LaunchBox Community Forums

installing launchbox

gizmo

Hmm, that's an odd error @gizmo. I'm guessing that somehow the permissions in your user folder got messed up. Is this the first time you're installing on this machine? You can try running the setup as an administrator, but I'm afraid if your permissions are messed up it might have an issue in LaunchBox as well.

thanks for your reply , we have installed launchbox before but was getting warnings from bitdefender on several files saying about virus, i have been having problems with launchbox for some time , getting correct roms, bios, etc allthough when i got a split pack of mame 173 the bios is suppose to be in with the pack but none of the games will run , i have tried to uninstall and reinstall , downloaded sereral packs of roms and bios but at the moment nothing seems to work , i have even tried to reinstall using admin still get the same error as above , thanks

Do you have the MAME games working outside of LaunchBox? If not its hard to say that your problem is with LB. When you downloaded the 173 split set did you copy the ROMs out of it and move them to MAME's ROM folder or at least change your directory either in the UI settings if you are using a version with a UI or in the .ini file. Are all of your arcade ROM still compressed? In LaunchBox if you go to tools, manage emulators then select MAME and edit is the Extract ROM Archive before running checkbox checked this box will completely break any MAME game from working as it needs to use the compressed ROMs. Basically though if you don't have an emulator working outside of LaunchBox then you can't blame LB as the problem. If you do have MAME working outside of LB then I don't know what your issue might be try looking at a few of the things I suggested.

hi thanks for your reply ok , if i try and install launchbox i get the error as above even after uninstalling and redownloading launchbox , with mame the 173 split set all roms and bios are in there own folder and compressed and not in mame rom folder,no games will work as mame is saying there is no bios on this machine, launchbox.jpgroms-and-bios.jpgbigbox.jpgmame.jpg20160527_131105.jpgproperties.jpg

Yeah I see that but I don't know how your directory structure is or which actual MAME emulator you are using. You say that your ROMs are not in the MAME ROMs folder so I don't know how you have it configured to see the folder you have them in.

thanks for your reply ok the mame emulator is on the same drive as the roms just in 2 different folders but in mame, bigbox , launchbox , all are showing the correct path , with regards to the roms we have told lauchbox to use them from there location , drive.jpgbit.jpg

Yea you either need to tell MAME the proper location or put them in their roms folder. As for BitDefender, this is saddly a common problem with them, and they are completely wrong obviously. This is what's called a false positive. Add your LaunchBox directory to the Whitelist feature of BitDefender, add the setup as well, or get a new AV solution.

thanks for your reply when i import the games i tell it to run from location as it gives you a choice to move or run from location, may i ask why you are saying there is no problem with launchbox in the way of virus , i have added launchbox to the firewall of bitdefender and it is still saying virus, the only way i can install launchbox buy saying ignore bit-1.jpg Untitled-19.jpg

Yes I am telling you it is 100% clean and Bit Defender is completely wrong in this case. It is actually commonly wrong. As for the roms, you can use them in any location as long as you've specified that in MAME. If you launch a single game through LaunchBox to MAME it may not know where to look for the rest of the files it needs. So either you need to have the roms in the roms folder for MAME, your 173 split pack with no modifications, or you need to tell MAME where your roms or located if they are located outside of the roms folder.

Hi @gizmo, try adding the *destination folder* that you are installing to (your LaunchBox folder path) to the Bitdefender exclusions list. If that doesn't work, then I'd say just uninstall Bitdefender and use the built-in Microsoft Windows Defender virus protection.

thanks for your reply , in post 14 it says add roms to rom folder in which i have done with bios and the games still will not load , i am a bit concerned about uninstall Bitdefender as i was hacked before , i have had several internet security products and some are better than others , i done a scan on launchbox with bitdefender and malwarebytes pro but nothing was found but when i try and install it bitdefender does not like it one bit , i dont know if adding destination folder for launchbox will help as just trying to install causes problems thanks

Yes, it's trying to install to the destination folder and some program on your computer is refusing to let it, so adding the destination folder to the exclusions list should work. However, if you have several different anti-virus programs installed on your computer (which is generally not a good idea, by the way), then it could be any number of them causing the issue. In that case you probably have a nightmare on your hands, and we're not going to be able to help you troubleshoot that.

thank you for your help and advice , i have now taken of bitdefender so i have just got windows defender and malwaresbytes pro , i have managed to install launchbox with no issues , the problem i face now is getting the games to work i will check out the videos you have and try and do what the video says but as i have got a split pack of mame 173 and using mame 173 emulator i dont understand why the games are not working if you import them through launchbox, as when i open a game in launchbox and then tell it to open mame it says there is no bios on this machine so i am thinking is this why the games are not working all though split pack 173 is suppose to have bios as well thanks

• 2 years later...