LaunchBox Community Forums

swap disk

neogetter

@DOS76Technically yes, but personally I was a bit underwhelmed by the reality of that. I don't know what I was expecting but I feel like my test game (Riven) went from something like 3500MB in separate discs (5 discs / 700MB each) to like... 3200MB after the conversion was complete. I should still have it so I'll double check tonight. The difference didn't seem huge though.

Okay, so it was a little bit better than I remembered. In this case I'm saving about 172MB per disc in PBP format. It's not worth it to me to go through the process of converting my stuff over at this point (since I've already created all the m3u files) but if I was starting from scratch or just strapped for hard drive space this could add up over a large number of games. The conversion process does take some time though.

Separate discs:

File Size - Separate.jpgPBP:

File Size - PBP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2016 at 11:35 AM, Zombeaver said:

Yeah I'd love to see it implemented as I'm a big PSX guy and there are tons of multi-disc PSX games. I've already taken the time to create m3us where applicable for everything in my library, but this would have saved a huge amount of time. It'd definitely make things a lot easier for new users.

It should be mentioned that for PSX, specifically, PBP files created via PSX2PSP for multi-disc games are functionally identical to .m3us in RA, but I don't use them myself. The conversion process is more time consuming than just manually creating a .m3u file xD If someone already had a bunch of PBP files though, they work fine in RA/Mednafen using the same open -> next -> close method as .m3us.

Not familiar with PBP compression but wondering if this would work as an alternative to my situation. 

I'm a big fan of the mednafen core in RA and love the ability to swap discs via the .m3u format however I'm ditching RL and want to use LB to simplify my setup.

In my example, I have taken my multi-disc PS1 games, created a m3u file and compressed them into a single 7z. Yes, this means those random 3+ disc games can take close to a minute to extract...

When using Rocket Launcher, it will extract the 7z archive and then I can tell it to specifically load the m3u file... In LB, its imported as a 7z, it will extract, but then automatically load the .cue and not m3u.

I could just leave the multi-disc games extracted and import the m3u, but curious to know what options I had for compression. Make sense?

Thanks!

Honestly, PBP would be your best bet for multi-disc + single file + compression. PSX2PSP is the name of the conversion program. It's pretty straight forward - just select your disc images in order, name it whatever you want and tell it where to save it. Then just use the PBP in LB/RA as your rom like any other game. It still uses the open tray -> next/previous disc -> close tray keys in RA.

• Like 1