LaunchBox Community Forums

Xtension Two Player Control Board "Emulator Edition"

rmilyard

So I am getting this controller with the 2 player sit down cabinet I am getting for the kids. Looks like pretty much will work with MAME out of the box. Wondering if anyone else has this and used it with RetroArch or other EMUs? http://www.recroommasters.com/Xtension_Two_Player_Control_Board_Emulator_Edition_p/rm-xt-sd-board-ee.htm

rmilyard said So I am getting this controller with the 2 player sit down cabinet I am getting for the kids. Looks like pretty much will work with MAME out of the box. Wondering if anyone else has this and used it with RetroArch or other EMUs? http://www.recroommasters.com/Xtension_Two_Player_Control_Board_Emulator_Edition_p/rm-xt-sd-board-ee.htm
You should be able to use it with anything that takes keyboard input. The biggest problem with those is the plexi top... not friendly to modding... like if you wanted to add a spinner or other hardware. If you are not planning on doing that, you should be good to go.

@rmilyard Can't speak for the "Emulation" edition, but I have the "Pro" edition and sit-down cabinet. Very happy with it after almost 2 years. Was just a pain in the ass setting up the cabinet. Either the instructions were incorrect (which were poorly written) or one of the pieces of wood were incorrectly labeled. Had to take the whole thing apart when I was almost finished to switch a piece that was actually needed somewhere else. I choose the pro edition because it uses x-input, works with consoles, and was the only one with Sanwa buttons and joystick. I know its too late because you already ordered, but I remember emailing their customer support at the time asking if there were any specials and discounts. They were very/cool and gave me $100 off discount code. Do you know what size screen you will use for your cabinet?

Hi @rmilyard, I have this exact controller board and for most part I love it. MAME works out of the box, as the keys are configured specifically for MAME. You will need to reconfigure keys and such for Retroarch and other emulators, but it's relatively easy to do. Every single input/output from the board maps to a key on the keyboard, which works well enough. You can change the keys coming out of the controller with special programming, but I wouldn't bother. I'd leave them the same and just tweak emulators to match. Per using the controller, the quality and build is excellent. It has stood up to my kids beating on it very well. My one beef with it is there's a hard plexiglass edge all around the sides of it, so it can get annoying after a while when using it if you put your arm on the edge of the plexiglass.

imdavid555 said @rmilyard Can't speak for the "Emulation" edition, but I have the "Pro" edition and sit-down cabinet. Very happy with it after almost 2 years. Was just a pain in the ass setting up the cabinet. Either the instructions were incorrect (which were poorly written) or one of the pieces of wood were incorrectly labeled. Had to take the whole thing apart when I was almost finished to switch a piece that was actually needed somewhere else. I choose the pro edition because it uses x-input, works with consoles, and was the only one with Sanwa buttons and joystick. I know its too late because you already ordered, but I remember emailing their customer support at the time asking if there were any specials and discounts. They were very/cool and gave me $100 off discount code. Do you know what size screen you will use for your cabinet?
I got a 32" 120hz Vizio to put in the cabinet.

Jason Carr said Hi @rmilyard, I have this exact controller board and for most part I love it. MAME works out of the box, as the keys are configured specifically for MAME. You will need to reconfigure keys and such for Retroarch and other emulators, but it's relatively easy to do. Every single input/output from the board maps to a key on the keyboard, which works well enough. You can change the keys coming out of the controller with special programming, but I wouldn't bother. I'd leave them the same and just tweak emulators to match. Per using the controller, the quality and build is excellent. It has stood up to my kids beating on it very well. My one beef with it is there's a hard plexiglass edge all around the sides of it, so it can get annoying after a while when using it if you put your arm on the edge of the plexiglass.
Oh yeah the plexiglass! Sometimes when I'm on it for a long time and I lift my elbow/arm, it can hurt lol. I got to look into buying some table edge cushions or something for it.
rmilyard said I got a 32" 120hz Vizio to put in the cabinet.
I have a 40 inch Vizio on mine and I think its just too big when playing games that take up the whole screen.

• 2 months later...

I have the emulator edition and it is wonderful.  A bit tricky with PC games that require xbox controllers.  But Vjoy is the answer.  Would recommend it after having the tankstick xarcade smaller version.  I have made my own screen to go underneath the plexiglass rather than spend 100 bucks on one.  in my opinion way to much to ask for by recroommasters

• Like 1

Question for you all. So for MAME how should I setup buttons? The controller has 2 row of 3 buttons and 1 row of 2. So in MAME should I do 1-8? Heard somewhere do 1-6 skip 7-8 for last 2 buttons and setup as 9 and 10. Not sure what is best setup. Then guess so whatever is best for player 2.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, first-time posting here. I have Xtension Two Player Control Board Emulator Edition on a raspberry pi 3 and MAME. Certain games like Defender don't see the joystick properly (Can't fly left!) and others like Star Trek SOS don't work at all. Does anyone know where I can find support for things like this? I would love to get all games running 100%. Thanks!

Edited by 2Muchmark

Defender had a funky control setup, the joystick was 2 directional Up & Down and buttons for Thrust, Reverse, Fire, Smart Bomb and Hyperspace. The reverse button turned your ship around and you pressed thrust to move in the direction you were facing. You may be able to trick Mame into thinking that left and right on your controller is both reverse and thrust, I will tinker with this and see what I can figure out.

Edit:  I did a little bit of tinkering to try and trick Mames controls into something a little more user friendly but sadly there was nothing I could do that was perfect or even really good. The best I can tell you to do is while in game press "Tab" to bring up the Mame menu and the Controls (This Machine) and try and rebind some of the stuff for that game to your liking.

defender_panel.jpg

Star Trek SOS looks like it used a "Spinner" control so you will need to configure your controls in Mame to map your joystick to the left and right spinning. This is not ideal but it can be made to work but your mileage may vary with how well it does it.

AZC-StarTrek.jpg

Thanks for the reply!  I found Stargate which was the sequel to Defender, and it plays pretty well including the ability to change direction, so I m happy with that.  

For Star Trek, still no go.  I can't even "Insert Coin",  no matter what button or keyboard key I hit.  Too bad! It' was one of my most favourite games. 

5 hours ago, 2Muchmark said:

For Star Trek, still no go.  I can't even "Insert Coin",  no matter what button or keyboard key I hit.

Strange, I just tested it and assuming it's the same game it worked just fine for me to insert coin. The game I got is the vector line one made by Sega and is the only Star Trek game I got in my arcade platform.

Thats cool Lordmonkus,  congrats!  Can you help me figure out what is going on with mine?  I have the same game (Vector Arcade version from Sega), and like you it's the only one.  Maybe I have a different version,  or maybe I need a different version of Mame or Recalbox or EmulationStation,  I don't know. 

I'm really new to all of this as you can guess.  Thanks in advance!