LaunchBox Community Forums

NeoGeo CD w/ Mess Tutorial

Lordmonkus

Really, cheers. I did exactly what the tut did with MESS. All I got was errors. Switched to MAME and it worked. Maybe it's just something in the configs. After I got it working btw I finally decided to really dive into the differences in the CD and regular versions of NeoGeo. It seems it does not differ that much except for longer loading times on the CD version and the CD music.

Edited by Tekkned
typo

Yeah it was most likely a configuration issue causing it not to work in MESS for you.

There are some differences in some games, mostly music.

Make sure you bind a button on your controller to fast forward to deal with those slow loading times, it defaults to the Insert key on the keyboard.

• 4 years later...
On 1/10/2018 at 2:19 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Everything should work exactly the same as in the tutorial but with Mame. I have a 186 command line version of Mame setup just for console stuff like NeoGeo CD and it works exactly like in the tutorial

Worked perfectly through MAME just as you said! Thank you!!!!
Only help I need is getting the game to close out when I hit esc. With regular neogeo games it works, but with neogeoCD games it does not. Seems to have something to do with the "don't use quotes" and "use file name only" checkbox maybe? But doing CD-i games that use same options as NGCD also exit properly.

Edited by 5thWolf

7 minutes ago, 5thWolf said:

Worked perfectly through MAME just as you said! Thank you!!!!
Only help I need is getting the game to close out when I hit esc. With regular neogeo games it works, but with neogeoCD games it does not. Seems to have something to do with the "don't use quotes" and "use file name only" checkbox.
That's the only config option difference between the 2 emulators config.

There is a dedicated neogeocd retroarch core these days.