got neogeo.zip in the set i download , even if i load the games into launchbox and then use mame0161b to play i get error saying about missing chd files? all though the download was 52gb , if i try and play with mame0173b i get no bios on system i did find this Mame 32 plus bios all, and tried these but no luck , thanks

The CHD's are for specific games that require them, not all do, and that pack is significantly bigger. That is about 350GB ish. If you have BIOS files, and a pack with a matching MAME version then are all of your games in the same location and are they all in the proper folder in your mame install?