LaunchBox Community Forums

What Kind of music do you listen?

nmc

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Ahhhhhh yeah. New Perturbator album boyz.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I've been listening to a LOT of synthwave lately. I generally prefer the slower, more cinematic stuff, but I dig some Perturbator now and then.

Lately I've been on a mission to collect as much sequenced video game music as possible. I'm chasing down the original files, not mp3 conversions or commercial OSTs. So mostly game rips from old PC titles and cartridge based consoles/handhelds, but also stuff from the MOD, Cracktro, and Demo scenes. Soooo much good music, it's uncanny. if you're into this sort of thing, check out https://vgm.hcs64.com/ 

Oh, and I recently got Shovel Knight for my Switch - amazing game, I can't believe it took me this long to check it out. Anyway as I was looking for a music rip, I realized that the original NSF was made available when the OST was released! I even found an NSFE conversion with proper tags. So cool :D

3 minutes ago, garbanzo said:

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I've been listening to a LOT of synthwave lately. I generally prefer the slower, more cinematic stuff, but I dig some Perturbator now and then.

I'm a longtime Perturbator fan, and while his stuff has always been "heavy" I have to say I think this is the heaviest/darkest stuff he's ever done. There were several "Whoa..." moments in there.

I put together a "mix tape" playlist of stuff a while back for background music for City Hunter that you might be interested in:

7 minutes ago, garbanzo said:

stuff from the MOD, Cracktro, and Demo scenes. Soooo much good music, it's uncanny.

As a C64 nut that grew up with boxes full of hand-written-label disks of cracked games... I can confirm this haha. When I was a kid I didn't actually realize that cracktros weren't just part of the intros to games, many of them are that well-made haha.

That playlist looks awesome. I see a lot of great tracks in there, but also a lot of stuff I don't know. I'll definitely spend some time with it this weekend, thanks!

My current favorites artists are Xetrovoid, Zombie Hyperdrive, Waveshaper, Fantastiziser, Dance with the Dead, and VHS Glitch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2016 at 8:42 PM, alexis524 said:

love 50's and 60's progressive jazz. Love Davis and Coltrane, but honestly, they're too cliche.

I listen to all era's of Black Sabbath. Deep Purple. Iron Maiden blah blah. And Reggae. 90's UK Jungle music which went on to become Drum And Bass unfortunately.

I'm 38 now and for about a year I have started getting in to Jazz. Jazz is an acquired taste and I am slowly but surely 'acquiring' it. Some Jazz drummers I have heard....well I never heard anything like it, wow.  I thought I heard the best of drumming in Heavy Metal and Classic Rock but I don't think that is true now.

TL;DR - Try as I might though.....I just CANNOT get into Miles Davis. I just don't get his Trumpet playing. I don't get it. It sounds like he purposely want to screech that thing and sound out of tune. Or not even make a damn tune.  I dunno :'-(

Edited by JamesBond@ge

On 9/23/2017 at 8:30 PM, JamesBond@ge said:

I listen to all era's of Black Sabbath. Deep Purple. Iron Maiden blah blah. And Reggae. 90's UK Jungle music which went on to become Drum And Bass unfortunately.

I'm 38 now and for about a year I have started getting in to Jazz. Jazz is an acquired taste and I am slowly but surely 'acquiring' it. Some Jazz drummers I have heard....well I never heard anything like it, wow.  I thought I heard the best of drumming in Heavy Metal and Classic Rock but I don't think that is true now.

TL;DR - Try as I might though.....I just CANNOT get into Miles Davis. I just don't get his Trumpet playing. I don't get it. It sounds like he purposely want to screech that thing and sound out of tune. Or not even make a damn tune.  I dunno :'-(

Sonny Rollins was always one of my favorite jazz musicians:

The guy has an interesting story too; spent 10 months in Rikers for armed robbery, played with Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, and Miles Davis. One of the overlooked greats IMO.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...