LaunchBox Community Forums

What Kind of music do you listen?

nmc

Fair enough. I can listen to that kind of stuff in limited doses - I think a lot of it can end up being a bit samey and overlong though. I thought Electric Wizard were awesome when I first found them but I feel like most of their songs are fairly indistinguishable from one another haha. Detuned Fuzz: The Musical xD

To some degree yeah, but the reason I mention it specifically here is that it seems more pronounced than in other genres; to me anyway. Similarity is one thing, but to me albums like Dopethrone are effectively one big muddy, sludgey, fuzzy jumble where one track has little perceptible difference with those surrounding it. I certainly couldn't name a single track title if someone played say 10-second clips of them. I could with the vast majority of other music I listen to.

I get that that's kinda "the point", I'm just saying that's why I can only listen to it for brief periods.

Yeah, I agree that the stoner / sludge metal genre is probably one of the worst genres for it. Though techno / trance / EDM or whatever you wanna call it and country is just as bad.

I guess it starts to get more distinctive though when you find the bands / artists that you really gravitate towards and listen to more often.

@lordmonkus yeah absolutely. I could see people saying that Synthwave is all the same, and there are some bands out there that certainly are just super-derivative, but if I hear a track by Carpenter Brut, for example, I know that it's a Carpenter Brut song as soon as I hear it, even if I've never heard the song before. There's just a distinctive style/sound to it. And like you said, if it's something that you find yourself with a lot of affinity for (and familiarity with) in general, the nuances are going to be more pronounced to you than most.

For the record, I think Carpenter Brut would be a great Synthwave "gateway band" for metal-heads out there - there's a certain metal sensibility to a lot of it (as retarded as that may sound), even if the instrumentation is obviously completely different. If you like horror movies from the 80's, even better :D

Cool. Yeah I'm familiar with Zero 7 and Bonobo.

Here are a few of my own compositions that you might dig. My stuff tends to be...a little all over the place in style but these are some that are in the same kinda vein:

A lot of my stuff is instrumental but I did some vocals for this one:

@DOS76 never been a big Hip-Hop guy myself though I occasionally take dips (I enjoyed that Aesop Rock song more than I expected, actually).

I'm not sure if you'd like this but I really dig it. The New Law is this weird post-apocalyptic wild west themed trip-hop band... Most of their songs are instrumental in full disclosure.

7 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Oh wow, Digable Planets. That's some shit I haven't heard for a long time since high school. I'm sure I got my old cassette stashed away in a box somewhere.

I never get sick of DP's. They've been in steady rotation on my end since their fist LP dropped in what '94? From cassette to CD to ipod. Wish they would re-form like Voltron and give their fans what we so sorely miss.

Edited by alexis524